Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking to make a mod incorporating DF Hack, not sure where to start  (Read 615 times)

Zerim

• Bay Watcher
  • One man's past is another man's weapon
    • View Profile

As the title says, I'm looking to get more out of my mods and get more indepth and customized functions. I've seen that DF Hack has a good set of tools and scripts, but I'm not sure how to make use of them. The only mods I've ever made were edits to raws, and I would like to make use of DF Hack, but there's no good tutorials online for some reason, and I'm not exactly sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to make a mod incorporating DF Hack, not sure where to start
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 04:59:07 pm »

The reason for lack of tutorials might have something to do with the limited number of people with experience using DFHack in mods. If you would like to see examples of DFHack being used in a mod, these are all the mods I know of that make use of DFHack:

umbraa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 08:03:00 pm »

I think the succubus mod uses dfhack too. There really need to be examples of how scripts are used in raws on the documentation website.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 11:01:05 am »

Meph's Masterwork mod uses DFHack as well, but like milo's his mod is interwoven with an external tool with its own learning curve.

Zerim is right that there aren't any real tutorials, but there is documentation and a bunch of helpful folks in the DFHack thread who will help you figure out what is and is not feasible.

The first thing you need to figure out is whether you will be using "off-the-shelf" DFHack tools like reaction triggers, or if there is some essential feature of your planned mod that requires building something from scratch.  Early versions of The Earth Strikes Back! (up to v1.22) mostly used/customized existing tools.  I bumped the version number up to 1.30 when I started doing original stuff, though even that is largely piecing together what I've seen elsewhere just in smaller chunks.

You can find a link to old TESB versions at the link jecowa provided, but the point isn't about the specifics of this one mod, rather how to wade into DFHack without getting paralyzed by trying to build everything from scratch.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map