Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Question about Nobles. (Confused new player)  (Read 4545 times)

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Nobles. (Confused new player)
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 12:59:03 pm »

Also, if you do pick a noble with an item preference, make sure it is an item that you can live without as a trade item because it will regularly be forbidden to export.

Edit: if you don't activate Justice, be aware that the Noble will take bad thoughts from people ignoring his requests.  So another consideration for Noble selection might be to skip unhappy dwarves that you can't afford to lose (valuable skill, etc).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 01:02:34 pm by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 02:38:43 pm »

When selecting nobles I mostly ignore material preferences and instead target dorfs who have no preferences for any items. If they don't have item preferences they can't make mandates for them. Materials can still result in demands, but failure to meet demands are do not result in the murder of random productive members of the fortress by the injustice system (should you be brave enough to activate it).

If my hazy memory is correct, the appointment takes effect when the liaison returns to the mountainhome. Since the bugger is now boozing for a season or so in the tavern it can take some time.

This is correct. It won't happen for a decent bit.

Another tip with nobles - try to have their rooms completely done and at the wealth level they expect; you can see their requirements in the 'n' menu for nobles by viewing their details. I believe that giving a noble a sub-standard room generates more unhappy thoughts over a shorter period of time than giving them hovels to stay in until the construction is complete.
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 03:25:48 pm »

My new fort just became a duchy. It takes effect on the liasons next visit.
I chose a peasant named Mosus, figured he could lead the dwarfs of Bootscaly to the promised land.
 Well "he" is a "she", and she likes...bins!! I didn't check and it took a few trades to figure out.
Instead of killing her or something simple, I've decided to emotionally break her.
I literally just finished her 1*3 office and 1*2 bedroom in dirt. She made the 2 -wood- doors the wood table, +wood+ chair, -wood- bed. Meager office/bedroom  :P
She absolutely detests toads. Guess what's between her bed and the door?
Well hmn... uneasy near a caged toad..pleasure near her own fine bed!!? Pleasure near her own fine cage!! Well crap.
Plan B mass export of bins to dwarfs. Humans just left.
Plan C. Lock the bedroom door. :)

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 06:19:12 pm »

....and she likes...bins!! I didn't check and it took a few trades to figure out.
Instead of killing her or something simple, I've decided to emotionally break her.

I'd kill for a dorf who liked bins as much as I do. Useful-item mandates are great. Just allow mandated items to go to the trade depot, and then don't sell the bins with the trade goods. Win win. Plus, she'd remind me with mandates to make more wooden bins every now and again (metal bins are too heavy, I don't like them much) Pity you can't build bins into her bedroom though.

Instead I'm stuck with Duke I-Love-Rings who constantly wants me to make them, but does not like the idea of me selling them. Useless items bother me. I need to remember to write in display cabinets, so that I can have a ring-display-room. Sigh. It's one of the few things I really like that hasn't become vanilla.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2016, 07:15:23 pm »

....and she likes...bins!! I didn't check and it took a few trades to figure out.

I'd kill for a dorf who liked bins as much as I do. Useful-item mandates are great. Just allow mandated items to go to the trade depot, and then don't sell the bins with the trade goods. Win win. Plus, she'd remind me with mandates to make more wooden bins every now and again (metal bins are too heavy, I don't like them much) Pity you can't build bins into her bedroom though.

Instead I'm stuck with Duke I-Love-Rings who constantly wants me to make them, but does not like the idea of me selling them. Useless items bother me. I need to remember to write in display cabinets, so that I can have a ring-display-room. Sigh. It's one of the few things I really like that hasn't become vanilla.
Yeah, my king just loves buckets, bucklers and bracelets, wish i could just make piles of featherwood bins and barrels to please my ruler, that would actually be useful. So ive now got like 50 buckets and bucklers ill never use, since i made a bunch of proper shields and cant see why youd use a buckler instead of a shield, and I assume someone is wearing all these bracelets, still useless clutter. Baron loves maces it seems, and the mayor loves catapult parts, ive yet to even attempt to figure out siege weapons, but i could build a lot of them.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 07:17:01 pm by Weizen1988 »

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2016, 12:54:43 am »

All mandated items can be destroyed after the mandate is met without issue, unless they are masterworks, then the crafter gets upset. Trading them may be a no no, but melting those bucklers is ok.(NONmasterworks) toss those buckets in magma or atomsmash em.
Use workshop profiles so a dabbler/novice makes them -buckler-.

Yes meeting a 3 bin mandate isn't a problem, banning bin export is.
You can leave mandate culling on and shift enter, scroll to next page, repeat, to get stuff to the depot.Bins hold a lot of crafts/clothes each, and that shift enter scroll thing gets old fast if its all 3 caravans ....really not fun.

I noticed my duchess eats at her "study" since she has no dinning room.
I moved the hallway door into her study 1 tile, I moved the toad into the doors old spot.
Now she must pass the toad to eat/leave and to sleep/leave, its on the hallway side of the door,  so she no longer owns a fine cage ;)
if she gets upset enough she wont meet the elven diplomat, and the tree contract will end...

