Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53

Author Topic: WIZARDS!: ZAP  (Read 77916 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS!: ZAP
« Reply #750 on: June 13, 2017, 07:44:19 pm »

"Then stop putting your children in danger. That group would rather smash stuff than talk, and you'll only lose more children if you keep sending them. Now, about the White, is it marble? And what kind of magic did you find here that let you increase your range so much? I can only suspect you found an old world artifact, unless you happen to be an old world wizard."

Bill attempts to speak to the statue child, but stays his safe distance away from the magnetic field with his summons nearby. Continue using summon senses to detect threats or anything interesting.

Spoiler: Ted (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarantula (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 13, 2017, 08:13:24 pm »

CHAAARGE!

Fleyshius will fire his pistol at a random child.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #752 on: June 17, 2017, 02:32:02 pm »

HAVE AT EM LAAAADS!

This means charge, yes.

Spoiler: Marcus (click to show/hide)
Continue moving, but perhaps at a slightly more sedate pace.

((I'm marking off another bullet used.))

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cart (click to show/hide)

((Should we assume from now on that guns don't work, or do they just not have that immunity now due to it being the primary method we've used during both confrontations?))

Sigh will continue following Fleyshius closely, frantically trying to watch everywhere that isn't ahead at once.

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)

CHAAARGE!

Fleyshius will fire his pistol at a random child.

Fleyshius, apparently slightly confused, shoots his pistol into the body of an already dead child creature.  He then says  "WHAT HO!" and when asked what he's doing, even he can't explain it.

The group moves on, slower now, pushing in through the white until, after many hours, near sundown, they see something out there in the distance. It looks like a ring of ruins, a henge of stones but made of the wreckage of the old world. Fallen towers, some flat, some at an angle against others, a fairly ring of 10 story office buildings. They are totally white and the white ground around them is bunched up, as though it was a thick liquid that flowed around the building pillars and then froze, leaving a ridge where it hit and its flow was split. Over the henge the sky resembles spilt oil, black with shimmering streaks of rainbow that flow and undulate. Heavy red lightning crackes across the underside of this dome of shadow, leaping for earth but then curving back and crashing, shattering outward. A visible, just barely, flow of something is eminating from the center of this henge, rising up like a funnel cloud of heat shimmer. There are people here, or statues. They are ashy things, half formed, like the bodies of pompei standing, freed from their basalt tombs.

"Then stop putting your children in danger. That group would rather smash stuff than talk, and you'll only lose more children if you keep sending them. Now, about the White, is it marble? And what kind of magic did you find here that let you increase your range so much? I can only suspect you found an old world artifact, unless you happen to be an old world wizard."

Bill attempts to speak to the statue child, but stays his safe distance away from the magnetic field with his summons nearby. Continue using summon senses to detect threats or anything interesting.

"The white is mine." the child says, seeming to hear and accept the earlier statement, "I made it when I found the pool, here. I was hurt. I wanted to live. The pool helped me. And it helped me  save those other children too. They are safe here; even if your friends kill them I can bring them back. It takes a while though..." Its difficult to say with the voice, but it seems sad.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 17, 2017, 04:35:10 pm »

"Right! COmrades, our target is ahead! Marcus will be vanguard! FOR HONOR! FOR JUSTICE! AND FOR PEACE TO THE DEAD!"

"Right behind you!"

"What? No, you stay at distance."

"Metaphorically, dad."

"Oh, yes."

Marcus heads the group, shield and axe at the ready.

Alanna stays at the rear, and prepares to fire upon any sign of incoming movement. Also she looks to any convienient sniper spots.

Both move towards the mystery lightning dome.

I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 18, 2017, 07:09:09 am »

"Hang on a sec, there's one more thing I want to do before rushing in there."

Use the candles to deafen myself, by filling my ears with wax.  Then proceed towards the henge, but don't enter it yet.  Stop at about throwing distance away.

