Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Lone Galaxy [SG] Ep. 1 - Strain of War  (Read 7998 times)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: Lone Galaxy [SG] Ep. 1 - Strain of War
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2016, 07:40:49 am »

@Chiefwaffles  It was perfectly fine.  It can be really boring to attempt to process every single event, and it's not something we need to be consulted on for every decision.  Only critique, would be the communication calibration/translation took place after we had jumped.  Something I think we would have done first, cause ya know, I like all my bits intact, especially the tin can. 

Something we need to know:
During the transport of the aliens, did we or them, take off helmets or otherwise breath the same air?  Contamination, and potential foreign diseases could be troublesome, and it wouldn't be great to accidentally infect the world's superpower's leader with the common cold.  It's quite possibly though, that the diseases and biology between isolated ecosystems are remarkably similar, but I consider that a remote possibility.  Better safe than sorry. 

If we did take off our helmet, or what not, put it on when stepping off the ship.  I assume the visor can toggle between shading (to screen from solar radiation,) and two-way see through.  Or it's clear and a mute point. 

If we didn't, leave it (helmet) on.  I cite the above logic.
+1
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2016, 07:03:28 pm »

You recall back to your encounter with the aliens. They were wearing environment suits but you were not. Currently, they're still fully geared up with helmets on, so you put your Vacuum Suit back on and toggle your helmet. Ideally, it should prevent any kind of contamination for either you or them.

The leader stares at you in what you assume is an impatient posture.

2 systems away from next Waypoint.
Spoiler: You (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ship (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cargo (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2016, 07:09:04 pm »

Go meet the leader I guess
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2016, 08:49:04 pm »

Assuming we have downloaded the translator to the wristcomp, say "Lead the way" and gesture towards the door.
Go meet the leader I guess
+1
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2016, 08:56:27 pm »

You motion for the Leader to exit in front of you, and both of you walk together across the pavement followed by a group of weary crewmembers. In the air you see aircraft buzzing past noticeable low to the ground, leaving an intricate pattern of trails behind them. Across the garden to both your sides, you see crowds starting to form. In the distance dead ahead, the large building grows nearer. You'd describe it as something closer to a palace after getting a closer look at it. But you continue on walking in silence.

Eventually you reach the grand doors of the, well, the palace, and more of what look like soldiers or guards armed with weaponry start to accompany you through the halls. You walk through the building, admiring the alien decorations while noticing the Leader's awe as well. Clearly, they must have never been here before. Eventually after a complex trip throughout the building, you reach a room on one of the upper levels. A guard opens the door and allows you and the Leader in while others herd the rest of the survivors elsewhere.

Inside the room lies more glamorous furnishing and decorations that you wouldn't even imagine of back at home. A single alien - a man - sits at one end of a circular table. A guard walks the Leader over to a seat next to this strange man and sits you down across the small table. He introduces himself as the leader of the "Planetary Union", a name that your translator luckily picks up due to the more straightforward nature of it.

After you and the Leader describe what had happened at his request, you now have the opportunity to ask any questions or requests or do anything on your mind. You're sure he has some point to make or request of you at some point, but for now you have the metaphorical floor.

You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2016, 10:13:56 pm »

PTW
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2016, 01:28:04 am »

Ideas? I'm stumped.
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2016, 02:52:31 am »

Ask about the nature of the conflict and how the gravity generators and weapons relate to it.

Try and con them or play it strait?

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2016, 08:17:09 am »

Ask about the nature of the conflict and how the gravity generators and weapons relate to it.

Try and con them or play it strait?
Let's play it straight as curiosity. Do mention that our tear drive is overloaded due to the gravity generators though.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2016, 02:45:04 am »

You explain your situation a bit more - specifically the problem with your Teardrive and your conclusion that their apparent "gravity generators" are the culprit. You ask about the conflict and the relations of the aforementioned gravity generators to the conflict.

