Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New here, want to make mod, contribute to community, and generally have fun.  (Read 954 times)

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
  • Noice! Now, keel over and DIE!!!
    • View Profile

Hi there, im new here, and ive been wanting to jump into DF modding for a long time, only got to it recently. So, what i was planning to do is to make a long list of words and interaction for the image creation. Ex:

"The Fool
This is an image of Urist the Dwarf, a cliff, a blazing sun, and a dog.
Urist the Dwarf is displaying an elegant pose. Urist is singing. The sun
is behind the cliff. The dog is barking."

Can someone give me a lead as to where can i found the example or source files in which the current interaction and other image creation phrase are located? and if your a veteran modder, is there any advice for a fledgling modder like me?-id love to hear them. Thx  :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Hi and welcome here :)

You can either do that in the description files in the RAWs, or you go another route and add words to the languages... that way dwarves will automatically use them in engravings and naming.

There are a few mods out there, one stands out particularly, it has 75 thousand randomly generated descriptors like the ones you propose.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile

Welcome, and I think this is what Meph is referring to, right Meph?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=143949
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh wow! Awesome! 2/5 of my fav modders were the ones to actually greet me first! :D DF community IS as friggin !!awesome!! As they say...
Erhmmm...sorry, yes back to business
It seems my idling and postponing has left me behind the community, 75k words are far beyond something id imagine possible for english, i might have to plan this over...

The only idea i could muster up currenty is that i could do the same thing, but instead of actual proper english-i could possibly contribute to that "Teh LOL mod" by apiks http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132175.0
Incorporating popular internet slang words suchas MLG 360NOSCOPE, rekt, pwnd, ,blin/blyat, dominated!/dominating, noob, or even go as far as Nadsat from Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess or other subcultures.

Ofcourse i could always abandon the idea of words and image creation mod and make something else...*sigh, im actualy surprised to see no one has made mods out of popular series like WH40K (i remember there is, but its abandoned and outdated, and not actual SPESS MEHREEN vs SHOOTA BOYZ vs HERETICS!!! vs SPESS ELVES, but rather the spin off? Underhive, is that what it is?) or what Meph said: shadowrun TC

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After browsing the raw, i found where i can put new words to the civs and races but i was looking or a file that could directly add and remove lines from the screen below

I remember there was a mod back then that does so the same, despite it not being the main content of the mod it self. What i saw from WastedLabor's mod was a predefined image description, and what i was aiming were to make lines that allow the players to make their own image with more freedom. Like the example i provided before, "Urist the dwarf is singing" which the line is "X is singing" and said X is "Urist the dwarf"...so how do i do that? does this involve DFhack (cuz i hear it allows for custom scripts?)? if so, this might take longer as i have no skill in coding  :-\

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Those strings are actually encoded in the DF executable (list of all embedded strings here) rather than appearing in the raws, but all is not lost.  There is a tool designed for localization (translating DF into other languages) that can be used to alter any of the embedded strings, though unfortunately it can't add completely new ones.  This might be the tool, but I'm not sure.  Haven't been following that project to be honest.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those strings are actually encoded in the DF executable (list of all embedded strings here) rather than appearing in the raws, but all is not lost.  There is a tool designed for localization (translating DF into other languages) that can be used to alter any of the embedded strings, though unfortunately it can't add completely new ones.  This might be the tool, but I'm not sure.  Haven't been following that project to be honest.

No wonder...at least now i know where to look, I suppose I do need to learn a bit of coding and how it works now don't I?
Anyway, thanks everyone for getting me started in this: Dirst, Meph, Enemy Post. Ill take my leave for the time being to work on this then, Gentlemen *tips hat

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

No, coding probably won't help you with that in particular; it's one thing to code, yes, but it's quite another thing to add extra content such as that to a compiled executable. It's possible, but so is swimming the Pacific. I wouldn't recommend it.

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, coding probably won't help you with that in particular; it's one thing to code, yes, but it's quite another thing to add extra content such as that to a compiled executable. It's possible, but so is swimming the Pacific. I wouldn't recommend it.
Ive read the basic principles of compiling and decompiling, but that's on a "Java for newbie" kind of tutorial book, and DF runs on C++ right? no? Visual C? *sigh i dont even know the difference  :'( , anyway: does different programming language affects this particular process? isnt there some sort of uh...compatibility? also you can say its not worth it, but one can argue the philosophy on modding a software, game in particular ;D -testament to this is Skyrim modding scene, putting obscene amount of it, either for fun, new ways to play, or just plain curios...then again Skyrim and all bethesda games in general have the support of CK to make mods... :-\

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

It runs on C++, compiled with Microsoft Visual Studio. Different languages will affect the decompiling process; C++ is ludicrously difficult to modify once it's been compiled as far as these go. It's not even remotely worth it to try. I'm not telling you to give up, I'm saying that... you may notice that there exist no mods at all that use binary patches to add content. There are binary patches to fix bugs, restore existing content and swap out (but not add!) text, but using binary patches to add content is hideously difficult (and might make your mod incompatible with DFHack besides).

This is the kind of thing people go down as legends for, I'm saying. Not really worth it to add flavor text.

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah very well then, ambition often took over a man like me, forgive my stuborness, i shall start with something much smaller...

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

Ah very well then, ambition often took over a man like me, forgive my stuborness, i shall start with something much smaller...
Actually you had good instincts on what to change... a single bit of new content that would be easily visible and testable.  It just so happened that you were unlucky enough to pick something hardcoded.  The best place to start would be something in the raws, especially since that forces you to learn what is in the raws :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map