Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you eat a dead Werebeast?  (Read 2163 times)

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can you eat a dead Werebeast?
« on: November 24, 2016, 02:13:21 pm »

I have been watching Marcus Aurelius' Anvilquested DF video series and in Part 10, the Were Elephant attacks the fort.

I wondered if, after a Werebeast is dead, can you butcher and eat it or are you just lining up more FUN?
Caselabs S8 : Intel i5-12600K / 64Gb DDR4 3600 / Asus 1080 Ti / Samsung 980PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / Windows 11

Caselabs X2M NAS 24Tb : Intel i3-8300 / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS ROG Strix H370-I / 4x WD Red 8Tb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Corsair AX860i / APC SMT1000I / unRAID Plus 6.11.5

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can you eat a dead Werebeast?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 02:31:26 pm »

You can neither butcher nor eat sapients. An elven fortress would be different, provided elven ethics were applied (you'd have to mod DF or get it bugged to get an elven fortress).

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 03:48:14 pm »

Ah right... I understand. It is not as though Marcus had an actual elephant (in this case) to butcher. It was a mound of half-elephant, half-human hair and gristle. Ew!
Caselabs S8 : Intel i5-12600K / 64Gb DDR4 3600 / Asus 1080 Ti / Samsung 980PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / Windows 11

Caselabs X2M NAS 24Tb : Intel i3-8300 / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS ROG Strix H370-I / 4x WD Red 8Tb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Corsair AX860i / APC SMT1000I / unRAID Plus 6.11.5

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 03:59:43 pm »

I'd forgotten about elves and cannibalism. Heh.
....So will an elf eat a sapient while he's also working as a swordsman (or a bard) in my fort? Or is it "when in Rome"?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 07:43:20 pm »

I believe local customs take priority. You wouldn't want goblin visitors to apply goblin ethics on murder, for instance, and sapients under the rule of a different race adopt the ruler's ethics (Snodub the Dwarf leaving a trail of bodies behind before joining your fortress as she grew up among goblins before joining a human civ and then yours).
You can appoint elves as wood cutters or wood burners, although they're supposed to be rather unhappy about that (whether that unhappiness is modeled is unknown to be, though).

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 08:31:45 pm »

You wouldn't want goblin visitors to apply goblin ethics on murder, for instance

Funny you should say that.  I decided my tavern is too full of visitors.  My locals can't even get in.  I happened to have a goblin in the fortress, so I appointed him tavern keeper, with the hopes of murdering all the visitors.  Unfortunately, there are so many that he can't seem to serve them fast enough.   I tried to give him helpers, but my whole fortress is full of hardened military dwarfs and they just go to personal combat training instead.  Sigh...

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 08:52:20 pm »

You wouldn't want goblin visitors to apply goblin ethics on murder, for instance
Funny you should say that.  I decided my tavern is too full of visitors.  My locals can't even get in.  I happened to have a goblin in the fortress, so I appointed him tavern keeper, with the hopes of murdering all the visitors.  Unfortunately, there are so many that he can't seem to serve them fast enough.   I tried to give him helpers, but my whole fortress is full of hardened military dwarfs and they just go to personal combat training instead.  Sigh...
Yeah, I've got a similar problem. As an experiment, I have been moving my tavern to random places in the fort. My next plan: To put it in a place with no food or drink, where I can then lock the door and wall it in, so that the workaholics are the only survivors. I'll probably end up with several places At War with me, but I figure it will work so long as I choose a moment when I'm not inundated with diplomats, just with dancers, bards and other entertainers. It's not like I'm killing them, I'm just depriving them. Knowing my luck, the Plan will coincide with a werebeast attack, and the only survivors will be in the tavern at the time....
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 08:55:43 pm »

The only proper response to a theoretical inquiry at BAY12 is "I don't know, can you?"
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 04:12:40 am »

What you say sounds backwards. If you wanted to get rid of the visitors it would seem good to me to only have the visitors in the tavern, rather than the locals. It should be easy to target the locals specifically, though, by setting up a citizen only tavern with a close by booze stockpile, lots of tavern keepers, and removal of the training facilities from the off duty military.
I tried to make a visitors only tavern by placing it out of the way and have a resident only tavern centrally, but for some stupid reasons the locals insisted in running back and forth to the visitor tavern all of the time rather than use the good local facilities. (I wasn't trying to set up a visitite mine at that time [although it would prepare for one], but rather set up a vampire visitor trap, but it didn't work because I found all visitors, including petitioners, always go to the target zone first, and then from there to petition, so the trap would get every petitioner. I'm working on a new, better design...).

@Thisfox: It's unlikely visitor killing would induce war with your trading partners. It seems to take a lot to push them into war.
If you don't want visitors, just lower the visitor cap in the appropriate .ini file. Most of those you have will drift off, and the remaining ones will be the bugged overstayers.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 12:53:24 pm »

weirdly enough, if you check the "fat" tab of a food stockpile, you can find the options to disable werebeasts fat and tallow, along with the fat and tallow from bogeyman, which aren't even on fort mode.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 10:33:11 pm »

weirdly enough, if you check the "fat" tab of a food stockpile, you can find the options to disable werebeasts fat and tallow, along with the fat and tallow from bogeyman, which aren't even on fort mode.

i once asked why dwarf human and elf tallow were options, and the anwser i got was along the lines of df just automatically creates variants for every single type of creature with fat, even if its impossible to obtain
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 11:39:43 pm »

Funfact:  the check to prevent butchery comes before the task gets put in the queue. I have hacked a unit's data to make it a nondwarf momentarily, so the job would issue into the queue, then paused the game and reverted the hack to see what happens.

The dwarf with butchery labor will lead the to be butchered dwarf to the butchershop, strike them down, and process the body into meat, fat, hair, and bone objects. They appear perfectly edible too.

Only possible with hacking to get the task past the check and into the job queue.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 12:05:52 am »

The dwarf with butchery labor will lead the to be butchered dwarf to the butchershop, strike them down, and process the body into meat, fat, hair, and bone objects. They appear perfectly edible too.

...Surely they get a sad thought from eating a friend? Or using friend-tallow soap?
Nice to think Nobles have a use (with some hacking).