Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there an insect based race?  (Read 1119 times)

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there an insect based race?
« on: November 14, 2016, 05:07:53 pm »

I have looked a lot for an insect-esque based race for Dwarf Fortress and, especially for Masterwork.

I found a wasp race, but it was abandoned and if I recall didn't have fancy artwork like the other races in Masterwork.

Is there anything like that, any insect (doesn't matter what). Or anything planned? Or is there too much to work on already?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Is there an insect based race?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 05:10:53 pm »

Hoy, I was the main guy in the wasp race, which ended up being abandoned when Than kinda disappeared on me and Heydude and myself both just lost interest.

I do plan on doing an insect-based race for MW in the near-future, once I get a job and money and all that to actually support myself.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 05:12:03 pm »

Hoy, I was the main guy in the wasp race, which ended up being abandoned when Than kinda disappeared on me and Heydude and myself both just lost interest.

I do plan on doing an insect-based race for MW in the near-future, once I get a job and money and all that to actually support myself.

Ah, awesome! I look forward to it. An insect based race seems perfect for Dwarf Fortress, and definitely lacking as far as races go.

Any particular things you had in mind for it, or not sure yet?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 05:57:49 pm »

I did like the whole reproduction system we had going with the wasps, and I'd like to incorporate that into the race the next time around. What we did was the queen spawned tame eggs every now and then. the eggs were considered animals so they could be penned/pastured, chained, whatever you wanted. When they 'hatched' (transformed) they turned into larvae, which had a single bite attack which, if not deflected or blocked, would kill them and give the subject a syndrome. After x time had passed, the host would be killed and the worker or warrior (or a 1 in 9000 chance of a queen) would be spawned. It was very dfhack intensive.

Another thing I liked about the insects was that it was very easy to fuck it all up in the endgame. Even your most powerful soldiers (barring creatures summoned from the depths) could and would be taken out by a competent dwarf with an axe. One thing the wasps could do was coat themselves in metals, be it adamantine, steel, copper, lead (if you wanted). I fondly remember sending my adamantine-coated soldiers against a squad of humans. Half of them died, two were injured (but recoverable thanks to the biomass tech) and three were unscathed. Ten humans lay dead.

Wasps are unique in that they are both over and under powered at the same time. One of their natural attacks, stinging, would paralyse the target for a good time. This meant that against early, unarmored enemies or animals, they were quite powerful. However, even copper armor would completely stop the sting of a worker-caste, and Iron would stop a uncoated soldiers stinger. Adamantine-coated wasps could puncture most things, however there was a brief window where the target could fight back. Due to the wasp's exoskeleton, they were extremely frail and one broken bone would KO them, an easy target for a human with a broadsword.

So growing your hive turned into an art form where you caught animals that were strong enough to survive the bleeding proc from the larvae bite, but not strong enough to kill all the larvae before they could bite. You could pit multiple larvae against the animal, but then the animal would bleed out twice as fast. It really was a task in and of itself, but profitable once you get your hands on it.

One last thing I did like was that if another queen showed up on the map, all wasps with line of sight of either queen loyalty cascaded. This turned a 1/9000 chance into an event. At the end of the loyalty cascade, you either had one dead queen and a lot of other wasps dead, or two dead queens and a lot of bugs dead and without leadership.

Hive-building was pretty cool. A wasp could turn a log into something like 8 blocks of paper cement. paper cement was ultra-light for use in construction, and strong enough to use for starting armor, although it didn't hold up against proper forged armor looted from invaders.
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 06:09:36 pm »

Wow! That sounds incredibly involved, and a lot of fun at the same time. That would be great to play something similar to that.

I'll look forward to that day to play something similar to them. :) Hope it works out better next time around.

Did you run into any issues making the race? Or did you just lose interest for some random reason (or because the others guy disappeared or whatever)?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 08:10:24 pm »

The system still works if your willing to play df 34.11 rather than the current version. I could even dig around and find the old manual that we did up for MW.

I just lost motivation to continue after the other guys did. I do want to update it, but is soo much work.