Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Tyranny: from Paradox, "Are we the baddies?" simulator  (Read 13406 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tyranny: from Paradox, "Are we the baddies?" simulator
« on: November 06, 2016, 09:50:30 pm »

Anyone else excited about this (http://www.tyrannygame.com/)?  I felt quite let down by Pillars of Eternity, and this seems like Pillars, but hopefully deeper and more imaginative.

The basic premise is the war between Evil and the rest of the world happened and Evil won, and you are just his lieutenant charged with reconciling the factions. I am a sucker for an rpg with a premise other than save the world, and this sounds pretty great.

As far I've seen from the party members on the website, there is a tanky warrior permabound in the swords and armor of his heroic bretheren, a savage and stealthy beastwoman, a waterbender, a singer whose songs hurt and heal, bound in a helmet limiting her power, a traveling scholar, and a bloodthirtsy sword-dancer.

Anyone else following this?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tyranny: from Paradox, "Are we the baddies?" simulator
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 10:32:28 pm »

This sounds dope as all hell.

I get so sick and tired of having to play as endless boring variations on the good guy or the "edgy antihero who really is just a hero with a dark filter applied" and so on. This looks like a chance to play as a bad (or at least ruthless) guy without it immediately devolving into chaotic stupid territory. Not sure if my computer will be able to run it, but hopefully I'll be able to give it a shot at some point. I'll have more of a look at it now. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 10:51:28 pm »

It looks a bit cheesy, but I'm still interested. From what I've read it's going to be a more focused experience than Pillars which will be nice. Not every RPG needs to be 100+ hours.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 02:52:58 am »

as long as it's not 'actually normal world but with a shade of reed' I'd be all in for a different setting. but last time I was let down so hard I don't believe it's ever possible (it was Orcs: First Blood)

A Fatebinder’s word is law, and you decide the fate of the Tiers. Even the smallest of choices shape the land and its people. Tasked with making decisions that truly matter to theTiers and to the factions of Kyros’ army, you will develop a reputation based upon your deeds -- and you will find the world a drastically changed place each time you play Tyranny.

this claims worries me more than anything.

but hey. glad if they try and pull it off.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 03:20:53 am »

Semi-unrelated, but, obligatory: Are we the baddies?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 03:51:56 am »

"from Obsidian Entertainment"
Saying "from Paradox" is like saying "Galaxy SX from T-Mobile".
I quite liked Pillars, it was something 'Baldury', lacking in modern RPGs with some strange ideas to please kickstarter ("See into the soul" or however it sounds in original, I'm talking about you).

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 11:59:18 am »

I've already pre-ordered the Overlord edition.  I'm quite looking forward to it in three days.  My fingers are all twitchy.

That said, there is a misconception about what is 'evil'.  Tyranny in itself isn't really evil.  It's the rule of governance through absolute force.  Napoleon was a tyrant, so was Hitler, as well as several King's of England and others.  The various Chinese Dynastic Emperors and even the Shogunate of Japan could all be described as dictatorships, and thus ruled by tyranny; but most of us never really consider them to be 'evil'.

It's just a harder set of choices.  Us little people will always consider a singular all-powerful ruler to be tyrants, but the view from the top can be very different.  Lol.  Still, I expect game will be quite a bit different from Pillars, or other games like Baldur's Gate.  From what I've read, you can go the goody-two-shoes route, but it is very hard to get anything done while during so.  Tyranny has an amazing amount of political and socialital reverence. If you tick off too many people or factions, you'll never get any support to get anything done.

You have to be ruthless, merciless, and perhaps even a touch cruel just to survive.  Not only do you have to deal with those around you, you have to keep an eye on the clock in order to appease those above you.  That means you have to make the hard choices that'll chew at your guts and your conscious!  Yummy.  Heh.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 01:40:26 pm »

I agree with your argument, you're right.  But Paradox does publish a certain type of game consistently.  They may not be the ones producing them, but they are pushing them out, and they've built up a reputation for the genre and quality Paradox-funded games are known for.  So there's still name recognition, even if they're not the direct developers.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 02:33:53 pm »

