Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 53

Author Topic: WIZARDS!: ZAP  (Read 80307 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS! Adventure and murder in the magical apocalypse
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2016, 12:30:29 pm »

syv skirts around the edge of the counter, half crouching to minimize his visibility.  He quickly places his metal file and box of razor blades on the counter, then sits very still while staring wide-eyed at the shopkeep.  Upon being noticed, he squeaks out "H-hey there, uh, Clove?  I, uhm, trade?  Money?  bullets?"

Trade?

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2016, 01:25:05 pm »

PTW also a waitlist character I rolled up.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2016, 02:19:39 am »

"No way to sneak around, no way to ambush.  Metal ground so no digging.  All this sky, no cellars, long way from home.  Hope they don't have wraithwings here."

"Hmm.."

Unwind the metal strings from the guitar, for tripwires.

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2016, 05:16:25 pm »

PTW also a waitlist character I rolled up.

Okie dokie, added to list on OP.

"Marcus understands. Marcus is willing to barter family heirloom. This hourglass has been passed down Marcus's family for generations! Great sentimental value, sand is made out of generations of cremated remains. Father can tell Marcus he is wasting time even from grave! Haha! Ah, joke made Marcus sad. Marcus desires greatly to join ancestors and wife when time has come, but practical needs outweigh tradition until Marcus gets paid. Marcus hopes this will do!"

Trade Hourglass as colatteral. Retrieve daughter and bring cart to the exit point.

The man takes your hourglass by the metal frame and looks at it skeptically, turning it over and watching the sand drain. He gives it a shake and stares closely at the grains within.

"No offense to you and your sainted ancestors,  I'm sure, but sentimental and silver do not equal. If you destroy my cart and dash for the hills, I am left with a glass knick-nack full of dead people I don't know.  Unless you have something worth some silver, or something I know you'll come back for, I can't bear the risk."

Gordon quickly examines his new shotgun, cooing softly.
"Simply beautiful. Thank you, trader sir."

Trade the bolt cutters and file for 8 shells. Carefully clean and examine the shotgun while Bill does his thing.

((Important GM note! the ammo counter on my firearm has total loaded ammo on the left, and total unloaded ammo on the right, like in an FPS. This looks different from the counter on syv's firearm, so could you tell me which standard we should use?))
(You're the one tracking it, so as long as you understand it and can tell me if I ask, then either is fine)
You nod and the shopkeep picks up the tools and replaces them with a box of shells that has two loose shells balanced atop it.  You take the shells and stash them away in your pockets before taking the Shotgun and Crowbar and stepping away from the counter. You head outside and sit on the edge of the walkway while you fuss with your gun. The shotgun is a newer thing; not some relic of the ancient pre-wizard days. It's entirely metal, from barrel to stock, just a single heavy chunk of iron or steel, unadorned with any sort of decoration. The entire thing is very spartan and simplistic, not a zip or pipe gun but with about the same aesthetics. The barrels are fairly short; not sawn off but nowhere near the length you'd expect to see on a gun used for hunting. Probably because the solid, thick metal construction would render such a long gun unwieldy.

Bill gives a nod in greeting to Gordon before speaking to the man behind the counter. "Howdy. I'merely Bill. Are you Clive? The mayor gave me this note for a weapon loan." He says, introducing himself with a friendly smile.

Give note, see what weapons I can choose from, or what weapon I get if I don't get to choose.

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)

The shop keeper takes the note from you without a word and squints at it through his spectacles. After a moment he folds it up and stuffs it into his shirt pocket.

"What are you looking for?" Clive asks, "Most of what we got is hunting goods or modified farm tools. Not a lot of demand for weapons round here."

syv skirts around the edge of the counter, half crouching to minimize his visibility.  He quickly places his metal file and box of razor blades on the counter, then sits very still while staring wide-eyed at the shopkeep.  Upon being noticed, he squeaks out "H-hey there, uh, Clove?  I, uhm, trade?  Money?  bullets?"

