Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Really complex games?  (Read 7368 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Really complex games?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 08:50:33 pm »

The main way is that there's a meeting you need to attend about 30 days after you leave your first dungeon. If you miss that meeting, the main plot never triggers.

You get another chance actually, if you somehow don't make the meeting you get two more weeks after another letter arrives. But you can stumble into the main quest after pissing Lady Brisienna off anyway, I know that one for sure since my first run through the game I thought I fucked up.

I think this was actually more pronounced as a problem in Morrowind however - if you didn't optimize your misc. skills at EVERY level you missed out on most of the stat upgrades, causing you to need to do dumb shit like jumping marathons to make sure you've trained the right stats just the right amount at every level. If you weren't careful in what you left as main/minor vs misc skills then you were fucked basically.

You could honestly set things up so your major and minor skills gave you what you needed in a reasonable amount. But that kind of takes understanding the system from the start... It is undeniably more important in morrowind though, given how much harsher morrowind is with the chance to hit when you swing than daggerfall. But you can still win morrowinds main quest at super early levels with an unoptimised character, it just makes melee combat painful.

Dungeons and Dragons 3.5e / Pathfinder

If by complex you mean overly build focused and convoluted sure. If any of that is actually important in a game odds are it's being ran purely on rolls and not roles. Might as well just play NWN or any other CRPG at that point.

That said I'd have to second the distant worlds mention. That game made me reconsider finding paradox games complex.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:55:14 pm by Gunner-Chan »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 01:51:21 am »

"Robinson's Requiem" is pretty complex. It's an old survival game where you play as a Robinson, a person who is sent to survive on new planets. You have to manage hunger, thirst, body temperature and medication if/when you get sick.

I've only seen a play through of the first one by Lethalfeline and Grimith. The plot is odd and death is very frequent but it has interesting mechanics and depth.
How does it compare to Unreal World?

It actually likely inspired Unreal world to be honest.

I do not know about Unreal world but the game has various medical aparatus you need to use for different situations. Tablets for food poisoning, maleria and the flu, disinfectant for cleaning wounds, antivenom. I think you can lose limbs in the game and I know you can lose one or both of your eyes.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 02:09:44 am »

It is one reason why the ending of the game is REALLY weird...

Given the game has a very survival aspect to it.

Heck! You can't even swim if the water is too cold and it becomes one of the bigger barriers in the game until you find a way around it.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 04:35:55 am »

I think there are different kinds of complexity.
Dwarf Fortress is rightly known as one of the most complex games due to the amount of interactions simulated both on the local map and globally. However, it is not a hard game once you know the tricks.

EVE online would be the most complex game in my view. The coded rules are simple, - buy/mine/steal stuff so you can build/buy stuff so you can buy/mine/steal stuff better. But what I hear about the living economy and faction wars makes it so complex on a psychological level that I have given up in advance.

My favorite complexity is where the game rules are simple, but the player is allowed to create complex solution.
Spacechem and Infinifactory by Zachtronics are prime examples, but advanced open world builders like Fortresscraft Evolved, and modded Minecraft have the same complexity. Of cause, Dwarf Fortress is great in this category.  :)

Talking of complexity, - Klei Entertainment is working on what looks like my dream game. ‘Oxygen not included’ seems to be a 2d SF base builder with a very advanced material physics simulation behind it.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/457140/
This developer play is great, - especially as it points towards the option of drowning enemies in … fluid latrine waste.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+oxygen+not+included+klei&view=detail&mid=5CC74DA182B9B6B4B9B05CC74DA182B9B6B4B9B0&FORM=VIRE
(and doesn’t this plumbing suggest creative heat exchange thermodynamics?)
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/457140/ss_693dceeb179f32e73ff91415bfcdfc279d00cac7.1920x1080.jpg?t=1465852842

My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 10:45:33 am »

Oxygen not included does look pretty great, thanks for sharing.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 06:47:41 pm »

Battleground: Europe is pretty fun.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 07:03:45 pm »

My summer car.

Imagine car mechanic simulator taken to the next level. Have to tune the carb, tension the belts, align the steering. That's after you assemble a car from scratch, all with little or no hints. Also you have to make money to eat and fuel your rides doing odd jobs with other very well simulated vehicles.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 07:49:21 pm »

Children of a Dead Earth - it's on the forum here so I won't go into too much detail, but it's an incredibly detailed space warfare simulator. More than just the steep learning curve, you're also up against the fact that you basically only get one shot - so you can put in a hell of a lot of work for something that doesn't pan out.

KSP is also good if you set yourself some hefty targets.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 01:19:16 am »

How does it compare to Unreal World?

Unreal world is a hunting/survival game set in a historically inspired setting and Robinsons Requiem is a adventure game with light survival elements. I do actually enjoy Robinsons Requiem as a game but it's more "This cures that" and obtuse rather than deep.

It is one reason why the ending of the game is REALLY weird...

Given the game has a very survival aspect to it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 06:21:24 am »

what was the game submarine SS13 mix catastrophe/fuckup siumulator with monstruous monster ?

Barotrauma. Not the most complex game though, in its current state it's easy to master all the roles. Compared to SS13 it's basically pong.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2016, 01:42:31 pm »

Try the Silent Hunter series. Manual computation of heading, bearing and torpedo attacks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4