I guess I am emphasizing "from Paradox" because for me they produce games that don't fit predictable molds and make interesting gameplay out of surprising subjects (if anyone told me that I would sink 200+ hours into a royal marriage simulator then years ago, I'd be a bit surprised, but Crusader Kings II is amazing, and still a royal marriage simulator)

Obsidian is a great company that disappointed me with their last effort at a BGII: pillars had a lot of potential and did very little with it, we'd meet a cool companion, e.g. Kana, follow them on their quest, and when it arrived it was a meager fight and an uneventful conversation where Kana is like, "oops guess what I thought was going to be awesome is actually pretty lame". All I felt was, well Kana is right, that was really lame. This is why, at least for me, "New rpg from Paradox (also Obsidian is making it)" sounds more promising than "Obsidian is giving us more Pillars type goodness!"

And yeah, being able to play a baddie is very promising, because I cannot remember a well-done evil narrative since Arcanum: KOTOR was stupid evil (e.g. I got turned off dark side in KOTOR 2 when the dilemma is: a bunch of evil mafiosi are screwing migrants, Light side is help the migrants through peaceful negotiation, I wanted a Dark Side solution that enabled me to feed the mafiosi their own entrails, instead I was encouraged to screw the migrants extra hard, for absolutely no benefit to me and no sense of a resolution.  Evil for evil's sake is pretty stupid when you don't get to indulge yourself), Baldur's gate was neutral evil at best, but Arcanum really had a nice sweet spot in letting you do terrible things for fun and profit.

I hope tyranny carries on that mission with aplomb.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 03:18:22 pm »

I agree with your argument, you're right.  But Paradox does publish a certain type of game consistently.  They may not be the ones producing them, but they are pushing them out, and they've built up a reputation for the genre and quality Paradox-funded games are known for.  So there's still name recognition, even if they're not the direct developers.

mmmm.... have to disagreed here. If you look at games they've merely published instead of developed, there is a marked decrease in quality - often to the level of outright disaster. Gettysburg: Armored Warfare was a complete shitshow. Magicka was near unplayable at release. Sword of the Stars 2? Impire? Paradox Interactive definitely shovels out a ton of shit, although things have improved in the past couple years.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 10:36:57 am »

And the award for most confusing and useless trailer goes to...Tyranny!!

The 'be the baddies' bit doesn't sound particularly great either - to me, it looks more like a sort of 'start off on evil side but you're a generally nice guy/girl -> eventually learn *insert ohmygodwerebadguys plot point* -> become good guy/girl'.

Sure, they may put a bit more emphasis on the more 'evil' choices, but the story (from what I can decipher from the incredibly confusing trailer/website) seems to just be sort of dealing with the aftermath of the evil side winning the big good vs evil war. Interesting I suppose, but hardly new.

Still, Pillars but after a bit more experience/polish is something I'm always interested in.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 11:33:13 am »

The 'be the baddies' bit doesn't sound particularly great either - to me, it looks more like a sort of 'start off on evil side but you're a generally nice guy/girl -> eventually learn *insert ohmygodwerebadguys plot point* -> become good guy/girl'.
n.

I suspect this.

I am somewhat interested but will probably wait for a sale.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 11:35:25 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 11:34:59 am »

EnterElisyum is doing a let's play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGzhouxoxNA

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 04:01:08 pm »

Pillars of Eternity launched in a pretty buggy state, whole questlines and skills were broken. I don't doubt Tyranny is going to be any different.

I'm really hoping it doesn't suffer from PoE's unnecessarily dense writing. You don't need to drown the player in text to differentiate your generic not-kobold trash mob or totally not European inspired cities. Fluff is fine but I generally find it better used when optional, Dragon Age did this pretty well with their in game books.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:18:55 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 04:35:47 pm »

I'm really hoping it doesn't suffer from PoE's unnecessarily dense writing. You don't need to drown the player in text to differentiate your generic not-kobold trash mob or totally not European inspired cities. Fluff is fine but I generally find it better used when optional, Dragon Age did this pretty well with their in game books.

Completely agree - I normally enjoy getting into a story/world, but PoE seemed as though it was just adding in text to be 'different', rather than having really tight writing.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6