Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An Idea for a civilzation building game.  (Read 683 times)

fourtytwo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An Idea for a civilzation building game.
« on: November 19, 2016, 10:57:03 pm »

This will be my first attempt at making a game that is likely to end in ruins. So lets get to it. This is a very much a WIP project, I will gladly give the idea to anyone who actually wants to turn this into a forum game. This game is based off of the Civilization series. One of the main problem is finding a way to turn this into a generic game without the need for a complex map.

1.Main "Resources"
Gold : Used to buy things mainly, has many purposes.
Science points (SP): Used to advance your Civilization
Culture points (CP): Keeps your population happy, Used for policies
Happy: Determined by events,buildings, and your Culture, keep this high, or else your people may revolt.
Population (Pop):How much work power you have, I said work power because a civilization with 20 Pop is not really a civilization.
Housing: Needed at least one housing for one Population.

2.The land system.
Land is very valuable, because you can only build one building on one piece of land. At the start of the game you only have 10 Land, you can get more by exploring them. When exploring new lands, it requires one explorer, and what type of land you get is a determined by a dice roll.

1:Unsuitable land for settling (Basically you can't do anything with it.)
2. Regular land
3. Regular land
4. Regular land
5. Regular land with either a natural structure,(Valley,river,hills,etc) or a resource
6. Land with both a structure and a resource. (Score!)

(This is only a rough model, feel free to edit the chances to what you see fit.)

For example if a explore 10 land this is the result I might get
Unusable land X2
Regular land X3
Land with iron ore X1 (Can make iron with it)
Land with fruits X1 (Extra food)
Land with a mountain X1 (+1 free defended place,)
Land with river X1 (Extra food, housing bonus)
Land with a cliff and and sliver (+1 defended place, Extra gold from sliver)

There is only a limited amount of land in the world, the exact number is yet to be determined, but be quick, otherwise other civilizations will take them.

2.5 Whats this defended place thingy all about?
To put it simply, building buildings in a defended place makes them harder to take. More on it later in the combat section.

3. Food
Your people need food, building farms allow them to survive and grow. You must have at least double the amount of food than people to grow. Each person will consume one food per day, if you run out of food, happiness will drop, and people will start to starve. (Exact calculations yet to be determined)

4.Jobs
You can assign your people to do certain jobs.
There are 5 main jobs

Agricultural: Produces food, worker will be more productive with farms and other food related buildings.
Industrial:Builds stuff, produces Production points (PP), These points can be used in many ways. Works better with mines, factories, and other Industrial related buildings
Sciential: Produces SP, workers will be more productive with labs and schools and other science related buildings.
Commercial: Produces gold, workers will be more productive with banks and other commercial related buildings.
Cultural: Produces cultural,  workers will be more productive cultural related buildings.

5. Building buildings (WIP)
You can either build buildings with PP, or with gold. It's suggested you build your more important buildings in defended locations.
List of buildings

Farm: Produces food, works better with farmers.
Pasture: Produces food,and some gold, works better with farmers. Requires animal breeding
Fish farm: Produces food,and some gold, works better with farmers. Requires a river.
Mill: Small production and food bonus.
Blacksmith:Produces PP, needs iron.
Mine: Produces PP, needs Mining (Tech), and something to mine.
Factory: Produces PP, requires Electricity (Tech).
Market place:Produces gold.
Bank: Produces gold, requires currency (Tech)
Park: Produces Cultural
Movie theaters: Produces cultural, requires (Electricity)

You get the idea

6. Combat (WIP)
Want to take someone's stuff? Attack them. To take their land/buildings you must defeat their army proportional to the land you want to take. For example

Player A has 200 land.
If player B wants to take 20 land, along with the buildings on them, he has to defeat 10 % of their army in a single fight.

So how does the actually fighting work?

(Player's A unit's)*(1D6)
         V.S
(Player's B unit's)*(1D6)

Of course depending on how much tech and other perks you have, the dice roll vault might be modified.

Who ever has the higher number wins.

If Player B wins
They kill the amount they won by.
If that number is over 10% over Player's A army
Player B takes his 20 land.

If not Player B still kills the units, but they get nothing.

So in the long run, it's smarter to take small amounts of land over time, rather than try to take over half the nation in one attack.

There is a slight chance with each attack you take their resources if you win.

7.Bonus Resources
The resources system is a lot simpler than in the civilization games, If you find resources will explore land, it sort of goes into your inventory automatically. These resources will not go away until,

A.You rent/sell them to someone
B. Someone takes them.

8. Spies (WIP)
You can produce spies and try to hinder other civs by:

1. Destroying buildings.
2. Stealing their gold
3. Stealing their tech
4. Sabotaging their army.
5. Stealing resources

9. Diplomacy

Trade agreement: The two civs exhance goods, these goods can be anything from Land,buildings,tech,units,gold,food,resouces...etc. You can't sell culture or PP.
Research Agreement: The two civs together research something, staying ahead of the rest.
Mercenary: Simple, you pay someone to attack someone eles
Peace agreement: Much like a trade agreement, expect peace is included. If player A attacks Player B, Player A may demand stuff for peace.

THIS IS STILL A WIP. Feel free to add on, or comment on.I myself, can't be a GM, so someone else can take this idea and try to make it into a full size forum game.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
Re: An Idea for a civilzation building game.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 11:23:43 am »

I like the theme, but frankly you'll just soon end up posting and juggling massive spreadsheets, at which point you'll give it up and go play a proper 4x on the computer...
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: An Idea for a civilzation building game.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:59:03 am »

Nice! I suggest, keep it very simple.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane