Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I've been away for half a decade, anything new?  (Read 1729 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: I've been away for half a decade, anything new?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 06:14:04 am »

Nobles do actual work now and have assignable labors. They no longer make unsatisfiable demands or mandates.

So, how do I make brass beds? (43.05 fort) (Ok, was a demand probably.)

Mandate
Demand

Note that demands specify a material, an object, and a location.
Mandates specify an item, and sometimes a material.

Also note the line:
In previous versions, items (of any type) of a desired material could be mandated. This is no longer possible in 34.11.

What is omitted, is that now in order to get a material-specific mandate, you must have access to that material, and the item must be capable of being made from that material without a mood.

So no iron beds as mandates.  They can concievably have that satisfied as a DEMAND, by putting an artifact iron bed in the place they want it, but as the article for demand points out:

If a demand goes without being fulfilled, the noble will be "angered at the state of demands" and receive an unhappy thought, but no dwarves will be punished. After about 3 years, an announcement will be made that the noble has simply "forgotten" the demand.

You dont need to off a noble over absurd demands.  In the past, you had to off nobles over absurd mandates.  That has been fixed since .34.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 06:37:53 am »

I agree the stupid bed demands are demands, but I've definitely have had mandates for X weapons (of a type that can only be made from metal) without having any metal in the fortress (again, possibly with the exception of the standard embark items). I don't remember if the type of non existent metal was specified, though.
Apart from eliminating mandate spamming nobles you can also neutralize them by never activating the injustice system.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 07:32:19 am »

Did I miss any good comics?
Yes. The Littlest Cheesemaker

OMG.  I'm a newbie so I didn't know about it either.  Incredible.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 10:14:08 am »

Mandate
Huh. First time reading that page. I wonder what was the design for figuring out "isn't a projectile" part and whether riding a minecart hanging in mid-air on top of a minecart qualifies.

Edit: oh yeah, remembered this. Might be useful.
Here, threads in DFFD helps

Talk to me about 0.43

Haven't played in a while. How should I utilize writing/inns?

Research: Scrolls vs. Codices and other Library Information

DF v.43 Work orders questions and suggestions

Fire spreading through walls?

Three features/bugs:

A (kludgey) workaround for the disappearing caravan bug

Reanimated head skin == fort death

Sudden FPS drop?
Also bunch of adv mode construction stuff.

Of course, it is a lot. Mind, this isn't all. But the game has gone through like 11 versions since then.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:08:50 am by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 [2]