Goatmaan

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2016, 10:13:23 am »

All mandated items can be destroyed after the mandate is met without issue, unless they are masterworks, then the crafter gets upset. Trading them may be a no no, but melting those bucklers is ok.(NONmasterworks) toss those buckets in magma or atomsmash em.
Use workshop profiles so a dabbler/novice makes them -buckler-.

Yes meeting a 3 bin mandate isn't a problem, banning bin export is.
You can leave mandate culling on and shift enter, scroll to next page, repeat, to get stuff to the depot.Bins hold a lot of crafts/clothes each, and that shift enter scroll thing gets old fast if its all 3 caravans ....really not fun.

I noticed my duchess eats at her "study" since she has no dinning room.
I moved the hallway door into her study 1 tile, I moved the toad into the doors old spot.
Now she must pass the toad to eat/leave and to sleep/leave, its on the hallway side of the door,  so she no longer owns a fine cage ;)
if she gets upset enough she wont meet the elven diplomat, and the tree contract will end...

Goatmaan
Does setting fire to trees count the same as cutting them down? Do they still care about dead trees? Is it only surface trees? If not my elves will be quite upset with me. I kinda just set my whole caverns complex on fire by pitting trolls into a magma tube, had no idea mist went that far.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2016, 10:35:36 am »

Yes the elves care about cavern trees, and they count towards you're treaty. They have some sort of treedar and know they're gone.
I've heard it takes a lot to get them mad, so a onetime event shouldn't be too bad.

Goatmaan

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2016, 11:11:50 am »

Goatmaan is correct in that the pointy ears care about shroom trees as well and include those in the count. However, I don't think killing trees with fire will be blamed on you (nor disintegration with ballista arrows). Most fires are caused by FBs and surface fire breathers. Also, most trees survive fire, although the occasional one does not. Fire is a lousy way of trying to clear an area of trees.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2016, 11:24:19 am »

Goatmaan is correct in that the pointy ears care about shroom trees as well and include those in the count. However, I don't think killing trees with fire will be blamed on you (nor disintegration with ballista arrows). Most fires are caused by FBs and surface fire breathers. Also, most trees survive fire, although the occasional one does not. Fire is a lousy way of trying to clear an area of trees.
Wasnt trying to, was trying to dispose of the 40+ trolls and trogs filling up my animal storage, they seem to spawn in huge numbers in the cavern and charge my lines of cage traps. Making me waste too many materials keeping those cages operational, didnt expect such a large plume of mist, set the caverns on fire, spread through the whole first cavern so far. Good to know they care about even mushrooms.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2016, 11:28:50 am »

Patrik,
I'm pretty sure a gone tree counts, irregardless of "how" it gets gone.
New fort so I can't do tests...check your treaty....do a cavin on some trees..or do your ballista trick on a tree...check your treaty see if it changed.

Goatmaan

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2016, 02:15:38 pm »

Hm, interesting. Definitely worth investigating. However, I can't since I play dead civs, and thus don't have to put up with snotty neighbor demands.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2016, 03:59:21 pm »

I can try the ballista one, but it'll be late tonight. Need that workshop anyhow.

Goatmaan

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2016, 07:06:30 pm »

Yeah, my king just loves buckets, bucklers and bracelets, wish i could just make piles of featherwood bins and barrels to please my ruler, that would actually be useful. So ive now got like 50 buckets and bucklers ill never use, since i made a bunch of proper shields and cant see why youd use a buckler instead of a shield, and I assume someone is wearing all these bracelets, still useless clutter. Baron loves maces it seems, and the mayor loves catapult parts, ive yet to even attempt to figure out siege weapons, but i could build a lot of them.

Buckets and barrels can be built into ashery workshops in vanilla, and dyecraft workshops too. Just build the workshop in your Kings quarters somewhere, and raise the value of the room effortlessly, while using things he likes. If you make prepared food for sale and profit, put it in stone jars instead of barrels, so that you don't have to trade away the barrels. I try to keep my food in non-wooden stuff anyhow, in case I want to sell off some prepared food to the elves for a particularly interesting musical instrument.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2016, 07:44:00 pm »

Buckets and barrels can be built into ashery workshops in vanilla, and dyecraft workshops too. Just build the workshop in your Kings quarters somewhere, and raise the value of the room effortlessly, while using things he likes. If you make prepared food for sale and profit, put it in stone jars instead of barrels, so that you don't have to trade away the barrels. I try to keep my food in non-wooden stuff anyhow, in case I want to sell off some prepared food to the elves for a particularly interesting musical instrument.
Im actually working on converting to clay pots and stuff, less work than wood, ive got fire clay here so ive got infinite material, but my dwarves clearly love barrels. first artifact, amethyst barrel, few artifacts later, hematite amulet celebrating the amethyst barrel, next one, turquoise statue celebrating the amulet celebrating the barrel. Maybe ill try to put all the barrels in a temple or statue garden or something.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4