Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Special Space Service - Prologue (Test Game) [Recruiting 5/8]  (Read 3978 times)

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
Special Space Service - Prologue (Test Game) [Recruiting 5/8]
« on: October 30, 2016, 12:19:54 pm »

The human species has advanced a lot since we last saw them. Ever since their first travel to space, they have managed to colonize most of the other planets and satellites of their star system. They have invented methods to travel to, extract, transport and of course, destroy, anything that crosses into their sights. Including themselves.

Humans might have a global government, but they are all but unified. Groups of humans constantly try to get one over other groups of humans, without caring for the consequences or collateral damage. That's why the Terran Government needs an army, to enforce their rule over people who might fight and destroy what other people have been working for their entire lives.

And within the army, a unit specializes in dealing with the hardest missions that the regular army could not hope to get even close...

Welcome recruits, you're lucky, for you have been selected to join the...
Special Space Service (IC)

Spoiler: Who are the players? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: How to join? (click to show/hide)

I'll be accepting 6-8 players for this test game. Any questions are welcome and any mechanic, weapon or class is subject to change. We will be starting once I have a full roster and finish making maps/sprites.

Player List:
1. Master Ko (ATHATH)
2. Rachel Honeysett (My Name is Immaterial)
3. Melissa Cross (Culise)
4. Loic Brown (Felissan)
5. Karine Arianne (Tiruin)

NPCS:
Cpt. Roman Bastian
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:18:53 pm by Solymr »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Special Space Service - Prologue (Test Game)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 12:20:59 pm »

PTW and a blessing, spaniardo ;v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 05:41:22 pm »

Any questions are welcome and any mechanic, weapon or class is subject to change.
I like statistics and number crunching (and a bit of powergaming, but I've been trying to cut down on that). So when I noticed that Streetfight had really bad damage and AP, but great accuracy, while the Tomahawk had great damage and AP, but average accuracy, I knew that something was off. So I ran the numbers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TLDR: Tomahawks are OP and mechs punching other mechs needs a buff. Shotguns are and autocannons are like airsoft and peashooters, respectively. Heat weapons are terribad.
I'm working on a character right now, I just got distracted by number crunching. If you have any questions, I'm going to hang around on the spreadsheet, so, if you want, I can walk you through my calculations and my suggestions.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 06:15:16 pm »

Ye maybe weapons are imbalanced, that's why this is test game. Appreciate the feedback.

I might have slightly underestimated the effects of mech armor on damage as per the system I made myself, 2 AP on 4 Armor is half damage. So I think bumping up Streetfight, SPAMS and Vulcan AP by 1. I'm also thinking about bumping the damage of SPAMS, Vulcan and Streetfight by 2, RPG, Beam Saber and  Beam Rifle by 1 and Tomahawk by 0.

Now about specifics: I wanted Streetfight to be relatively low damage/high hit and speed, and a counter to the Tomahawk. So I'm boosting Streetfight Speed to 7 and lowering Tomahawk's to 3.

Vulcan was also this sort of low damage high speed, but I'm going to switch its hit with the Beam Rifle's.

As for the SPAMS, it's supposed to be versatile at the cost of low range, I need to see how to do it.

Last, probably restrict the RPG to 3-5 to make it so there's always a risk of getting countered.

Now for ships: I thought about reducing HP by 5 and bumping up their Armor and Shields by the same amount, bump all weapons' damage by 2, Heat and Frag up by 3 and change Heat to 3-9 Range and 7 Speed, to emphasize long range fast attacks. And lowering Homing to 3-7 Range.

Also I can't really see spreadsheet because phone hates g-apps v:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 06:24:12 pm by Solymr »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 07:42:52 pm »

I might have slightly underestimated the effects of mech armor on damage as per the system I made myself, 2 AP on 4 Armor is half damage.
AH! I totally misunderstood that system. I thought that AP was a flat damage reduction. I've updated the calculations to account for that. AP is really powerful. It can make the difference between crippling or roiding out a gun.

Now about specifics: I wanted Streetfight to be relatively low damage/high hit and speed, and a counter to the Tomahawk.
Well, it certainly counters the Tomahawk very well (two 8.8 damage hits vs the Tomahawk's one 9.8), but it's going to be scoring 7.5 damage shots on most mechs. It can really fuck up snipers, but it's not viable on the frontlines, which is what you're going for, it sounds like.

