Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Battlefield 1 or Titanfall 2?  (Read 13893 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 1 or Titanfall 2?
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2016, 08:44:26 pm »

That and multuplayer being a clusterfuck are the main reasons I refunded.   Don't think I'll give titan fall 2 a try
Shoes...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2016, 12:48:55 am »

It's mostly to do with the fact that they've got a WWI game in which maybe 2-3% of the players are using unscoped bolt action rifles. That's the single greatest factor that can set a WWI game apart from the usual fare and they didn't even bother trying. What it honestly should have been was for that to be the standard on all classes, with assaults also getting access to trench guns, the LMG class also getting access to those (built in a way that makes them useful as LMGs, rather than very inaccurate assault rifles). Recon get their scopes (and I'd also give them the semi-automatic carbines, sans large scopes, to let them fill the role without camping at the edge of the map, but drop the damage so that their TTK is higher than an accurate bolt action shot), medics get rifle grenades (and maybe also give them and recon better pistols).

There. You've now got >50% of the players using bolt-action rifles, most without scopes. I'd bet most people wouldn't even bitch too much about it. They certainly didn't back when Coddlefield games had unscoped bolt actions before, those saw plenty of use.

As it stands they really should have just made it an alt-history steampunk game if they wanted everyone in "WWI" to have submachine guns and semiautomatic rifles. Or made another WWII game. :V
FUCKING THIS
AAUGHGG WHY I JUST WANTED TO BE A SADBOY WITH A BOLT ACTION

Sounds like someone needs to try Verdun :)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2016, 03:31:24 am »

I tried Verdun but it felt really awkward and unfinished.

I decided to keep playing BF1 until my refund goes through and then I'll decide what I want to do.  Give it a chance, at least. 

I still feel like I"m playing in a clothesdryer, and while I don't like the way guns are distributed I can see why.  Bolt actions only work from a gameplay standpoint when you can expect to kill somebody with them.  If it's gonna take two or three shots to kill a guy no matter what I'm gonna go with the gun that can do two or three shots in less than five seconds.
Shoes...

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2016, 03:48:58 am »

I grabbed Verdun recently, and after initially struggling with it I found it pretty fun. I'd say I'll probably end up getting my moneys worth. Some good people and the right map go a long way to having a fun time. It is pretty harsh if you are used to Battlefield 1 style running and gunning though. Keep at it for a bit and see if you change your mind.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2016, 06:43:13 am »

I grabbed Verdun recently, and after initially struggling with it I found it pretty fun. I'd say I'll probably end up getting my moneys worth. Some good people and the right map go a long way to having a fun time. It is pretty harsh if you are used to Battlefield 1 style running and gunning though. Keep at it for a bit and see if you change your mind.

It looks good, although 4v4 sounds a bit small - are there NPCs (ala titanfall) as well, or is it just small squad tactics?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2016, 10:21:15 am »

There are 4 squads per side though, so its actually 16 vs 16.

Some devs were in a game the other day, and they seemed opened to larger scale games in the future too.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2016, 10:58:46 am »

There are 4 squads per side though, so its actually 16 vs 16.

Some devs were in a game the other day, and they seemed opened to larger scale games in the future too.

Ahh hadn't realised it was 4 squads each - thanks for clarifying. A lot of the comments made it sound like it was just 4 players vs another 4 players.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2016, 01:26:36 pm »

It wasn't the difficulty.  Maybe I played it in early access or something but it had that sort of slapdash Source Mod feel to it.
Shoes...

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2016, 11:20:04 pm »

Was this a while ago? It definitely feels rougher than B1, but then it is a much lower budget game. Apparently though it has improved a lot since the early access days.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2016, 05:30:16 pm »

It wasn't the difficulty.  Maybe I played it in early access or something but it had that sort of slapdash Source Mod feel to it.

Early on it definitely felt that way, but the games I've played lately seem, I dunno, more realish? Few games make me shit myself like Verdun has.

I haven't played TiF2, but BF1 sure is fun. It's obviously not very accreate, but I've had some fantastic moments.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2016, 08:41:45 pm »

While we're ont he subject of realism, parachutes.  There were very few/no parachutes in world war 1.  The best you had, maybe, was a folded up parachute under your seat.  No spring-loading, no backpack, just fabric, strings, and hold on tight.

If that didn't work, well, they didn't give you the sidearm to shoot your way back to friendly territory.
Shoes...

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2016, 08:44:49 pm »

I think it's unfair to criticize battlefield for realism details like parachutes.
It's battlefield. What do you expect? A hyper-realistic simulator? Battlefield bases gameplay off of what the developers feel the players would find fun, and I'm very certain that the extreme majority of Battlefield players would not like not having parachutes either.

Besides, I'm pretty sure most modern soldiers aren't issued with parachutes like every other Battlefield game would suggest.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2016, 09:27:51 pm »

I think it's unfair to criticize battlefield for realism details like parachutes.
It's battlefield. What do you expect? A hyper-realistic simulator? Battlefield bases gameplay off of what the developers feel the players would find fun, and I'm very certain that the extreme majority of Battlefield players would not like not having parachutes either.

Besides, I'm pretty sure most modern soldiers aren't issued with parachutes like every other Battlefield game would suggest.

From what I gather, the complaints seem to stem from it being more a WWII shooter with a WWI coat of paint rather than a WWI shooter.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2016, 09:41:33 pm »

From what I gather, the complaints seem to stem from it being more a WWII shooter with a WWI coat of paint rather than a WWI shooter.

I think that's mainly because the primary weapons bleed into what people are familiar with for WW2 shooters. Outside of the prevalence of SMGs and self-loading rifles, though, there really are a lot of differences. The stripper clip / single round reloading dynamic for a number of weapons, awkward weapons designs and sights, fairly different planes, and very different vehicles combined make for a different environment than a WW2 shooter. I'd argue that, at least.

[Of course, WW2 shooters never really had the most accurately representative arsenal either.]

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2016, 12:00:43 am »

Welp. BF1 is on sale for 33% off for Black Friday right now, so I'm gonna pick it up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8