Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Minefield Idea.  (Read 2192 times)

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minefield Idea.
« on: November 14, 2016, 02:34:15 pm »

I want a minefield. My idea is simple. Get a nice pool of lava going. Cover with floor but scatter holes. Above each pool a bit up there should be constructed floor with 1x1 stockpile of booze. Activate either by having these floors connected to supports or retractable bridge. Not only will the floors crush stuff but the booze should fall down and blow up.

Any immediate idea or improvements?

Xeno_Sandbox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Minefield Idea.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 03:04:07 pm »

Pretty sure booze does not explode, in fact I don't think anything explodes in game the closest things would be dragon fire and cave ins.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 03:20:49 pm »

Booze will boil, but boiling booze isn't fatal or even harmful. It is not possible to steam invaders to death (I have tried thoroughly) and there aren't really combustible gasses.

Magma mist *will* kill things and will spread for several tiles. It is produced very briefly by dropping heavy objects (minecarts, demon corpses, cave-ins) into magma.

Cave-in dust from a collapsing wall generally won't kill things, but can sometimes launch units into a dangerous location such as high enough in the air to be killed by fall damage.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 03:26:35 pm »

It seems magma mist can be created by dropping less heavy objects (such as bodies of invaders) into magma with impurities (such as salt, molten metal, etc). The impurities will disappear after a while, though, so you'd need to relace the magma if you wanted to weaponize that.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 05:28:13 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 07:08:05 pm »

I remember a thread where someone had done the magma landmine thing with instant, zero lever action.  You could manually trigger them yourself without waiting for a lever pull. I forget how they worked though. Can't tell from the video if this is using that idea.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 07:36:43 pm »

I have an idea for something you might be able to do to spray magma over building destroyers, like the trolls goblins love to bring with them.

Dig and fill a magma reservoir at various points just below ground scattered around the embark, or one huge one that reaches all desired areas. Construct little buildings above each one, containing a pump trying to pump magma out of the building's door from the reservoir, powered by a windmill on the roof. It's probably best to include a lever in the fortress proper that can remotely shut it all off for repairs and repriming.

When primed the moment the door is opened or destroyed the pump will start blasting magma out the doorway, immolating the building destroyer and any other living things nearby, which will hopefully be goblins.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 01:16:50 am »

I remember a thread where someone had done the magma landmine thing with instant, zero lever action.  You could manually trigger them yourself without waiting for a lever pull. I forget how they worked though. Can't tell from the video if this is using that idea.
Instant manual triggering is usually done by deconstruct exploit.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:25:17 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 01:22:16 am »

Very simple minefield is TheFlame52's embark-surrounding cage trap circle.

If you used appropriately-staggered floodgates, you could use that as possible werebeast trap (it takes a while to destroy one, so this would run down the timer - perhaps cage-trapping them if you also have the trap circle, not sure. )

Hm, for a mine-like option, you could have hatches with ramp-bouncing minecart below - when a creature takes a "shortcut", they'll get minecart to the face.

@Grim Portnet: You could include an auto-disable by having the pump be powered by magma-unsafe mechanism from the front of the pump.

Or a magma-sensitive pressure plate that latch-closes pump intake, I suppose

When a built and raised raising bridge is marked and unmarked for deconstruction, it will let take on a statue-like state, thus letting fluids through from NSWE and above until it is lowered and raised again.

So you'd use a setup like
_>____▒~%%
▒╬~~~~~▒▒~

Optionally, adding a pressure plate into tunnel or over downstairs above the bridge (by building floor over dug downstairs, then deconstructing) to reset the bridge and perhaps also to trigger when enemy steps on them.

Technically, can do this with ice too, but resetting is much more of a hassle with it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:33:00 am by Fleeting Frames »

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 03:28:43 am »

Pretty sure booze does not explode, in fact I don't think anything explodes in game the closest things would be dragon fire and cave ins.

Before I got this idea I pumped magma outside my volcano to ignite the surrounding trees and grass but it didn't ignite. I put a 1x1 booze stockpile in front of the advancing magma and it did look like an explosion and I had ignition. Sadly the trees didn't burn down.

So if the booze didn't explode how did it ignite the surrounding grass?

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 10:32:39 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=134754.0

You need "Magma Landmines Revisited: Remote Mines, Player-Operated Switches"
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 06:05:30 pm »

So if the booze didn't explode how did it ignite the surrounding grass?
Was the booze in a wooden barrel?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 07:17:03 pm »

Booze can overheat and turn to gas, at which point it is hot enough to ignite things like grass. It looks like it explodes because it expands the same way any other suddenly-gas material does in dwarf fortress.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 07:48:22 pm »

Booze can overheat and turn to gas, at which point it is hot enough to ignite things like grass. It looks like it explodes because it expands the same way any other suddenly-gas material does in dwarf fortress.
I don't think the clouds exist long enough to transfer heat, if they even inherit the heat to begin with.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 08:47:47 am »

I like magma mist in applications like these as it leaves weapons and armor intact, unlike full magma bath. With suitable timing it should be possible to have a pressure plate-operated hatch to drop heavy junk to a magma pool just when invaders are walking past it.

This kind of trap is also self loading if you zone the hatch cover as a garbage dump and remember to designate enough stuff to be dumped from time to time.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: [1] 2