Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nano Bots  (Read 2925 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Nano Bots
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 12:48:35 pm »

Actually, from what I understand it actually causes damage to the lung organ as they vomit.

Therefore a long chain of drinking that causes repeated and constant vomiting will not give the lungs a chance to heal, and will destroy their ability to breathe over time.

I saw this in a thread and am simply repeating it. I have seen no deaths due to alcohol because idleness is punishable by work assignment in Unoincloisters.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 12:54:57 pm »

Actually, from what I understand it actually causes damage to the lung organ as they vomit.

Therefore a long chain of drinking that causes repeated and constant vomiting will not give the lungs a chance to heal, and will destroy their ability to breathe over time.

I saw this in a thread and am simply repeating it. I have seen no deaths due to alcohol because idleness is punishable by work assignment in Unoincloisters.

so if thats true then its more of death by vomit rather than death by alcohol.

i think some science needs to be done on alcohol poisoning
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 05:53:37 pm »

Well, it's not the vomiting itself that kills, or cave adaptation would be lethal. Alcohol poisoning kills the same way it frequently does in real life, i.e. the person goes unconscious due to poisoning, vomits due to poisoning, and fails to wake up sufficiently (due to poisoning) to clear out the vomit, so it's both pulled down into the lungs and blocks the airways.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 06:40:20 pm »

That's not a thing that DF simulates, though, to my understanding. It does not track the amount of liquid in lungs.

I expect cave adaption would also be lethal if it was as constant as tavern drinking.

There has been science done on the subject. I don't know where it is :(

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 03:27:14 am »

That's not a thing that DF simulates, though, to my understanding. It does not track the amount of liquid in lungs.

I expect cave adaption would also be lethal if it was as constant as tavern drinking.

There has been science done on the subject. I don't know where it is :(

DF doesn't simulate liquid in the lungs, "only" suffocation, which is simulated as lung damage (although if you want you can consider it to be corrosive damage from digestive juices instead). However, real life suffocation doesn't damage the lungs, but either has basically no effect (if short enough) or causes brain damage as neurons die from oxygen deprivation stress (and free radicals all over the place as oxygen becomes available again), so DF doesn't simulate an actual real life process.
I would expect most dorfs to die from drinking if they were downed 3-4 times in succession without stumbling away from the tavern, but usually they get away after at most two, and only risk dying if they return while still injured. Recovering from cave adaptation takes quite some time, so if vomiting was causing death you should easily be able to kill fully cave adapted dorfs by simply locking them out on the surface: they should die from vomit dehydration well before the cave adaptation wears off if vomit dehydration death was a thing.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 05:04:43 am »

I'll be honest I never give my taverns barmen. As a result I enjoy all the visitor benefits of a tavern but no bar fights and cirrhosis. I ought to implement a barman sooner or later just to get the extra Fun, as my fortress is well and truly settled atm.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 05:34:56 pm »

I love my dorfs, i can't help it.  I have a hard time organising militias and sending them out to fight and die.  I get too attached.

I'm the same way. I will go to great lengths to prevent my dwarves from suffering or getting killed unnecessarily. I still build and regularly deploy a military but only after it has been trained and armed to perfection. If a dwarf is to fall in honorable combat then it will not be because I didn't give them the tools they needed. I won't even harm those poor souls cursed with vampirism or lycanthropy, I instead opt to build them separate living quarters where they can't harm the others.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:39:48 pm by Melting Sky »

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 03:30:40 am »

I love my dorfs, i can't help it.  I have a hard time organising militias and sending them out to fight and die.  I get too attached.

I'm the same way. I will go to great lengths to prevent my dwarves from suffering or getting killed unnecessarily. I still build and regularly deploy a military but only after it has been trained and armed to perfection. If a dwarf is to fall in honorable combat then it will not be because I didn't give them the tools they needed. I won't even harm those poor souls cursed with vampirism or lycanthropy, I instead opt to build them separate living quarters where they can't harm the others.

I'm not that attached to them, but I am really upset if $STUPID happens - like their toes munched on by a duckling, then infection, untreated of course, then death. I see their deaths as a necessity (sometimes), but prefer to avoid it. I have also stopped maiming my nobles post the 2014 release. I have no problems sending my troops to fight FBs with deadly dust, poisonous vapours or somesuch - fire is another thing, those beasts I try to lure into a trap where I then kill them with ranged weapons (need to build a shower for the pill box to quench the fire in the hole - I'll do that tonight actually, now that I think of it). Or I try cave-ins, but that usually backfires...

Fallen heroes are buried in 5x5 tombs, with statues of their deeds inside and also displayed around the fort (especially in the barracks and around the trading depot). Stupid dorfs (fell out of a tree, drowned when dodging a duck, dug out stairs under themselves and fell into magma) are shoved in a wooden coffin in a remote corner (or a slab is engraved by a dabbler and put there to appease the spirits). Statues of them are disposed of - unless they depict the horrid death.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Fox Mulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 01:58:41 am »

I like to think that I'm the mass consciousness of the fortress' residents. It's like, sometimes, seven dwarves enter a state of the hivemind, pack the things they think they need and set out. Then they build the fortress, make stuff, deal with outsiders, live and die ruled by this mass consciousness. The wealthy fortress then attracts normal dwarves, who, when arrived, join the hivemind, becoming a part of it forever. For nobles, this can be especially tragic, as the inner conflict between dwarven tradition and the will of the hivemind might lead to a tragic suicide, which, surprisingly, is supported by the mass consciousness.

So it's much like a trap for the dorfs. Cannot say they aren't happy to live that way... most of the time if you satisfy their needs.
I want to believe
Pages: 1 [2]