"With all that lightning around, I don't want to get hurt by a near miss."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 21, 2017, 07:44:39 am »

Trail along behind the group, continually emitting a low whimper, and occasionally glancing wistfully back at the empty wasteland.  Don't get close to any of the statues, or if it is unavoidable without losing the team, smash them with a prybar.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 21, 2017, 12:25:38 pm »

"You said other children, you were a child as well before you found the pool? Do you want to spread the White so that you can bring other people back if they die? So you can protect them? And what if they refuse the white? Will you force it on them?"

Bill continues to talk with the wizard, but stays his safe distance away from the magnetic field with his summons nearby. Continue using summon senses to detect threats or anything interesting.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #757 on: June 25, 2017, 12:21:38 pm »

We're missing a midnight

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 25, 2017, 05:54:21 pm »

fleyshius will wander with the group keeping his tire iron at the ready if he sees any of the children that  that seem to be already dead he'll smash them, if they look life like hell just stand there and mourn.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #759 on: June 29, 2017, 09:11:11 pm »

"Right! COmrades, our target is ahead! Marcus will be vanguard! FOR HONOR! FOR JUSTICE! AND FOR PEACE TO THE DEAD!"

"Right behind you!"

"What? No, you stay at distance."

"Metaphorically, dad."

"Oh, yes."

Marcus heads the group, shield and axe at the ready.

Alanna stays at the rear, and prepares to fire upon any sign of incoming movement. Also she looks to any convienient sniper spots.

Both move towards the mystery lightning dome.

"Hang on a sec, there's one more thing I want to do before rushing in there."

Use the candles to deafen myself, by filling my ears with wax.  Then proceed towards the henge, but don't enter it yet.  Stop at about throwing distance away.

"With all that lightning around, I don't want to get hurt by a near miss."
Trail along behind the group, continually emitting a low whimper, and occasionally glancing wistfully back at the empty wasteland.  Don't get close to any of the statues, or if it is unavoidable without losing the team, smash them with a prybar.

fleyshius will wander with the group keeping his tire iron at the ready if he sees any of the children that  that seem to be already dead he'll smash them, if they look life like hell just stand there and mourn.
Beethro holds the group up only just long enough to deafen himself with some candle wax. Thus impaired he gives them the thumbs up to continue forward. They ask him what he thinks he's doing, only for predictable shouting of "WHAT?!" to be the only answer. They press in towards the henge, the air becoming thick and charged, choked with ozone and uncomfortably humid. Their clothing and skin quickly become covered in a thin layer of oily build up, like they've been spritzed with wd40. As they push their way through increasing winds, they finally penetrate the henge and find themselves standing within the eye of a storm. Here, the world is quiet and calm. The sky is blue, only the edges tinged with the constant swirl of the storm outside, and the air fresh. The ground is almost blindlingly pristine and clean, a kind of white that seems impossible. There are no shadows here; everything is lit seemingly from all directions. So bright and clean is it that making out any forms here is almost impossible; the shape of the ground  is only visible when you crouch low to the ground and view it against the storm walls. There are bodies here too. The ground is completely covered in them; like rough hewn ground or chaotic stone. Everyone struggles to cross it without tripping. At the center of this place is a pool of black. No. Not black. A pool of absence, of utter utter nothing. It is as black as the white is white, and only via careful observation while moving, craning their necks at various angles, can the group tell that this blackness is fluid in nature. At the center of the pool, are two things. There is a tree, made of the same white as everything else. It looks like a marble statue, but it rustles and shivers slightly in a non-existant breeze. The other thing, leaning, slumped against the tree, is a young woman. Her age is hard to tell, she could be anything from 13-17, her features thin and slight. Her skin is almost the color of the white around her, only just a half a shade off, and her hair the color of the pool, also only a touch away from utter darkness. She is laying there, back against the tree, lower body submerged, like an exhausted swimmer having just pulled herself back onto land. 

The girl tilts her head up, tiredly, but her eyes remain closed.

"Why wouldn't you just leave?" she asks.

"You said other children, you were a child as well before you found the pool? Do you want to spread the White so that you can bring other people back if they die? So you can protect them? And what if they refuse the white? Will you force it on them?"

