Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River is Frozen  (Read 1411 times)

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
River is Frozen
« on: November 05, 2016, 12:45:52 am »

Its summer and the river is still frozen.

Is there a way to fix this with dfhack?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: River is Frozen
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 01:05:02 am »

It's probably the climate in the area. Sometimes it isn't actually warm enough for the river to ever thaw.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 01:19:50 am »

Its summer and the river is still frozen.

Is there a way to fix this with dfhack?

If the river is two z or more deep, you ought to be able to cast a three tile wide section of some length, hollow out the center, and stick more magma in it to melt the water below?
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

ringringlingling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 02:14:22 am »

The climate read COLD, not freezing, so it should thaw.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 10:19:57 am »

Not always.
The map could have an area in which the temperature is colder than other parts and you are just unlucky to draw the shorter straw.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 11:13:22 am »

Not always.
The map could have an area in which the temperature is colder than other parts and you are just unlucky to draw the shorter straw.

That's a good point that I hadn't considered when answering this question in another thread. I once had an embark that was right on the edge of the freezing line in winter where one third of the map would get snow and the river would freeze but the rest of the region was too warm for that to happen. The embark selector indicated it was a tropical embark, but part of my map was obviously temperate. He may very well be in a similiar situation except his embark is on a cold biome that is actually straddling the divide with a frozen one. If the river is on the frozen portion of his embark it may never unfreeze.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 07:00:55 pm »

Did you accidentally turn off temperature in your init file? It sounds stupid but I just did it with my last fort (don't even remember why I turned it off originally)

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 04:12:41 pm »

Once I had a waterfall where downward was colder than upward. It was a total mess.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 08:28:05 pm »

Once I had a waterfall where downward was colder than upward. It was a total mess.
....I have considered waterfalls into steam before, but waterfalls into ice is a novel idea for me.

But, imagining a typical two-biome waterfall...it'd eventually create an ice barrel to hold the water in, provided the second biome is cold enough to never melt. A sort of artificial cistern/river.

If you used the ice walls as support, would make an unusual digging invader counter for submerged fortress, I suppose. If they dig one of those away, water will wash/encase them, and other directions wouldn't have walkable floor.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 10:49:17 pm »

The Winter Flood. Yep.

I had that, on a Y-shaped fork in the river. Add to that that we had a serious river gorge, and I just had to adapt to the fact that at various times of the year, the whole unfrozen bit of the river would slowly rise in level, damming itself, until the frozen bit melted in spring. Sort of like an annual tide of several z-levels. This wouldn't have been so much of a nuisance, except that the damn alligators rarely stayed in the frozen bit... So even when I avoided the flood into the Fortress, the winter flood was a slowly approaching alligator elevator of doom.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 12:24:41 am »

The Winter Flood. Yep.

I had that, on a Y-shaped fork in the river. Add to that that we had a serious river gorge, and I just had to adapt to the fact that at various times of the year, the whole unfrozen bit of the river would slowly rise in level, damming itself, until the frozen bit melted in spring. Sort of like an annual tide of several z-levels. This wouldn't have been so much of a nuisance, except that the damn alligators rarely stayed in the frozen bit... So even when I avoided the flood into the Fortress, the winter flood was a slowly approaching alligator elevator of doom.

:o
That is hilariously terrible.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 02:08:22 am »

The Winter Flood. Yep.

:o
That is hilariously terrible.

That is a pretty good description of the game, really. That and terribly hilarious.

I kept on getting migrant fisherdorfs. They didn't really understand the Floodwalls around the lower entrances to the fort were there for their protection, and would go on long circuitous paths in order to go fishing, get eaten by alligators, drown, or frozen in blocks of ice (or a combination of the above: I once found only a dorf arm in a block of ice, for example, no idea what happened to the rest of him) and then the next year, there'd be more migrant fisherdorfs. "Come to Alligator Creek for the fishing, stay for the Alligators". I loved Alligator Creek. It was quite possibly my favourite fort.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!