Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 53

Author Topic: WIZARDS!: ZAP  (Read 80050 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS!: One wizard down.
« Reply #390 on: January 27, 2017, 08:53:31 pm »

((Would training one of my stats for the week do anything?))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #391 on: January 27, 2017, 09:10:29 pm »

((Would training one of my stats for the week do anything?))
NOPE! Kill more wizards.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 28, 2017, 05:16:41 am »

While the others are resting for the week, see about finding some work to earn some coins. Have my summons assist me if they can. Also take a short rest at some point to recover my HP. Make sure to eat and sleep properly.

Spoiler: Snakescorpion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarantula (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #393 on: January 28, 2017, 08:15:31 pm »

While the others are resting for the week, see about finding some work to earn some coins. Have my summons assist me if they can. Also take a short rest at some point to recover my HP. Make sure to eat and sleep properly.

[Die of fate:6]
Bill, uninjured, spends most of his week doing whatever work he can manage to get. His skills as a mercenary and budding wizard are great but there is little need for murder or magic among the common folk. Instead, he finds work with the metal farmers, cutting iron bark and spear wheat, harvesting foil grass and packing it into crates. It's hard work and it leaves him tired after every day; he returns home at nightfall and almost immediately heads to his room to sleep. He even spends the night of the victory feast hidden away in the house, sleeping off a day's worth of metal work. His slaving devotion to working does come with one benefit; a bigger paycheck. Normally a working man gets about a silver a day, but Bill manages to scrounge up 10 silver by the end of the week. Hard earned, but much appreciated.

But as he works, he notices something very odd. On the second day he sees rats in the woods. This is quite odd; there are a few pests in town where food can be had but he, and none of the others, had ever seen them out here in the woods. And it wasn't a single lost rodent, it was dozens. They skittered about, trying to remain out of sight on the clean metal ground, hiding behind trees. But he felt them watching him constantly. On the third day the rats are still there, but in greater numbers, joined by crows and flies. They all seemed to simply be milling about with nothing to do, nowhere to go and nothing to eat. Their numbers simply kept increasing as the days past, with vultures and wild dogs appearing on the sixth day. By the last day the crows and dogs are starting to eat the rats, clouds of flies coat the bodies and the vultures circle the steeple of the cathedral day and night. A pack of wild dogs stares with glowing reflective eyes from the edge of the woods as Bill walks back home. The men he works with speak in hushed tones as he walks by and the corpses lie unchanging on the sterile metal ground.

I see!

Well then.

Alanna practices her marksmanship, preferably in such a manner that doesn't deplete our ammo, and Marcus recoveres from his injuries fully. If another action doesn't impede that, he works out because Marcus does not skip leg day.

Spoiler: Marcus (click to show/hide)

Alanna does her best during the time off to practice her shooting, but it's a struggle to truly enhance your skill when you're not allowed to actually shoot the gun. So she spends her time fussing with the sights and trying to approximate the drop of a bullet without firing one, rifle balanced on a box or a chair back and pointed at some distant target across the open air walkways of the upper district. When not looking like she's preparing for a siege, she spends her days reading through the cookbook or wandering around town. Beethro slips her some coppers now and again she uses them to buy food and cook for the group along with him. The recipes are hit and miss, often full of substitutions for foods that have long since vanished from the world, but fun none the less.

Marcus spends most of his time either resting his injury or obsessively doing squats on the porch, making unsettling eye contact and faces at everyone who passes by. He does find time in his busy schedule to hammer some boards over the busted out window and give Alanna advice about how to improve her shooting. Mostly this advice includes lines such as "You must learn to think like the bullet!" and "After killing a man it is of vital importance to have a good one-liner prepared. Trust me, I have done a lot of research on this and people with good one-liners survive far longer."

I'm gonna stay outside the cathedral for the whole week, making a small hide to sleep and stay within.  Then, I'll spend the first couple days quietly harvesting spearwheat, and hiding it just inside the tunnel if farmers might come out this way, and after a fair amount is harvested, I'll dig a pit in front of the secret tunnel and fill it with spearwheat spikes.  Safety is danger for other people.

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)

Sy plans out a complex and dangerous series of actions. Dangerous to other people, that is. But his plans quickly fall through when a rather important fact rears its ugly, practical head: Living outside in a sterile unnatural environment is really hard. The first day there was no food or water. The second day it rained really hard at night, which was nice since it meant water but it also meant he almost got struck by lightning several times before he took cover in the secret passage. He was at least dry and safe in there, but it was still cold and he was still hungry. He missed the soup the guy made him and the security and protection of having several disposable meatshields drawing attention away from him. He attempted to dig a spike trap only to remember that the ground was solid metal and that his fingers were very squishy. He attempted to gather spearwheat until he realized he couldn't get through the metal stalks.

