Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Texture packs  (Read 2741 times)

cmitc1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Texture packs
« on: November 15, 2016, 07:27:14 pm »

I heard from a friend that I can get texture packs for this game? The graphics right now kill me, and I was wondering where I can get them and how to activate them.

tehepicwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Texture packs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 07:28:49 pm »

I personally downloaded the game with the Lazy Newb Pack. The LNP comes with tilesets that you can choose from in the pack launcher window.

cmitc1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 07:35:10 pm »

I personally downloaded the game with the Lazy Newb Pack. The LNP comes with tilesets that you can choose from in the pack launcher window.
that sounds nice, where could I find that?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 07:38:57 pm »

General, and modding subforums.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 08:14:33 pm »

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■) http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 10:18:28 pm »

do note that lnp isnt updated to the latest version because of issues getting memory layouts for the 64bit version of df, which is new.

lnp has some great utilities that will help you when learning the game, but if your intrested in all the !!FUN!! you will have from playing without utilities heres how to install tilesets (thats what we call texture packs)

step 1: find the tileset you want, the wiki has a tileset repository. tilesets are just a single image. i personally reccomend taffer if your looking for something simmilar to default, but square. and obsidian for something more fancy.

then head to where ever you put df and go to (i think) data, art, tilesets. im not at my computer atm so i cant check.
put the tileset there and then look for the init folder, there should be 2 diffrent init files, init and d_init. in one of them there should be 4 lines where it says ”"curses_800x600" replace all the instances of that with whatever the file name of your tileset is called.
note that any worlds already generated will need to have their raws replaced to use the new tileset.

also, in case nobody has given you a proper welcome:
welcome to the bay 12 dwarf fortress forums, please leave your sanity at the door and throw your morals down that bottomless pit over there.
around here, throwing a child into a pit of pulsating spikes surrounded by trained war dogs constantly clawing at them for the next 8 years of their life, murdering members of nobility and passing their death off as an unfortunate accident, and torturing elves for sport is all considered common practice and good fun.

this is a safe place to let your inner psychopath that wants to commit complete global genocide upon every living creature in the most creative and horrendous ways possible roam free
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:30:43 pm by steel jackal »
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 04:11:18 am »

If you're using Windoze and only want a nice tile set you can also use the bare bones windoze pack http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159849.0 and still use the latest DF version.

steel jackal exaggerates the depravity of the DF forum community, though. The community generally recognizes the distinction between what's done in game and reality, so there are few barriers (but still some) for what's considered OK to do in game, but there are no suggestions these things would be acceptable in reality.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 09:42:28 am »

If you're using Windoze and only want a nice tile set you can also use the bare bones windoze pack http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159849.0 and still use the latest DF version.

steel jackal exaggerates the depravity of the DF forum community, though. The community generally recognizes the distinction between what's done in game and reality, so there are few barriers (but still some) for what's considered OK to do in game, but there are no suggestions these things would be acceptable in reality.

everything i say should be taken with a grain of salt and some common sense ;)

cmitc1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 09:48:35 pm »

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

this is great, thank you.

do note that lnp isnt updated to the latest version because of issues getting memory layouts for the 64bit version of df, which is new.

lnp has some great utilities that will help you when learning the game, but if your intrested in all the !!FUN!! you will have from playing without utilities heres how to install tilesets (thats what we call texture packs)

step 1: find the tileset you want, the wiki has a tileset repository. tilesets are just a single image. i personally reccomend taffer if your looking for something simmilar to default, but square. and obsidian for something more fancy.

then head to where ever you put df and go to (i think) data, art, tilesets. im not at my computer atm so i cant check.
put the tileset there and then look for the init folder, there should be 2 diffrent init files, init and d_init. in one of them there should be 4 lines where it says ”"curses_800x600" replace all the instances of that with whatever the file name of your tileset is called.
note that any worlds already generated will need to have their raws replaced to use the new tileset.

welcome to the bay 12 dwarf fortress forums, please leave your sanity at the door and throw your morals down that bottomless pit over there.
around here, throwing a child into a pit of pulsating spikes surrounded by trained war dogs constantly clawing at them for the next 8 years of their life, murdering members of nobility and passing their death off as an unfortunate accident, and torturing elves for sport is all considered common practice and good fun.

this is a safe place to let your inner psychopath that wants to commit complete global genocide upon every living creature in the most creative and horrendous ways possible roam free

psh, I have been in worse communities.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 10:06:06 pm »

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

this is great, thank you.

psh, I have been in worse communities.

oh you must have seen 4chan, that place makes us look like angels

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 12:29:49 pm »

With almost 2 years invested, 40.19 Anvillocked is doomed by the "Nemisis unit load failure" bug, and 7 days after the save point CTD's every time. Grrrr.

So it's finally time to upgrade to 64 bit 43.05!
I had been wondering about using tilesets like the OP, and as usual Patrik supplies the perfect answer AND a link. Thanks Patrik!!
Still no reply from dffd on my "incorrect username" but ill get Anvillocked's 119mb zipped save posted soon.

Goatmaan

My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.