Trade?

"Clive." The shop keep says, looking from Bill to you. He stares at you for a moment before looking at what you put on the counter. He only glances at the file  before grabbing and inspecting the box of razors. The razors are held in a small cardboard box with a sliding cover; the box is just barely big enough to hold the razors and a good 20 of them are stacked atop one another inside it. He slips the cover off and carefully lifts a razor out. He holds it close to his face and seems to be gauging the edge by eye. After a few seconds he places it back in the box and replaces the cover.

"I'll give you 10 copper for the file, one silver and 20 copper for the razors."

"No way to sneak around, no way to ambush.  Metal ground so no digging.  All this sky, no cellars, long way from home.  Hope they don't have wraithwings here."

"Hmm.."

Unwind the metal strings from the guitar, for tripwires.

You sit down on the aluminum grass and pull the guitar off your back. You carefully loosen and remove the steel strings from your instrument, laying them out beside you as you go. As you work, you're struck by how damn quiet this place is, at least in terms of wildlife. The metal grass makes tinny little crinkling and clinking noises as the wind blows, but you haven't heard a single bird the entire time you've been here. Even the air is weird; it's too cool, too clean. There's no smell of anything outside the town tucked into the cathedral. The air here is like breathing sniffing an ice cube, cold and empty.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2016, 05:29:46 pm »

syv nods quickly, pushing the box and file towards Clive.  He pockets the money offered and backs away from the counter, returning to his position behind Bill.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2016, 06:17:24 pm »

"Ah, apologies. Marcus is not good at evaluation. Marcus will have to confer with his associates. Marcus will return, with collateral!"

Check to see if the mayor can help with this issue. Also, retrieve daughter. She should not be alone! How did this happen? If mayor cannot help, attempt to find the rest of the party in order of 'whomever I come across first'.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 06:35:06 pm by Dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2016, 12:36:14 am »

Wind up the music box and set it down beside me. On a scale from one to ten, how sinister is it?

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2016, 02:01:47 am »

"A bow might work, if the arrows were included. Or a hunting spear could work. Maybe one of those modified farm tools if you have any polearms or swords. You have anything like that?"

See what Clive has in stock.

Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2016, 02:33:35 am »

"Suppose it's time to get the others together.  Wizard bashing isn't going to happen without them."

Pluck the last string before unwinding it to see if there's something odd about the sound.  Then find the rest of the crew

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2016, 08:04:35 pm »

Wind up the music box and set it down beside me. On a scale from one to ten, how sinister is it?

The music box is a small wooden box, about 7 inches on each side and 3 tall, made of a very dark wood  with small bronze hinges and matching clasp. Inside, the mechanism is quite unique: it's not the sort of rotating drum with pens that pick at the teeth of a metal comb, but instead a metal disk with many tiny holes in it. The disk, a silver  things about 4 inches wide, sits on a sort of turn tables with a strange series of upward facing pins protruding from it. Normally the pins are kept pressed down by the surface of the disk, but when a hole lines up with them, they pop back up, and this motion strikes a tiny metal chime hidden below the mechanism. Strapped to the inside lid of the box is a small key that fits into a slot on the upper right side of the box, allowing you to wind a hidden spring up and set the mechanism into action.  It looks, from what you can see, like the disks in this box were designed to be removed and swapped out, like records in a record player.

You remove the key, set the box on the walkway next to you and wind it up. The disk begins to rotate, very slowly, and the box starts playing. It sounds like this

syv nods quickly, pushing the box and file towards Clive.  He pockets the money offered and backs away from the counter, returning to his position behind Bill.

Clive scoops up the goods and carefully counts out silver and copper coins to you, laying them on the counter in a pile. You slide the coins off the counter and into your bag before hurrying outside. You nearly trip over Bill, who is sitting just outside the shop, listening to a music box. He's sitting on the edge of the walkway, dangling his feet out over the yawning expanse of the cathedral several hundred feet below. The very sight of it gives you a shiver of vertigo.

