Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FPS Death with 30 pop?  (Read 1215 times)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS Death with 30 pop?
« on: November 28, 2016, 10:09:10 pm »

Most recent version 32-bit, alpha-2 of DFhack, using therapist. FPS is generally at 25-30, but will sometimes perk up to 65-70. Both are too low, as I've usually gotten 150+ FPS with this population size. Seems like my FPS is dying for absolutely unforeseeable reasons? Is it just that the most recent version is badly optimised at 32-bit? I'm only using that version because it works with therapist. Would appreciate some help.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

atari911

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I get here!?
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of Atari911
Re: FPS Death with 30 pop?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 11:22:43 pm »

There is more to FPS death than population size. Sure that makes a difference too because of pathing but its not the only or even the main reason. Did you embark in an area with a lot of trees? Is it Autumn?
Running the entire world on a 2008 macbook!

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 11:38:25 pm »

Is every item accessible? They might be errorspamming due to a sock up a tree, down a well, or under someones desk. Or a pet kitten in one of those situations. Or a brace of merchants stuck on the edge of the map. Check how many "others" there are. Your dorfs aren't the only ones kicking the FPS.

Is it Autumn?

....I love this game.....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 01:19:04 am »

Are you in an evil biome? Just because the caverns are undiscovered won't stop zombie hordes from chewing through your FPS.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 07:42:23 am »

I have a waterfall generator but it's not on because I suspected it would have been causing the lag, but I was wrong. I am on a map with loads of trees but it's not autumn or anything; currently winter. Not on an evil biome either, and I am not getting job cancelation spams in my announcments.

In doing all the proper proscedure to save my FPS; restricting doorways to limit path finding, cleaning regularly using dfhack, atom smashing old clothes and refuse, etc.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 08:35:26 am »

The fact that your pop is so low and your FPS is swinging so wildly without an apparent cause suggests there is a possible pathing bug going on somewhere. Do you have fliers on the map like a flock of ravens etc? Things to look for include pets behind forbidden doors, stuck fliers, caravan glitching at the map edge. My guess is if you are restricting doorways, that it could be a forbidden doorway pathing bug causing the havoc. I have not experienced this one myself, but I have seen other people comment on FPS draining pathing bugs related to forbidden doors. Usually it involved free roaming pets as well. Maybe try unforbidding the doors and watch the FPS afterwards?

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 11:53:17 am »

I have a bird breeding farm and the nest boxes sometimes tend to get claimed by birds in another room, and they path endlessly through a forbidden door so that might be it. Also have a forbidden door to the first cave level that people may be trying to path through. Would sing a bridge instead of doors fix the issue?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 01:15:48 pm »

Using a drawbridge would not only solve any pet pathing issues, but would also solve the issue of an FB entering the fortress after destroying the door...

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 04:33:25 pm »

Things to look for include pets behind forbidden doors, stuck fliers, caravan glitching at the map edge. My guess is if you are restricting doorways, that it could be a forbidden doorway pathing bug causing the havoc. I have not experienced this one myself, but I have seen other people comment on FPS draining pathing bugs related to forbidden doors. Usually it involved free roaming pets as well. Maybe try unforbidding the doors and watch the FPS afterwards?

Forbidden (locked) doors work fine. The problem is with "pet-impassible" (tightly closed) doors. The issue is that pet-impassible doors are passible to dwarves, and the game uses the dwarf passibility map to route animals. So Fido can path to an objective on the other side of the door just fine, but, on encountering the door he can't open, immediately repaths right through the same door only to be blocked again ad infinitum. If the door is forbidden instead, it is marked impassible on the dwarf passibility map and animals are unable to path through it, preventing the infinite pathing loop.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 04:17:06 pm »

The pet will have a blinking ? on him when he is trying to go through a non-pet-passable door.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:44:08 pm »

The problem is with "pet-impassible" (tightly closed) doors. The issue is that pet-impassible doors are passible to dwarves, and the game uses the dwarf passibility map to route animals.

Technically, they aren't even impassable to animals - if a dwarf holds the door open for a moment, an animal can walk through. The only special property they have is that animals can't open them, which unfortunately doesn't stop them from trying.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 03:12:13 pm »

Technically, they aren't even impassable to animals - if a dwarf holds the door open for a moment, an animal can walk through. The only special property they have is that animals can't open them, which unfortunately doesn't stop them from trying.

By the same logic, locked ("forbidden") doors aren't impassable to dwarves since a theoretical kobold could open it for them. But debate over the definition of "impassable" aside, I chose "pet-impassable" as the logical opposite of "pet-passable", a game term. Feel free to suggest that Toady changes it to something like "animals-can-open" if you want.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 10:12:18 pm »

The effect of a pet blocking door is instant on a slower pc, sometimes it reduces fps from 100 to below 10. Locked doors, do not have this effect.

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 01:03:11 am »

Make a backup of your fort, then load up a copy and disable temperature in DFHack. See if that makes any difference. You could have some crazy shit going on in an unexplored area that involves a lot of temperature calculations. While you're at it, try using the clean all command, just so you can rule out a bunch of contaminants somewhere causing the issue.

A quick way you could rule out pathing as well, is to make a burrow in a sealable room, use military alerts to constrain you dwarves to it, then lock in all of your dwarves (and animals too) and wait. If your FPS still varies that wildly, then you've got a problem all the locked doors in the world cannot solve.

As a side note, I'd choke FPS to 40 or 60, just for consistent performance. Also, so I don't spoil myself by watching all my dwarves rocket around like they have JATOs shoved up their rears.
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 01:23:46 am »

Note that you can disable temperature and weather in vanilla, by editing /data/init/d.init.txt
[TEMPERATURE:YES]
[WEATHER:YES]
Not sure how you'd do it in dfhack.

This thread from early 2014 might be interesting, though unhelpful:100 Dwarves => 5FPS :/

And, heh. 100 FPS feels so slow after you started with 600 FPS on embark.
Pages: [1] 2