In the end, after much hardship and worry, he waited till nightfall and scampered off to the upper district where he had seen his familiar dangermagnets go during the day. He settled in the attic of their house and snuck out during the night to steal leftovers and provisions. For some reason there always seems to be some extra food left over and sitting out.

Gordon convinces the shopkeeper to pay 20 silver for two sets of second hand flimsy armor. 62 silver.
Buy a really OP revolver. (d10. Comes with 6 bullets. Costs 50 Silver) 12 Silver.
Buy a First-Aid Kit for 10 silver. 2 Silver
Buy one box of ammo for each of my guns. 0 Silver.

Spoiler: Gordon Freeman (click to show/hide)

Commence long rest.
Eat the best food I can find and lounge about.

Gordon spends basically the entire week doing jack shit. He doesn't have enough money to do anything, nor does he really have the desire to explore this town. The only thing he really does the entire time is eat. And seeing as he has only a handful of coppers jangling around in his pockets, that means waiting for Alanna to cook. At least on every day other than that feast they threw the group. Ah, that was lovely. He carved a toothpick out of a bone from that night and sat on the porch, enjoying the sensation of being extremely full. It was that night that the strange man who had been following them, who had been absent for several days, had moved in upstairs. Gordon was pretty sure that the skittish fella didn't think anyone noticed him, even though everyone very clearly did. So he talked the rest of the occupants of the house into acting like the man wasn't there and left some food out for him every night.

It was like having an absurdly skittish pet.

Have that party.  Oh, and see if anyone knows anything about that 'compass'.  Drink the vision fluid sometime in the next week.  Re-string guitar and try some playing.
Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)
[15]
Beethro spends the first day and part of the second sitting in a chair in the living room, high off his ass on vision fluid. He drank the whole vial of it, the mad bastard. And on the night of the first day he could be heard downstairs, talking to himself. After coming back to reality he spends the evening of the second day cooking with Alanna and double checking to make sure every solid surface and object is actually really there and not an elaborate hallucination. Once the first shipment of goods comes in from out of town the mayor hosts a lavish feast, by farming town standards, in the heart of the lower district. All manner of food and drink was prepared and set out on silver plates along long metal tables. Bill skipped it and that weird guy was nowhere to be found but Alanna, Gordon, Marcus and Beethro all attended and much joy was had. Gordon ate a bit of almost everything, which with a meal of this size was a frankly staggering achievement. When last Beethro saw him that night he was laying out on the porch like a beached whale with a bit of bone still stuck in his teeth. Alanna was the subject of a great deal of attention from the girls and boys that were about her age; killing a wizard (or at least being part of the group that did) was enough to make you a local celebrity. Marcus spent much of the party alternating between giving about 15 different accounts of the battle, each one different from the last, and making threatening gestures at the boys who talked to Alanna.

And Beethro, well, he got extremely drunk. He remembers very little of that evening after a certain part of the night; namely when Marcus introduced him to the keg of Thunderbee Honey mead. From that point on things were more or less a blur. He remembers, vaguely, paying some silver to the innkeeper to cover the damages from leaving a corpse in that room. And then paying him some more for a barrel of mead. By the time he finally recovers his senses he finds his wallet 10 silver lighter, but also that he is in possession of a barrel of High quality Thunderbee Mead. A fair trade, he reasons.

Its on the evening of the seventh day, just as Bill returns from work, that someone knocks on the front door. Beethro answers it and finds the mayor, who seems to be somewhat puzzled by the boarded up window. He pulls his attention away as soon as the door opens though.

"Oh, hello." the mayor says, glancing back at the window one last time, "I've got something for you boys. Delivered by one of those traders that came recently."

He hands Beethro a heavy vellum envelope that has been sealed shut with heavy blue wax. On the wax seal is the insignia of the Guild, A pointy hat with two swords pierced through it. 

"Trader said he got it from a messenger with orders to deliver it to you."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 28, 2017, 09:25:42 pm »

"Oh man, that was worse than the time with the clone potions, the mimic potions, and that girl from Mellenfral.  That vision fluid is serious stuff."

"Well, nothing but for it."

Thank the mayor, take the message and read it.  Did anyone know anything about the compass?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:34:20 pm by Devastator »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #395 on: January 28, 2017, 10:08:50 pm »

"Oh man, that was worse than the time with the clone potions, the mimic potions, and that girl from Mellenfral.  That vision fluid is serious stuff."

"Well, nothing but for it."

Thank the mayor, take the message and read it.  Did anyone know anything about the compass?

