Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I've been away for half a decade, anything new?  (Read 1723 times)

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
I've been away for half a decade, anything new?
« on: November 07, 2016, 04:44:12 pm »

I haven't played DF in a looooong time, my good computer died, again. So I'm back to using my 06' computer, again. Which means I'm looking for Lowfi games, again.

I've gone back and looked at the changelogs, and decided I'd rather talk to human beings about it(Hello fellow humans #notarobot). What big changes have I missed? Would you enjoy this timecapsule of DF related questions?

Don't seriously attempt to answer these. I'm looking for a discussion, and a trading of perspectives. These are more to elucidate where I was to you, rather than anything else.

Do Clowns still kill your computer before they kill your Dorfs?
Can we craft in adventure mode?
Can flying creatures vault over pathless walls yet?
Are invasions still infinite, are dwarf expeditions working yet?
Is the military screen still a nightmare?
Do caravans still bug out all the time?
Are Nobles still lavabate?
Are Forbidden Beasts still ridiculously common?
Traps still OP?
Is Masterwork still trash?
Did I miss any good comics?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I've been away for half a decade, anything new?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 05:01:44 pm »

I've only been at it for two years, so I don't fully know where you come from, but:
1. They can cause a significant FPS drop, but my personal experience is that a full gobbo siege is worse.
2. Some crafting has been introduced. I don't play adventure, so I have no first hand experience, though.
3. I don't quite understand your question, but flying creatures can fly over things, yes. Now you will know why you should fear the keas.
4. No. invaders come from sites, and those sites run out of bodies, as enemies don't know how to recruit from other sites yet. If you want lots of siegers you need to be careful with your embark selection, as well as the world generation.
5. It's not intuitively obvious.
6. There are new disappearing caravan bugs, but I don't know about your old ones.
7. Nobles are mostly useless demand spammers. There are various ways to deal with that.
8. A pocket world seems to contain a dozen to a score, so you'll run out of them eventually.
9. Yes.
10. A lot of people seem to use it, which I haven't, but I assume the users consider it worthwhile, if you're talking about the mod. If your talking about masterworks quality items, they're a bit better than standard and a bit worse than artifacts. There's no real reason not to try to equip your militia with masterworks quality gear.
11. ?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 05:09:57 pm »

An `06 computer huh.  I probably had dual cores, and maybe an AMD-64 back then.  RAM should be cheap. 

But I'm not sure that can run 64-bit Win7/Win10 OS; so you will have to settle for a shallow world gen, short history of the latest 32-bit v43.05 DF.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 05:30:25 pm »

Robotmode=ON

Greetings fellow human. Let us discuss pointless human things concerning a human waste of time, that is playing video games.

The clown simulants in the clown car cause a significant drop in FPS as the simulation attempts to compute the paths they can take. Depending on the computing platform one uses, this may not present a significant obstacle.

Yes. Adventure simulation mode now permits foolish humans to attempt item creation, and simple building construction. The superior computer will always win though, no matter how unorthodox the rule abuse the humans attempt to use.

Flying simulants can path anywhere there is sky to path through. Walls do not present useful obstacles, human.

Invading forces are now selected from historical figure and site populations, as human players believed this was more realistic. Currently, snatchers do not appear as they once did. Expeditions to greedily appropriate artefacts is planned for the next release.

The military screen is more complex than ever, with advanced uniform options, and training schedules.

Caravans do not bug out on bloody items as they used to. Elves now properly respect grown wood items being traded back to them, and overall, they do not come during seiges as they once did. They still "bug out" when evil rain falls on them, however.

Nobles do actual work now and have assignable labors. They no longer make unsatisfiable demands or mandates.

The fun stuff is still plentiful and fun, human.

Traps have seen some revision. Notably, atom smashing traps no longer work on very large enemies, such as clowns and forgotten beasts. Cage traps are still a cheapshot, but many creatures are now web and trap immune.

I have never used masterwork mod, and cannot comment, fellow human.

There are many humorous comics to be found in community games. The littlest cheesemaker, and numerous others await you there.

Robotmode=OFF

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 05:38:29 pm »

I've certainly had nobles demand beds made out non wood material, as well as the construction of metal items when no metal is present either in the fortress or in the ground (apart from the starting picks, axes, and anvil).

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 05:40:53 pm »

Toady specifically nerfed that in .34.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 06:56:13 pm »

I'm also someone who started playing relatively recently.  If I imagine playing 5 years ago vs today, the biggest thing I would miss is the work orders.  There are a lot of things to complain about wrt usability in DF, but work orders are by and large amazing.  Although the ease-of-learning aspect is lacking, once you learn how to do things it is fantastically easy to use.

If you haven't played in 5 years and you enjoy experimenting with different production work flows, then I highly recommend taking the newest version for a spin.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 08:45:05 pm »

I thought work orders were a thing in 2011? Or were they the DF2012 update?
In either case, now work orders can have unlimited number (instead of 30) produced so that is handy.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 12:09:46 am »

Welcome back old timer.   :)

It seems you've been away for many moons. Were there vampires, werewolves and the secrets of life and death back when you last played? The world now has been activated which essentially means it is a living breathing world with lasting implications for your actions. Unlike in the past time continues to pass for the rest of the world as you play and the world lives on beyond the death of your fortress. You can reclaim fortresses that have fallen in the past, you can do all sorts of spoilery stuff with slabs now. There are complex dwarf social needs, bars for them to drink themselves to death in, temples to worship their gods, musical instruments to make and play, poetry to compose, etc. New and improved buggy enemies like horrible impossible to kill severed undead weasel heads can now be experienced. I'm not sure if you played before the existence of good and evil regions or not, but if you haven't then you certainly need to play a couple of fortresses in a terrifying biome preferably next to a necromancer tower. Fun will be had. Much has changed. Beware the stealth weremamoth.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 12:22:33 am by Melting Sky »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 01:10:40 am »

Can flying creatures vault over pathless walls yet?
The were-hare is dead but your dwarf is wounded. You have the gate closed and decide to wait to see if he is infected. Then you realize he is already inside the walls and gnawing on your dwarves, because of course that 1 level wall is no obstacle to a were-hare. Flyers, jumpers, and climbers... 
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 02:07:18 am »

If that was a reply to my post then the nerf didn't work, as I started on 0.40.X, and probably had my latest metal bed demand in 0.40.24. If it wasn't a response to my post, it would be useful to indicate what it refers to.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 04:22:18 am »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 04:48:30 am »

If that was a reply to my post then the nerf didn't work, as I started on 0.40.X, and probably had my latest metal bed demand in 0.40.24. If it wasn't a response to my post, it would be useful to indicate what it refers to.

Yes. Toady's dev log says he addressed absurd mandates on 2/14/2012, for version .34.01

Demands are different than mandates. They can demand anything, but there is no real penalty for ignoring it, unlike a mandate.

It used to be that you had to arrange accidents for nobles that liked crystal glass, blue candy, and grey spoilerite, because they would spam out mandates for impossible items made from these rare materials, and coupled with the prisoner feeding bug, was almost certain death for your craftsdwarves.

Demands are, again, different from mandates. They can demand solid gold toilets thrones all day long, but you can safely ignore then. The noble just gets all huffy, but does not call in the hammerer.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:57:15 am by wierd »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 05:48:54 am »

Nobles do actual work now and have assignable labors. They no longer make unsatisfiable demands or mandates.

So, how do I make brass beds? (43.05 fort) (Ok, was a demand probably.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:53:24 am by taptap »
Pages: [1] 2