Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Metal Plants  (Read 861 times)

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
  • I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.
    • View Profile
Metal Plants
« on: November 03, 2016, 09:34:10 pm »

So, I made a plant be made out of a metal like material template. But for some reason, even though the material has [IS_METAL], the plant can't be made into metal objects in arena mode. Do I have to make a custom reaction and make this plant the reagent like with thread, or is there an easy way to make it harvest-able then melt-able?
I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Metal Plants
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 04:34:03 pm »

As far as I know, only METAL_TEMPLATE itself is meltable, its hardcoded. It might also be that the item type PLANT is not meltable. DF is strange like that, for example I once used a BOULDER made of a rotting material, but the boulder never rotted, because its not a FOOD or PLANT item. Sometimes specific combinations of materials and items simply dont work.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 07:19:31 pm »

As far as I know, only METAL_TEMPLATE itself is meltable, its hardcoded.

No, more likely it's the [IS_METAL] token that METAL_TEMPLATE happens to contain.

But yeah, some items don't act in certain ways, presumably either for performance reasons or because Toady never really considered that some people might like rotting bars of meat.

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
  • I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 08:44:01 pm »

No, more likely it's the [IS_METAL] token that METAL_TEMPLATE happens to contain.

But yeah, some items don't act in certain ways, presumably either for performance reasons or because Toady never really considered that some people might like rotting bars of meat.
So I'll have to go with making a custom reaction?
I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
  • Order of the Black Arrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 03:42:59 pm »

So I'll have to go with making a custom reaction?

Most likely.