Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Everyone is feverish, how worried should I be?  (Read 1191 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Everyone is feverish, how worried should I be?
« on: November 14, 2016, 07:16:28 pm »

Long story short, haunted jungles are terrible places to live.  Virtually every dwarf in my fort and all of my livestock now list the "Fever" condition.

This doesn't seem to impair them very much, but it's pretty disconcerting.  Plus, the entire population blinking red X's all the gets distracting.  I'm not sure how to prevent this problem entirely short of stopping everyone from going outside ever again, but the best I can do is a shower system to wash all of their contaminants off.

Asceticism aside, should I be worried about this?  And why doesn't my Chief Master Diagnostician consider "everyone is burning within their skin" a problem worth reporting?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone is feverish, how worried should I be?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 07:51:41 pm »

Sounds like a forgotten beast syndrome. Dwarven malaria is not a thing yet.

Is there a puddle of extract/blood somewhere?
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 07:59:10 pm »

Sounds like a forgotten beast syndrome. Dwarven malaria is not a thing yet.

Is there a puddle of extract/blood somewhere?

There's no mystery about where it's coming from.  Like I said, haunted jungle - it's raining some foul substance everyone gets covered with when they go outside.  At least, I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the fever.

If I can wash people off and keep them indoors, they should be fine.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 08:19:45 pm »

as long as its just a fever its not that big of a deal, but you should probably invest some time in a cleanable bathtub if you have a source of water.

here is a top down view of how i make my tubs

Code: [Select]

##X##
#~~~#
#~~~# <bathtub
#~~~#
##X##
#~~~#
#~~~#
#~~~#<"measuring cup"
##X##
# is arbitrary floor
~ is where water should be
X is floodgate

the bathtub contains 9 tiles of water, dwarves can walk in water levels of 4 or less, so if you fill up the measuring cup with 9 tiles with a water level of 7 and then let it flood into another 9 tiles that are empty, the average water level will be 3-4, allowing your dwarves to get clean without drowning them.

first, open the floodgate into the measuring cup, let it fill to a water level of 7, close the floodgate, then open the floodgate into the bathtub, the water levels will even out to 3-4, then close the floodgate. whenever you need to clean the tub just open the floodgate leading out of the bathtub and out to wherever you drain it at. repeat to refill.

place it at the outside entrance to your fort, and the entrance to the caverns. never know if theres a dead forgotten beast down there with gut exploding secretions that will infect your entire fort without you knowing and then one day everybody just starts dying for no reason and you loose the fort (this happend to me once, ever since then i have been wary of the caverns)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:23:45 pm by steel jackal »
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 08:44:25 pm »

Be glad that fever is the only symptom! Fevers reduce focus, which might be mildly irritating for soldiers, and might cause stunning if it's particularly intense.

I've had a Sinister Glacier where the only weather was ash storms that caused blistering so intense, affected individuals bled to death on the spot, and contact with even a single unit was enough to kill, albeit over time.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 03:17:27 am »

We had a community fort die to forgotten beast extract covered egg roasts... sort of like having badly prepared fugu. We reclaimed and tried to clean up. Some overseer unforbid the egg roasts. Fort dies again.  :'(

I never get around to implement a bath tub for all entrance paths, I am open to the surface and two of three caverns - I somehow never got around being interested in the second layer, as the third had cave crocodiles (no breeding pair, though). The last FB I killed had "deadly dust" and all dorfs that got caught in it were spreading miasma, and the [w]ounds status screen is red, brown, yellow, ... some grey. All lost their vision.

Moral: build bath tubs or showers. Make them self cleaning (look at the forum and the wiki to see how).
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.