Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Play 9th Company - Roots of Terror!  (Read 2199 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play 9th Company - Roots of Terror!
« on: November 07, 2016, 06:21:55 am »

So, I picked up this game a while ago while it was discounted on Steam. Seems to be some sort of squad-based, turn-based strategy game in the vein of things like 7,62, UFO: Aftermath, certain entries in the X-Com series and that sort of thing, set during the Soviet-Afghan War, following a group of rookie soldiers and apparently based on true events.

Who knows, really. That's sadly not a topic I'm very knowledgeable about, as interesting as it is. Expect plenty of stupid "In Soviet Russia..." jokes to fill space.
I'm just going to go in and play this completely blind- apart from glancing at a couple of screenshots on the Steam page, the above description is basically all I know about it. Hopefully it has some ability to rename your soldiers so that I can dorf y'all, but as it is supposedly based upon real events and people I'm not sure that will be the case.

This is my first LP, so don't expect anything great. I don't even know if this thing will run properly on my computer. :P
If the game turns out to be utter garbage, you guys will probably have to crack the whip if you want me to bother updating it. Ehh, let's just start the game and take a nice screenshot to cap off this first post, shall we? ...Oh wait. It's installing DirectX. Please stand by.

One of those blurry buttons, the top one, actually says New Game, so I'm gonna press that.
Obviously I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm not sure if Steam is to blame for the screenshots being such a strange resolution, or if it's Postimg's fault.
Either way, I guess I'd probably be better off just posting them as tiny images until someone suggests a way to fix this. Oh well whatever.
...Wait! I just figured it out, this dumb website defaults to linking you to thumbnails. -_-
Ugh, well, learning process, right? No need to spam up the thread with huge images of the starting sequence anyway. You can click on them to view the full size if you feel the need to for some strange reason.

I guess I'll... post images of the new-game-starting process in the next post? Good enough for me.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 06:54:41 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play 9th Company - Roots of Terror!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 06:22:11 am »

The smoking cigarette in the ashtray over on the left is actually animated, so you know this game is srs bsns.
Also the cursor is a metallic arrowhead-looking thing with a little Hammer and Sickle on it, how cool is that?!
...Alright let's do this. I'm gonna click "Start" and see if my computer crashes.

Spoiler: Good morning, Sir! (click to show/hide)
Bla bla bla, Airborne Task Force training camp, bla bla bla, carry out tactical exercise, learn the principles of command, etcetera etcetera. It's the tutorial, basically. I'm sure you get the idea.
I need to do some IRL stuff and then I shall jump right in. Oh, I couldn't get screenshots of it for some reason, but the loading screen showed a bunch of FMV cutscene-style footage, presumably from the film this game was supposedly based on. Oh, did I mention that? No? Whoops.
Well, there you have it. I have no idea whether the game is based more on history, the film, or what. I've never seen it so who cares.

Anyways, back soon.

Edit:
We'll probably be referring back to this image A LOT throughout this LP.
Or pulling faces very similar to it, at least.

Anyway, onwards, into the tutorial! Basically it's telling me the camera controls and keyboard shortcuts and what-have-you.
Now, I know what these games are like, so I am actually going to pay attention to this part of the tutorial and take notes. Yes, I am taking notes- these games get annoying as hell when you have to keep pausing the damn thing every few minutes to refresh your memory on which key it is to tell a soldier to zip up their fly after taking a piss or whatever.

So I'm going to try and avoid that, if possible. This game looks complex enough without forgetting the goddamn controls. 

Well, at least it isn't making him look like a corpse. Yet.

I'm actually quite liking this game's mechanics so far. There's a key to have soldiers automatically seek cover, and a key to have them replenish and share ammo automatically. Those options should take out a lot of micromanagement- assuming they work well, which remains to be seen.

Oh joy.

I came close enough to blowing Dygalo up during mine placement training... yes, with a real mine.
This probably won't end well. >.>

Turns out we were using "training mines" for that particular exercise- they still explode when you step on them, they just don't seem to hurt. Much. I guess they're like those party popper things which explode and shoot confetti? Who knows.

This should be interesting. I wonder how much longer this tutorial goes for? I'm looking forward to failing/flailing pathetically for real.

Wow, this tutorial doesn't mess about.
It had me blow some stuff up by calling in artillery and air support, and now we have to take a village.
Spoiler: This village. (click to show/hide)

Welp, I guess now we see if I manage to get us all killed before even finishing the tutorial, eh?

Also, we're almost there. This is probably going to end terribly, who knows.

Led by our BMP-2 tank and watched over by a helicopter, we fearlessly advanced into the settlement and valiantly liberated it from the fierce horde of... wooden training dummies who infested it. Uh. Yeah. I guess I was kinda worried over nothing there, haha.

Although I'm pretty sure I almost managed to kill a bunch of our dudes by having the chopper do its thing too close.
Oh well, we still get the victory screen and a lovely taste of stirring patriotic music to lift our spirits!

Let's hope this is the first of many "Mission Accomplished" screen and dramatic opera choir combos to come.

And so here ends the first instalment of my 9th Company - Roots of Terror LP.
I hope I didn't make too much of a mess of it. Now, it's time for food. Any comments?

I still don't know if there is an option to edit the names of soldiers, since I haven't started the game proper, yet.
We shall see.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:26:14 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 11:39:43 am »

PTW!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 11:56:59 am »

Say, this is rather all right!

Also, I wondered briefly whether this was related to a similarly-named Russian war movie that circulated around a decade or so back - turns out it was!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 12:45:58 pm »

PTW

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 11:23:05 am »

Ah I just saw this, I hope you keep it up.  I keep almost buying this when it's on sale, this might tip the balance...