Bill continues to talk with the wizard, but stays his safe distance away from the magnetic field with his summons nearby. Continue using summon senses to detect threats or anything interesting.

"I..." The child goes suddenly silent and tilts its head up and to the side, as though listening to something far away. It then vanishes into thin air.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 29, 2017, 09:48:47 pm »

((I'm really hoping someone realizes that just getting her to stop sending statue kids to freak people out would constitute completion of our mission, without killing her. I and Bill, and presumably Ted in its own Snakescorpion way, feel bad for her. She just wanted friends and safety.))

((Edit: Also just realized PW made the eye of the storm into an actual eye design. Or at least it seems like it to me.))
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:50:40 pm by Beirus »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Shining
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 30, 2017, 01:24:07 am »

"Why wouldn't you just leave?" she asks.

(("Cause then we wouldn't get paid."))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 30, 2017, 04:46:41 pm »

((Nah, she stole kids to be friends with her, killed them, and made simulacrums of them to stay in an unchanging lifeless abyss, and has lost the ability to tell the living from the dead.  Such a promise might stick for a bit, but that wasn't the first child, or the second, or the third, and I see no reason for it to stop now.  She did try to talk us out of it rather than immediately attack, assuming the lightning storm wasn't hers, but talking with her was navigating a conversational minefield where a single wrong word or wrong phrase lead to an agressive response.))

((It doesn't mean Beethro wouldn't feel bad about this, but he has actually been in a very similar situation before, and did the same.. albeit with a sword and not a gun.))

Upon seeing the child, Beethro grunts, and regrets deafening himself as it means he can't hear her final words.

Shoot her until the gun is empty.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #763 on: June 30, 2017, 07:48:22 pm »

((Nah, she stole kids to be friends with her, killed them, and made simulacrums of them to stay in an unchanging lifeless abyss, and has lost the ability to tell the living from the dead.  Such a promise might stick for a bit, but that wasn't the first child, or the second, or the third, and I see no reason for it to stop now.  She did try to talk us out of it rather than immediately attack, assuming the lightning storm wasn't hers, but talking with her was navigating a conversational minefield where a single wrong word or wrong phrase lead to an agressive response.))

((It doesn't mean Beethro wouldn't feel bad about this, but he has actually been in a very similar situation before, and did the same.. albeit with a sword and not a gun.))

Upon seeing the child, Beethro grunts, and regrets deafening himself as it means he can't hear her final words.

Shoot her until the gun is empty.

Hmm, an interesting interpretation of the order of events involved with her.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 30, 2017, 08:45:59 pm »

((I'm quite certain she's been victimized and there's a lot of things that need to be set right.  Personally I'm suspecting the people at the cathedral were abandoning their wizard-children and she was keeping them 'alive' by returning simulacrums of them to the town, out of grief experienced from her own abandonment, and the difficulty in discussion is caused by an understandable lack of socialization.  However, Beethro doesn't know that and nobody told him anything like that.  If Beethro gets back there there will be more things to sort out to actually solve the problem, but here and now there's someone that Beethro doesn't have a solution for, who seems to be in the centre of a hundred-kilometer wide area of badness, as well as a pool.  No idea if it's the pool or the kid, though I'm leaning towards 'both'.))

((It might also be different if Beethro hadn't done something somewhat similar in one of his titles, where he chased a feral child sending vermin monsters after him, who pleaded innocece before attempting to kill him when he had his back turned.  In that one if you don't take the proverbial shot, you cannot survive.))

((Same if he didn't find the bodies, and could think that the kids might be alive somewhere.  That would be something to negotiate for or talk about, but now that he knows the children are dead, means that he considers himself more than justified.))

((At the end of the day it's a fanciful situation where there's hundreds of possibilities as to what's happening with no clear and obvious winner, and the hypothesis of 'she's been luring kids out of town, and making simulacrums after they die in the wastes' is far from impossible, and consistant with what Beethro's been told... and the smitemaster is a simple guy who solves problems with his weapons.))
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:57:19 am by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53