Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I was lamenting having too many Smiths  (Read 1418 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
I was lamenting having too many Smiths
« on: November 20, 2016, 02:24:17 pm »

My Fortress is quite young, and thanks to a recent culling by a web-spewing Coral Hill Titan, I was facing a severe shortage of Peasants (the important Dwarves are forbidden from dangerous hauling/construction/wood cutting labors).  I actually had to dig a second wood stockpile because nobody was moving the boulders occupying half of the first one.  That's just a fraction of the important hauling that needs doing.  The Fort started to even out, and several migrant waves arrived despite the danger.

I was thinking about what I could do with all of these Smiths.  I was training as fast as my charcoal supplies would allow, but you ultimately only need 1 Legendary Smithy.  Then, as if sensing their impending demotion to construction peasant, inspiration struck.  Again.  And again.  And again.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Easily the greatest set of moods I have ever encountered in DF.  I even had a Dog Bone Buckler and Leather Skirt earlier, but those Dwarves were eaten by a Vampire Bat and subsequent infected Vampire, respectively :(  Still though, these Dwarves have ensured that they will only be working a total of like 2 months out of the year when I need a new batch of weapon traps or helms.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I was lamenting having too many Smiths
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 05:03:37 pm »

I presume you intend to give the buckler/mail/warhammer set to some great hero of the fort?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 05:54:18 pm »

I presume you intend to give the buckler/mail/warhammer set to some great hero of the fort?
The hammer & mail have gone to my captain, yes.  However, since the material of a buckler/shield does not matter, ultimately a shield is better due to greater coverage.  I actually have 2 artifact bucklers; one bone and one steel, both of which have been assigned to my Marksdwarves.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 09:49:18 pm »

Not really related, but if you make a stockpile and there are already some items in that area (like stones), it doesn't take up space in the stockpile.  You can still put wood over it.  If I understand correctly, this is one of the things that allows quantum stockpiles.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 02:23:33 am »

Lazy buggers! But hey, you got two weapon- and armorsmiths each. It could be time to dig deep for the magma and set up a military industry. Heck, even turning out a bazillion metal bolts would be a good start. You can also start forging a ton of gold furniture. Train up a gem setter and decorate all those things. Food, wood, clothing, etc. can all be imported from the caravans.

OT: AFAIK stuff on the stockpile is also in the stockpile. Quantum stockpiles work by exploiting dumping objects by hand or mine cart (or dfhack's autodump...) on a stockpile tile. Since they are now in the stockpile (even if piled up) all workflows (take from / give to) will now respect this. Using a single tile stockpile saves space and reduces walking distances. (I do not use them, though).
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 11:15:17 am »

1 Smith, enough? Maybe for a starters, but for any job:
What if they go to pray, or sleep, or are currently on military duty?

For the smith will perform better with cross-training...Also, hauler combat interruptions are hilarious when everyone in your fort has been trained to legendary combatant, even without metal armour.

I would suggest having 2 dwarves for each job you consider important to get done in timely manner at all times. Which means 4, if they train in military half time (or 3, if third time).