"You're referring to our conflict with the vile rebels that call themselves the 'Free Nations of [NAME]', surely. These 'gravity generators', as you call them, were developed shortly before the war started, and almost all our military technology is based off of it by now. We experience occasional skirmishes such as the one you must have seen, but the war is mostly confined to an arms race." He looks down, seeming to ponder something, then continues. "I'm sorry to hear about your 'Tear-drive', but I do not believe we can do anything about it. We do not have any research into shielding of this 'strain' and shutting down the generators for any period of time is simply not an option."

The alien stops his conversation with you and beckons for a guard. The guard presents what you assume to be some kind of tablet or mobile computing device to the alien, and he starts to browse it in search of something. Once he finds whatever he's looking to, he looks up to you and begins speaking once again.

"We may be able to find a more cooperative stance if you accomplish a task for us. This may be abrupt, but your arrival presents us with an opportunity. Using your 'tear-drive' technology, your ship would be able to slip past their defensive network. We need you to deliver an explosive device to a certain set of coordinates on their planet. If you do it quick enough, arrive at their planet like you did at ours, and use some additional techniques to delay their tracking, you will be able to deliver it and escape without any conflict."
You see a small smile emerge on his face. This is the first time you've seen any of these aliens smiled; you assumed that it just simply wasn't a concept known to them.
"If you do this for us, we will definitely be able to help you find a way to continue on your journey."

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2016, 05:14:20 am »

hold up, we got some more questions. First off, how did this war all start? Second off what exactly is the target for this bomb we are supposed to plant, anyway? We don't want to become a part of mass genocide here, even if it is mass xenocide.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2016, 09:15:34 am »

hold up, we got some more questions. First off, how did this war all start? Second off what exactly is the target for this bomb we are supposed to plant, anyway? We don't want to become a part of mass genocide here, even if it is mass xenocide.
+1

Glory to United Forenia!

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2016, 12:50:15 pm »

+1
+1
It's much preferred to not have your face on that. 

If it's military, I think we can manage taking part.  If civilian, HELL NO!

@Chiefwaffles Whatever works best. 

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2016, 06:53:23 pm »

He frowns when you ask him about the bomb's target location.
"It's at a ...military, target. Civilians are not present in the impact area of the bomb."
He looks back down at his tablet then up at you again.
"It's a tactical target. We are certain that destroying it will completely nullify their war effort, allowing us to effortlessly move in and reclaim the planet without any further loss of life, ending the war."

You ask him about the war. About how it actually started.
"It was part of a terrorist organization's agenda. While we were in the process of settling the planet, they managed to corrupt the citizenry of the planet and convince them that what we were doing was unjust. I assure you, everything we did helped them. When the communication systems were still being set up, they accused us of ruling their lives from afar. When we instituted a tax that was already present here, they convinced the colonists of our apparent evil intentions. Soldiers that were present to guard against crime without an established police force were painted as an occupying force. Eventually they started sabotaging our attempts to help and aid the colonists and claimed that it was intentional."
He leans back slightly into his chair, continuing his story.
"Eventually they managed to seize control of the planet's defense network. As we were not prepared for war and they possessed a huge amount of resources, we weren't able to rally a large-enough fleet in time and our existing military ships could not breach the defense network. It's been this way for [years] now, with each side constantly looking for ways to exploit newfound flaws in the other's defenses. Theirs being more reckless and harming to civilians."

With the end of his story, he leans back towards the table and looks directly at you.
"So? Will you help us end this war?"

EDIT: Removed duplicate GM note.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:44:12 pm by Chiefwaffles »

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2016, 07:41:42 pm »

Considering all other options, help them.  We have only their word to go on, and they have been helpful to us so far.  And, we have a light speed-equipped craft. that they aren't aware of how it works.  That might weight into their judgement a bit towards not tricking/lying to us/him.  Probably won't be as easy as it sounds, (never is,) but we have nothing else we can do.  Unless we want to risk dying to get the other sides story, which I don't recommend.

@Chiefwaffles  Might as well attempt dialogue. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7