Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what does "zero rent" do?  (Read 4926 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
what does "zero rent" do?
« on: November 16, 2016, 02:02:50 pm »

in df>data>init>d_init there is a config option called [ZERO_RENT]
below is an excerpt of the file
Code: [Select]
Use these options to remove features from the game.  Permitted values are YES and NO.  Removal might speed the game up in the case of temperature and weather.

[TEMPERATURE:YES]
[WEATHER:YES]
[ECONOMY:YES]
[INVADERS:YES]
[CAVEINS:YES]
[ARTIFACTS:NO]
[ZERO_RENT:NO]
[TESTING_ARENA:YES]
[WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_DWF:NO]
[WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_ADV:YES]

what does it do? is it related to the unimplemented economy? if so why is the default setting "no"? wouldent setting it to "no" mean that the economy is on?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:09:18 pm by steel jackal »
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what does "zero rent" do?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 04:31:19 pm »

It's a relic from the economy days that hasn't been taken out. Setting it to yes probably means you can set tiny, bare-bones rooms or dorm beds to no-rent so people who don't earn money can find a place to sleep.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 04:35:03 pm »

hm, interesting.
do hope that the economy gets reimplemented someday, though there are a lot more interesting things i hope will come first.

some days i forget that DF is alpha, and when i do remember that fact it just amazes me to think of how uber complex this game will one day become, even compared to the 3 foot thick manual that we have now

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 05:18:42 pm »

And that manual's old, if you mean the CaptainDuck one.

Economy's on the backburner, but it's still a goal. The issue's mostly with stacks of coins getting broken down. Until we can restack things so they don't have to be seen individually, we can't have a coin system that won't tear apart memory.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 05:29:42 pm »

but for now we get to imagine this when using coins http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160848.msg7195437#msg7195437

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 07:52:57 pm »

The economy was still broken when strict credit was used. I never minted coins, because if you did, your dwarves would do nothing but move them around all day.

The problem really was the weighting system on how much dwarves were paid, and how capricious on setting prices nobles were.

Urist Mcmayor likes pigtail? Oops! The price if cloth just went waaaaaaaay up.

The combination was destitute dwarves who could not afford to live in squalid 1x1 rooms full of vomit.

That is why zero rent was a thing.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 08:10:25 pm »

The economy was still broken when strict credit was used. I never minted coins, because if you did, your dwarves would do nothing but move them around all day.

The problem really was the weighting system on how much dwarves were paid, and how capricious on setting prices nobles were.

The combination was destitute dwarves who could not afford to live in squalid 1x1 rooms full of vomit.

oh how interesting that the older versions of df must have been in their even more alphaness. i think i joined in 0.34

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 08:16:15 pm »

You missed out on Urist McBaron mandates crystal glass beds, x10. (And refusing to do any work at all.)

Coupled with hammerings.

Fun times.

If you want a more complete feel for the old economy feature, read the talk page.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d_Talk:Dwarven_economy

I can attest to basically every horrible thing it mentions.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 08:27:52 pm by wierd »

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 12:23:47 pm »

So just like real life?  ;)

LordKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 07:37:55 pm »

On the topic of the economy and coins, my previous mayor kept mandating the minting of coins, so I made a bunch of copper, silver and gold coins and gave him a hoard in his quarters (he also kept banning export of bins which I interpreted as him trying to prevent bulk exporting due to him having an obsession with hoarding riches). 

Seeing as 500 items are made per crafting, and I also see dwarves are actually filling pouches and carrying significant amounts of coins around, will this be particularly FPS intensive? Might be a no-brainer question, but I'm not sure what the biggest performance sinks are and how they work.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:39:50 pm by LordKnows »

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 08:41:03 pm »

As far as I know stacks are considered 1 item, DF only has to make 1 wear check, 1 temperature check, usw.
When stacks are split I suppose this becomes a concern, the economy probably won't be reinitiated for a while though, so possibly such considerations of FPS will be moot at that point. Maybe, DF's future has always been rather vague.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 08:41:55 pm »

Three biggest:

Creature vector depth.
(Every creature simulated, ever, in your fort will be in here. This list is completely processed every game tick. As it gets bigger, this takes longer and longer to complete. )

Item vector depth
(This is like the creature vector, except for inanimate objects. This is evaluated Many Times per tick, as it gets queried on basically every job assignment, so that TSK locking can be evaluated and assigned. Since items do not path, this is less expensive than the creature vector, but still very significant.

AI pathing computations
(Pretty self explanatory. This is why FPS death happens frequently on uncorking the HFS.)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:43:28 pm by wierd »

LordKnows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 08:53:54 pm »

As far as I know stacks are considered 1 item, DF only has to make 1 wear check, 1 temperature check, usw.
Ah, thanks. Checking now, I'm not finding many people wearing pouches, though I swear I saw some earlier. Anyway it won't be a significant number and I can keep my coins around. I like having the yearly editions of them, maybe even trying to spread them in trading or adventure mode later.  :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:55:55 pm by LordKnows »

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 10:05:33 pm »

Weird, do you happen to know what it is doing with creature vector depth?  I assume updating dead/alive status, etc, but I'm kind of curious.  Also, you mention "ever".  If you have an invasion with a couple of hundred creatures and they leave, do they still show up in that calculation?  Or is it simply creatures who are on your map, whether dead or alive?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 01:50:42 pm »

The people you want to ask for that are quietust and Putnam.  I know generalities, they know details.
Pages: [1] 2