Athiest
- 35 (47.9%)
Undecided
- 1 (1.4%)
Agnostic
- 10 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44

Author Topic: Religion discussion.  (Read 71308 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion discussion: The church of Bay12
« Reply #240 on: March 25, 2017, 03:50:23 pm »

Don't give me none of that Hanslanda.

Let me tell you about Jesus fan fiction.

Spoiler: JESUS SMASH (click to show/hide)

Also, if I'm not mistaken the main purpose of the Council of Nicaea was the establish the real core beliefs of Christianity, like the divinity of Jesus, and less about the details to follow (like the Apocrypha).
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2017, 04:16:26 pm »

There was also a story about child Jesus where he murders one of his childhood companions, like straight-up pushes him off the side of a roof in cold blood, apparently just to rez him in front of all the adults while they're freaking out about the dead child.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 25, 2017, 04:22:09 pm »

Seems to be a handful of things like that, really. Apocrypha jesus is a bit more obviously his father's son, heh. Probably a good chunk of why the stuff's not canon.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 25, 2017, 04:24:02 pm »

I'd probably be more Christian if they hadn't have taken all the cool stuff out.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 26, 2017, 02:09:42 am »

Jesus also exploded a snake that bit someone I believe, and might have killed another kid.  I remember something about him withering someone to death because they offended him, but when his parents scolded him for it he unwithered them.

I'm pretty sure I read that on Cracked, so there might have been some creative interpretation.

On another note, is it just convention among Christians or proper English grammar to refer to God and Jesus using capital pronouns?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 26, 2017, 02:12:18 am »

My phone alway autocorrects god to God, and it annoys me. I think it might also try to correct gods to God.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 26, 2017, 02:22:13 am »

That is because pedants gotta bitch and moan, when somebody says "the Christian god" without using the big G.  Nevermind that when discussing gods in general, rather than specifying a specific entity, it is not a proper noun, and should not be capitalized.  Mostly it is the horrible combination of literary pedant + religious nutcase, who comes unhinged at the very notion of not giving the Christian god the full service devotional fellatio.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2017, 02:30:41 am »

That is because pedants gotta bitch and moan, when somebody says "the Christian god" without using the big G.  Nevermind that when discussing gods in general, rather than specifying a specific entity, it is not a proper noun, and should not be capitalized.  Mostly it is the horrible combination of literary pedant + religious nutcase, who comes unhinged at the very notion of not giving the Christian god the full service devotional fellatio.
"Sure, the Lord God doesn't exist, but our society and all aspects of it are still under His cultural nuclear umbrella and so all components of Western civilization are inherently Christian, and so must be given reverence under pain of death anyway."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 26, 2017, 02:44:41 am »

Essentially.  The people in question, (and yes, I realize it is a kind of fallacy to speak in such terms), tend to come absolutely unhinged if you aren't positively salivating and licking your lips when you utter the word "god."  Damn skippy if you forget to make it with a capital G when referring to that particular deity.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #249 on: March 26, 2017, 03:53:31 am »

It's not even a Christian convention, actually. I transcribe a lot of older hymns to digital for my church, and most of them don't use the capital pronouns.

Also, could you guys bring yourselves to not froth at the mouth when talking about how you think people froth at the mouth? It's a) hypocritical and b) kinda offensive to those of us that don't froth.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 26, 2017, 03:59:10 am »

Never encountered a literary pedant I see. :P

These are the people who wax philosophical about Oxford comma use.  Here, I will find you a slashdot discussion about that very topic, and you can see what I mean.

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/17/03/17/1114255/lack-of-oxford-comma-could-cost-maine-company-millions-in-overtime-dispute

As I pointed out in the first volley, the person who gets uptight about the "Big G on GOD!" is the kind that is the combination of:

Literary Pedant (like the people in that slashdot discussion)
+
Religious extremist

Those are both highly exclusive groups with strong opinions. The type of person I am frothing about is the even more rare confluence of BOTH being the same person.  They can be quite vocal.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 26, 2017, 08:39:56 am »

It's not even a Christian convention, actually. I transcribe a lot of older hymns to digital for my church, and most of them don't use the capital pronouns.
Pretty much. Jesus is capitalized normally, since it's a proper name, but god... isn't, really. It's kinda' a title, but even that is sorta' eh. The christian god has a (bucketload of) proper name(s), it's just sort of blasphemy (and possibly smite attracting, or something along those lines) to use them. Could probably leave christ uncapitalized, too, really -- it's a noun more than proper noun. Pretty much any name that's been used for the devil, since every one of them isn't an actual name. Probably a bunch of other stuff.

Superfluous capitalization is just one of those religious language things. Not a particularly firm grammatical mandate for it, but feel free to indulge. Anything goes when religion gets involved with grammar, basically.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 26, 2017, 12:44:49 pm »

My phone alway autocorrects god to God, and it annoys me. I think it might also try to correct gods to God.

I wish my telephone was that pious. Mine insisted on correcting the Lord (Herren) into Hernando. Hernando's will be done, A grace of Hernando... This Hernando seem to enjoy quite the esteem amongst telephones.
I swiftly put a stop to it. I cannot spell to save my life (as you might have noticed), but I would rather that be my own fault.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 26, 2017, 12:46:12 pm »

Hernando disapproves.

You will be sent to hergatory.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 26, 2017, 12:47:10 pm »

I support the militant church of christian cellphone autocorrect software
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 44