Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Should California become its own nation?  (Read 14431 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Should California become its own nation?
« on: November 09, 2016, 09:05:05 pm »

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/calexit-californians-exit-trump-win-article-1.2866382

I would totally vote (being in California I'd be able to) for the state to become its own nation! With what is going on, it could only benefit California to be its own nation. On top of that, Hillary Clinton could lead the country or at least run for president against another candidate california chooses. She would have another shot of running for president of california.

California already has more wealth than most countries do, so it could do well as its own nation

What do you guys think? Would you vote for it if you are in california? I know I would.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Should California become its own nation?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 09:07:47 pm »

While California is well equipped to become an independent nation, the question is moot, as the moment they declared independence the U.S. military would descend upon them with the wrath of an enraged god.  The Civil War taught us one lesson above all others, no one leaves the Union.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 09:08:24 pm »

please don't screw the rest of America. your 55 electoral votes.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 09:09:23 pm »

While California is well equipped to become an independent nation, the question is moot, as the moment they declared independence the U.S. military would descend upon them with the wrath of an enraged god.  The Civil War taught us one lesson above all others, no one leaves the Union.

Don't states have the right to break away from the nation? I know California tried before, and Texas has tried to. Why would they try if they wouldn't be able to?
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 09:12:01 pm »

I might, yes, if the pros outweighed the cons.

I have definetly thought about it, hell I googled it this morning and you may have seen me shouting VIVA LA CALIFORNIA!!! this morning in the politics thread.

The problem is that we have to face the reality of how we'll manage our resources, we don't even control the source of water that comes out of the Colorado river, we have to share it with several other states, how will we manage that? Then there's the supply lines for, well, everything, and everything else that comes of being your own soverign nation.

As much as I hate to have the US break up, I'd be for it, but we'd better have a plan for how to simply survive first, or to use a metaphor, don't cut ourselves loose without a method of propulsion.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 09:12:51 pm »

No, states cannot leave the union, and have not ever had the ability to do so.  California was only a republic of its own for a short period while waiting for statehood, and Texas' 'Lone Star Republic' barely even existed, as the first act it performed was begging the union for admission so Santa Anna wouldn't grind them into dust.  and while the question of their succession was raised recently it was purely academic, as attempting to enact it would have gotten them invaded by the US and crushed.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 09:13:13 pm »

Don't states have the right to break away from the nation? I know California tried before, and Texas has tried to. Why would they try if they wouldn't be able to?

Actually, they left Mexico, then tried to be their own nation for a bit, then failed at it and begged to be in the Union.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 09:13:40 pm »

Hell no. When Texas tried it during Obama years, the reaction I observed was "lol military will crush these rural Republican fucks". States don't have the right to break away - not since the Civil War, at least. It'd require a 2/3rd voting majority in all USA states for something like that to happen, IIRC.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 09:15:43 pm »

Hell no. When Texas tried it during Obama years, the reaction I observed was "lol military will crush these rural Republican fucks". States don't have the right to break away - not since the Civil War, at least. It'd require a 2/3rd voting majority in all USA states for something like that to happen, IIRC.

I think there was some muttering about it, but I don't recall it ever coming to a vote in Texas.

Of course though, there's the problem of everything that connects California to everything outside California, like my example with the Colorado River.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 09:16:40 pm »

Texas has tried to.

Texan here. The only time Texas actually tried to leave the Union was during the Civil War. And you know how that went for the South. There's been talk about it in this century, but its never even come to a vote.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 09:18:36 pm »

Texas has tried to.

Texan here. The only time Texas actually tried to leave the Union was during the Civil War. And you know how that went for the South. There's been talk about it in this century, but its never even come to a vote.

ah, yeah I read they got like 25,000 votes for it or something.

California breaking off could happen a lot easier though, because its a better better economy than Texas and all the rest of the US. But like pointed out, there'd need to be things addressed. Like water, and all the connected routes into/out of california for various things. And trade of course would be a big issue.

But this vote isn't till 2018 I believe, so it could be given time to figure that stuff out

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 09:21:01 pm »

And, y'know, allies/an army sufficient to defend against the US.

What allies?  What army?  The US has one of the largest most powerful militaries on Earth, how precisely do you think a newly organized force and some very unlikely 'allies' are going to fare against that?

Edit: still valid, but I misread Ispil's point.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 09:21:43 pm »

Two years is also plenty of time for cooler and more rational heads to prevail, but then it's also plenty of time for Trump and the Republicans to do things that alienate the liberals even more.

Or hell, it might be useable as a threat to get things to change.

We-lllll, ispil does have a point, we'd be utterly without a navy and army from the start unless California based military defect to us or something, but that isn't going to happen.

Besides, seems more useful for leverage and to say 'we are HELLISHLY NOT HAPPY!'
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 09:25:27 pm by smjjames »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 09:26:14 pm »

Look, ven, here's the thing:  Immediately after California declared itself independent the U.S. would invade and wreck the place.  If by some miracle the U.S. was beaten off hard enough that they didn't immediately redouble their efforts, the next thing Cali has to worry about is an immediate invasion by Mexico.  Assuming they weather that intact the U.S. will be right back so as to forestall any attempt by China to exploit the situation.  All of this is academic tho' as there is NO way that Cali can fight off the U.S. military.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 09:27:41 pm »

Two years is also plenty of time for cooler and more rational heads to prevail, but then it's also plenty of time for Trump and the Republicans to do things that alienate the liberals even more.

Or hell, it might be useable as a threat to get things to change.

We-lllll, ispil does have a point, we'd be utterly without a navy and army from the start unless California based military defect to us or something, but that isn't going to happen.

Besides, seems more useful for leverage and to say 'we are HELLISHLY NOT HAPPY!'

I dunno, maybe if they offered, the guys stuck at the national training center would turn traitor to get out of the desert faster 
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17