"Ah, apologies. Marcus is not good at evaluation. Marcus will have to confer with his associates. Marcus will return, with collateral!"

Check to see if the mayor can help with this issue. Also, retrieve daughter. She should not be alone! How did this happen? If mayor cannot help, attempt to find the rest of the party in order of 'whomever I come across first'.

You walk back upstairs, a process that takes at least twice as long to get up the stairs as it took to get down them, not including four stops to catch your breath. The stairs aren't particularly steep but gods alive there are a lot of them and this cathedral is damned tall. By the time you reach the upper district you feel like your thigh meat is about to burst out of your skin and wriggle away. You walk back to the Mayor's office, taking note of Bill and Syv near a shop as you go.  Once there you grab your daughter by the hand and walk over to the mayor's desk, leaning on it as you speak with him.

"Marcus requires a cart and crawler, but Marcus lacks the funds for either. Resting place of Marcus' ancestors is not collateral, also. Very disappointing."

The mayor seems somewhat taken aback by your speech but answers after a moment.

"The stablemaster won't be too keen on lending you either, seeing as we've already lost several to the bandits and we've few left in reserve. If you and your lot have a plan that requires it, then I could order him to give you one, but I'd need to hear the idea before I'd put pen to paper."

"A bow might work, if the arrows were included. Or a hunting spear could work. Maybe one of those modified farm tools if you have any polearms or swords. You have anything like that?"

See what Clive has in stock.

"I've got a boar spear, if that fits your liking. And a war scythe.  Hatchet." He scratches his chin "Think we got a sabre too, from some ruin up north. Might of sold that one, don't remember."

"Suppose it's time to get the others together.  Wizard bashing isn't going to happen without them."

Pluck the last string before unwinding it to see if there's something odd about the sound.  Then find the rest of the crew

You pluck the last string. It twangs loudly in the silence and the reverberations and echos seem to last a long time. But the sound itself is normal, and the world doesn't implode around you or anything of that nature. You give it a few more tries, just to be sure, but nothing happens. You shrug and remove the last string before wrapping them all up in a bit of cloth and carefully putting them in your bag. You sling the guitar on your back and head towards the cathedral. It's near sunset now, and the metallic flora and soil is lit in a red-orange haze that makes it look as though the entire plain is on fire. 

You make it back upstairs quick enough, though not easily, and find both Bill and Syv listening to a music box outside what looks like a store of some kind. You wave and walk over to them.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2016, 08:21:10 pm »

You just referred to me as Bill several times. Gordon Freeman is offended.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2016, 08:27:42 pm »

"See, is simple. Bandits attack caravan, steal goods. Where do goods go? Bandit camp. Bandits do not trade, they take! So, goods must still be at bandit camp. Marcus thinks that, along with bandit head, Marcus and team can also recover significant ammounts of goods. Secondly, Marcus wants to take cart so feet are not sore. Armor is heavy. So many stairs! Marcus needs to catch up on leg day. Cart can also carry injured team members. Marcus thinks cart would be of great help, and Marcus can assure that he will not let it fall to ruin!"

Diplomancy! The greatest magic.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2016, 11:09:41 pm »

You just referred to me as Bill several times. Gordon Freeman is offended.

Sorry, Long day.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2016, 11:28:33 pm »

"I'll take that Sabre if you still have it, or the war scythe if not."

In order of preference, Sabre, War Scythe, Boar Spear, Hatchet.

Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2016, 07:00:09 am »

"Hiya.  Beethro Budkin, smitemaster, from Dugandy in the Eighth.  Cart could be okay, old well-used plan to hide soldiers in cart, but what's pulling it?"

"And howsabout a couple of us not be in the cart so we can hit whoever shoots the cart first?  Might be better as a decoy"

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 53