Vulcan was also this sort of low damage high speed, but I'm going to switch its hit with the Beam Rifle's.
The Vulcan changes have really done a lot of good for it. Give a Valkyrie a pilot with good Coordination and an Autocannon, and it'll rip through anyone who didn't invest enough in Coordination. Two 9 damage hits means your health vanishes instantly. That said, almost any weapon will eat through a mech caught in its line of fire (expect SPAMS, which will take about 4-5 turns to finish off a mech), especially the RPG-M. An RPG-M will down anything but a Goliath in two shots, and a Goliath in four. Because not only will it hit with a 95% base to-hit, it will bypass all armor with its AP 5. Trimming its range is probably a good idea.

Now for ships: I thought about reducing HP by 5 and bumping up their Armor and Shields by the same amount, bump all weapons' damage by 2, Heat and Frag up by 3 and change Heat to 3-9 Range and 7 Speed, to emphasize long range fast attacks. And lowering Homing to 3-7 Range.
I can't speak too much to ships, as they've got a lot more factors to take into consideration, like different HP types. I think that more Armor and Shields would make for a longer start to a battle, followed a quick and bloody crescendo. Bumping up damage only makes that quicker. A fast heat weapon should now be able to mess up anyone who didn't invest in Coordination with two shots.

I'm noticing that Coordination is almost required if you pick mid-speed weapon, so if you fight a high-speed weapon, you don't get hit by two shots.

Also I can't really see spreadsheet because phone hates g-apps v:
:(

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 04:56:32 am »

Coordination is important. Now imagine if Attack Speed also gave Evasion like in other games v:

But anyways, if no one is interested in playing, it doesn't make much sense spending time talking about it.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 07:54:40 am »

I'm definitely interested. I'll wait for the class balancing to settle before I make my character, though.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 05:22:37 pm »

I'm not gonna bother with balancing if there won't be enough players to actually play it, so the people who are interested should post about getting a spot and I don't mind if a sheet is not immediately made.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 05:24:03 pm »

IN!

Making a min-maxed unkillable tank now...
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 05:41:26 pm »

Name: Master Ko
Personal info: A monk who has trained for his entire life in the art of mech martial arts.
MENTAL STATS
ACC: 0 (10%)
RFL: 3 (75%)
INS: 3 (75%)
CRD: 0 (40%)

SPACESHIP STATS

Class: Frag Launcher
Subclass: EMC

MECH STATS

Class: Ranger
Weapons: Beam Saber, Shotgun

What does +5 HP/Dodge (in the description of Reinforced Hull) mean?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:23:16 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 05:48:26 pm »

+5 hp and +5 critdodge

Also remember % is capped at 75%

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 06:23:47 pm »

+5 hp and +5 critdodge

Also remember % is capped at 75%
I've fixed my sheet now (I think).

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 07:11:12 pm »

Name: Rachel Honeysett
Personal info: Rachel was born on an asteroid mining colony in the Belt, where she learned the mining trade. Fed up with an unsatisfying life of painstakingly breaking apart 'roids in the Black for a faceless corporate master, she enlisted in the Terran Navy, with dreams of traveling the solar system, meeting new people, and then shooting them. It took her a few tries, but she eventually did well enough in her pilot exams to be placed at the helm of a ship, where she earned enough prestige to get her picked for the SSS.
MENTAL STATS
ACC: 2 50%
RFL: 1 50%
INS: 0 25%
CRD: 3 75%

SPACESHIP STATS
Class: Heat Beamer
Subclass: Combat Sensors

MECH STATS
Class: Valkyrie
Weapons: Autocannon & Streetfight

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Special Space Service - Prologue (Test Game) [Recruiting 2/8]
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 09:08:25 am »

I'm gonna bump this to see if anyone else wants in. If not then I'll have to close it then.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Special Space Service - Prologue (Test Game) [Recruiting 2/8]
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 04:23:17 pm »

Solymr, I'm curious, but I had a couple questions:

1. How far do missile and drone swarms move in a turn?
2. When using an MCVB, is the stat lowered based on the player choice or random probability?  Can it stack, and if so, how much?
Pages: [1] 2 3