Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Should California become its own nation?  (Read 14461 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Should California become its own nation?
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2016, 12:50:37 am »

Also, overreaction. Life goes on, and will, for the vast majority of Americans, remain rather unchanged.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

chesse20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2016, 02:28:04 am »

why u want hilary clinton as presidnet of california? did u even read wiki leaks

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2016, 02:39:02 am »

Make a deal with Trump, draw a line from around Mount Vernon, Washington down through Idaho, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Louisiana to the coast. The USA keeps the northeast side and a couple of pacific ports (Alaska+WA ones), while the southwest becomes a new country called Wallandia?

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2016, 02:46:31 am »

For US, great lakes.

Has derelict but rebootable heavy infrastructure, farmland, and fresh water.

How would other areas rank?

In terms of self sufficiency? Most of the farming midwest would be fine as far as food goes, but.... farming is pretty much all they've got. States can afford to specialize their economies with no risk, nations can't with absolutely no risk.

Unless you're a city-state like Singapore maybe. edoot: wrong city.

Alaska could actually go it's own just fine much of it's food is gained from fishing, and has oil and other resources to trade with, except that it'd be immediately at risk of being annexed by Russia.

Honestly, northern midwest, besides it's manufacturing base, actually has a lot of coal, uranium, and iron ore, Assuming it gets Iowa and Nebraska, that sits there because a lot of it is under farmland which is seen as more valuable being used as farmland than tearing shit up to mine, when more accessible deposits are in the mountain states, and cleaner coal deposits are found south and east.  Iowa has a lot of radon issues due to uranium decay, so.. yeah.  Plus there's feldspar, gypsum, plenty of minerals that are mined in Iowa and Nebraska that people forget are central to an economy.

Also, everyone gets their cheese from us in Wisconsin.  Tell me this; what would you do without our cheese, eh?  We'll toss in an export tax and make it rich off the golden goodness.  BLESSED BE THE CHEESEMAKERS!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 02:49:43 am by Evaris »
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2016, 02:47:47 am »

Iowa also has access to what might be the largest aquifer on Earth.  Some important processing centers for metals etc. as well.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2016, 02:55:25 am »

Iowa also has access to what might be the largest aquifer on Earth.  Some important processing centers for metals etc. as well.

Iowa: The state that would have ruled North America had the cold war gone hot, as Russia never aimed a single nuke at the state.  Because no one cares about Iowa, for some reason. 
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2016, 03:04:48 am »

Actually, several weapons were slated for Rock Island Arsenal (which is technically Illinois, but it is less than one mile from Davenport and Bettendorf on the great bend) and several more were aimed at that area of the state when the Alcoa aluminum plant got upgraded recently, also just west of Davenport is a nuclear weapons fabrication facility.

Most of the state is corn though.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2016, 03:29:37 am »

Actually, several weapons were slated for Rock Island Arsenal (which is technically Illinois, but it is less than one mile from Davenport and Bettendorf on the great bend) and several more were aimed at that area of the state when the Alcoa aluminum plant got upgraded recently, also just west of Davenport is a nuclear weapons fabrication facility.

Most of the state is corn though.

Didn't count RIA for that reason,  (sure, Davenport was fucked, but I grew up in Clinton, so what would I care if I had to grow up in post-apocalyptia?) but Alcoa wasn't targeted during the 80's to my knowledge. 

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2016, 03:40:51 am »

States don't have the right to break away - not since the Civil War, at least. It'd require a 2/3rd voting majority in all USA states for something like that to happen, IIRC.
I doubt most people would vote to lose Hollywood. :P

...Anyone read the DMZ comics at all? Apparently the secessionists in that universe started off in Montana, but it would still be rather entertaining to see shit like that happening for real. In my, safely across the ocean, opinion, anyway.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2016, 04:26:23 am »

I don't get that financial argument, California is one of those states that's a net contributor to the Federal budget.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2016, 05:25:18 am »

I don't get that financial argument, California is one of those states that's a net contributor to the Federal budget.
IIRC, California had a debt of over $400 billion at the start of 2016.

Granted, compared to other states, that may not be much. I'm not privy to the exact numbers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2016, 08:36:17 am »

Reminds me of the idiots who wanted London to secede

Quit being salty and accept setbacks like the rest of the god damn world, life chucks a pebble at you and you quit like that? Weakness abounds, wait until Pompeii throws a sky full of pebbles before considering mutually assured obliteration. Anyways this is a really cool idea but it doesn't seem likely, California is a population of disarmed civilians that would stand no chance against what is easily the largest military war machine on the planet

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2016, 08:45:45 am »

Reminds me of the idiots who wanted London to secede

Quit being salty and accept setbacks like the rest of the god damn world, life chucks a pebble at you and you quit like that? Weakness abounds, wait until Pompeii throws a sky full of pebbles before considering mutually assured obliteration. Anyways this is a really cool idea but it doesn't seem likely, California is a population of disarmed civilians that would stand no chance against what is easily the largest military war machine on the planet

Well if people always thought that way then America would still be part of Britain.

It is a shame when this happens, but it is their prerogative. I don't want Quebec to leave Canada, for example, because I feel like they contribute so much to our culture and our identity. Yet by all means THEY get to decide.

If California believes that the USA doesn't represent their interests, that is a perfectly legit complaint.

---

Same time however a LOT of the time this comes down to Scapegoating. Blaming the government for your problems when really they wouldn't be fixed if you left.

But then argue THAT... don't argue "Suck it up you big baby!"
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:48:38 am by Neonivek »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2016, 08:51:48 am »

There's a big huge fuckoff outright titanic differences between 'murica independence and california pretending it can become its own thing inside the heart of the goddamn US of A.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2016, 11:18:00 am »

Well if people always thought that way then America would still be part of Britain.
I see nothing wrong with this statement

But then argue THAT... don't argue "Suck it up you big baby!"
Suck it up, they are being represented in government

There's a big huge fuckoff outright titanic differences between 'murica independence and california pretending it can become its own thing inside the heart of the goddamn US of A.
It is amazing how they genuinely believe "No taxation without representation" is equivalent to "a bloo bloo bloo my candidate lost"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17