Your brain fail, that 15, means you forgot to ask about it. Or maybe you did and forgot. Hard to say. Good booze.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 28, 2017, 10:18:12 pm »

"Aha! Marcus recognizes this."

"You do? What does it-"

"It is call to adventure! Marcus was waiting for this! Quickly, grab your armor, the world awaits!"

"What the hell do you- and there he goes. What's in the envelope?"

Spoiler: Marcus (click to show/hide)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 28, 2017, 10:45:33 pm »

"A new job? Wonderful. I propose that we pay Allana extra this time, for good cooking."

Spoiler: Gordon Freeman (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2017, 02:46:00 pm »

Beethro thanks the mayor and closes the door. He walks to the main table in the living room and everyone clusters around. Within the envelope is a single letter and three tightly folded and ribbon bound packages of paper.  Beethro reads the contents of the letter aloud.

"To the surviving members of Guild Team 84,

We have received word of your success against the magical forces plaguing Tallberg. We congratulate you for your prompt and effective service. You do the guild proud.

Once you have recuperated, there is further work that needs to be done. The following are requests for guild assistance in your area. As usual, if you decide to take any of these requests, break the disk included with it to signal us."

The letter ends there so Beethro sets it aside and grabs the first of the three packages. Inside is another note and a small, crudely drawn map, as well as a disk of blue wax. The note reads:
"To the north is a series of flooded canyons. From these canyons emerge dangerous magical creatures which have been known to harass, kidnap and murder in surrounding settlements. The request is to find the source of these creatures and destroy it. Be forewarned; the requestor suggested that anyone who went on this request should bring antidotes to venom."

The second package contains a note, a green wax disk, and a triangular shaped black stone. The note reads:
"To the east is a marsh which used to serve as a path to a temple beyond it. Recently pilgrims have gone missing in great numbers along this path; far beyond what could be written off as standard accidental losses. We have received several requests to clear this path; the priests of the temple beyond the marsh have promised a reward to those who can do so. Included is what they call a "Lodestone", a symbol of their belief. They requested that it be given to the group attempting to fulfill this request."

The last package is a note, a red disk and several drawn images of children. The note reads:
"Children who are supposed to be dead have been reappearing. No one can say exactly where they come from but information compiled from different sources have lead us to believe it is from somewhere in the marble wastes to the south of your current location. We have had several requests from different requestors, so this service comes with a larger than usual paycheck. Be aware; the marble wastes are quite large and inhospitable to living things. Plan accordingly."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 30, 2017, 03:52:57 am »

"Survivors.  Greb, you'd think that after all these years they would just assume that I'm going to make it."

Beethro thinks for a minute.

Those flooded canyons sound a bit like a nastier version of the canyons on the river Dugan down to Blorn.  There they are pretty easy and often handled by trainees and rookie guildmembers.  These people seem pretty good, and although they could use some more seasoning, we could probably handle it.

Marsh temples have never been my favorite kind of place, since that trip through the breeding vats of the Empire.  I'd probably rather avoid there, but it's the only area where we are likely to encounter friendlies, which could serve as a place of retreat.  Also, clearing a trade path is similar to what we just did on the last job.

Spooky reappearances on the marble wastes does sound quite challenging.  It also reeks of a malign intelligence, that is, someone or something with a plan.  We could avoid it until we've got some more resources, but it also seems like the problem that is most likely to get worse with time.

"Okay, looks like time for a vote as to which of these jobs to do."

Hand the note around and let the others read it.  Beethro votes for the red mission.

Whichever we choose, we might need some last-minute supplies as well.  Also, I think there was some dissatisfaction with the pay after the last mission.  We should get that sorted out before we head out this time.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:55:51 am by Devastator »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 30, 2017, 03:03:35 pm »

Bill votes for the green mission.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 30, 2017, 03:03:58 pm »

"Inhospitible wastes sounds good, sure. It's the only one that doesn't seem like I'll be fucking around in waist high swamp water."

"It builds character!"

"Swamps smell like ass! You should know that, being an old fart!"

"Marcus resembles that remark!"
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #402 on: January 31, 2017, 08:46:19 am »

No votes from Egan?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 31, 2017, 12:27:05 pm »

Nah.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #404 on: January 31, 2017, 03:39:38 pm »

Well if you've all decided then break that disk and do whatever you need to before you head out. Each one of you has to eat 1 meal a day so keep that in mind. It's a days walk out of the land of metal and between 8-10 days through the marsh and to the area with the shrine, even more to get to the shrine itself. The canyons to the north are much closer, and the marble wastes, well they're right next to this place but they're an 11 day walk to cross, let alone how long it would take to search them.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 53