Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl 0.19 tournament: get on a Bay12 team!  (Read 23582 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl 0.19 tournament: get on a Bay12 team!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 04:17:49 pm »

Isn't the beginners team usually called the Nobles?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 04:35:21 pm »

*checks*

Yes, you're right! My bad. Cheesemakers must be the late comers when a new team is needed?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 04:40:52 pm »

Just watching the tourney this time, but I had to come in and say how happy I am to see that 6 years after running the first big tournament thread, these threads and the Bay12 presence in the Crawl tournaments is still going strong. So thanks Xgamer4 and everyone else who have been carrying the torch over the years!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 04:45:46 pm by LASD »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 07:52:28 pm »

Alright, count me in for Champions (I've had two 15-rune wins, although they were on easier melee characters, and I've gotten decently far with several other races and backgrounds). My username is TheDarkStar.
Tell me your secrets @_@
I've had trouble with the Tomb (After the Crypt I think, is the name) because of the scariness of my life getting red chunks of it in the Tiles-health bar :< That, or it's just me being scared about it because of that scary iterations of my life somehow decreasing and me having no idea why. It's usually when greater mummies (or their strange rolling scarabs who I can easily fight but they seem to damage me?) occur. [Can be seen in my only 5 rune win Formicid wherein I retreated after 1 greater mummy + hero greater mummy]

You're seeing pain and torment from mummy curses. If you have no rN, it chops off 50% of your HP, but decreases to 35% with rN+++. In general, you want to be really high level when you go for Tomb (high enough that you can take on a greater mummy or two without too much concern) and have rN++/+++ and lots of MR, along with scrolls of holy word/a holy weapon if you can. In past 15-rune runs I've done, I've done the sequence Lair -> Orc -> Snake/Spider rune -> Vault1-4 -> clear depths -> V:5 -> Shoals/Swamp -> Elf + Vestibule -> abandon Oka for TSO unless I'm a demonspawn -> Abyss for piety before even considering doing Tomb. Tomb is nice because you don't need a wide range of resistances, but torment gets annoying. Basically just stairdance wherever possible, and if you can't stairdance lure individual enemies away (and teleport/use Shatter to skip going back up to Tomb:1 for the second part).

iirc I had a run where I did Gehenna before Tomb because it was easier to deal with.

Usually I do Partial[13-14 floors] Zig>Pan>Tomb>Hell. I think panlords might have been buffed, so that would be a bit harder now, but Tomb is still quite difficult.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 08:00:46 pm »

Well... uh... this is awkward. I meant to start a game on Berotato's experimental Thorn God server while we're still organizing teams, realized I accidentally picked .19 tournament, figured I'd just run with it for practice... and pulled off a 15-rune win that's currently the high score.

Does that run still count for the team, even if it was finished before joining? ><

Edit: Welcome to the rules for the 0.19 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup Tournament, running from 20:00 UTC Friday 4 Nov to 20:00 UTC Sunday 20 Nov.  *facepalm*

And since we're discussing it, I did Lair>Spider>Swamp>Orc>Vaults>Elf>Slime>Depths>Crypt>Tomb>Abyss>Pan*5>Tar>Dis>Geh>Coc>Zot>Out.

Forgot to sneak in a Zig dive, though I doubt I could've finished it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:16:32 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 09:14:39 pm »

I'd like to join - probably in one of the intermediate groups, since although I tend to pick up a bunch of runes, I haven't actually won a game since version 12.1.

Username is AlStar.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 10:28:00 pm »

Alright, count me in for Champions (I've had two 15-rune wins, although they were on easier melee characters, and I've gotten decently far with several other races and backgrounds). My username is TheDarkStar.
Tell me your secrets @_@
I've had trouble with the Tomb (After the Crypt I think, is the name) because of the scariness of my life getting red chunks of it in the Tiles-health bar :< That, or it's just me being scared about it because of that scary iterations of my life somehow decreasing and me having no idea why. It's usually when greater mummies (or their strange rolling scarabs who I can easily fight but they seem to damage me?) occur. [Can be seen in my only 5 rune win Formicid wherein I retreated after 1 greater mummy + hero greater mummy]

You're seeing pain and torment from mummy curses. If you have no rN, it chops off 50% of your HP, but decreases to 35% with rN+++. In general, you want to be really high level when you go for Tomb (high enough that you can take on a greater mummy or two without too much concern) and have rN++/+++ and lots of MR, along with scrolls of holy word/a holy weapon if you can. In past 15-rune runs I've done, I've done the sequence Lair -> Orc -> Snake/Spider rune -> Vault1-4 -> clear depths -> V:5 -> Shoals/Swamp -> Elf + Vestibule -> abandon Oka for TSO unless I'm a demonspawn -> Abyss for piety before even considering doing Tomb. Tomb is nice because you don't need a wide range of resistances, but torment gets annoying. Basically just stairdance wherever possible, and if you can't stairdance lure individual enemies away (and teleport/use Shatter to skip going back up to Tomb:1 for the second part).

iirc I had a run where I did Gehenna before Tomb because it was easier to deal with.

Usually I do Partial[13-14 floors] Zig>Pan>Tomb>Hell. I think panlords might have been buffed, so that would be a bit harder now, but Tomb is still quite difficult.

The exact order I do stuff in varies a bit. If I happen to have rN+++ and rF+++ early enough, I'll go straight for Gehenna because with resistances and a large enough assortment of buffs it's not that hard. Tartarus isn't especially difficult, either, but that's because there's only one important resistance. Pan is harder because you need to have all the buffs for each Pan Lord on hand before you go in and because it's possible to be insta-killed by smiting.

Cocytus, on the other hand, is just annoying. Between smiting ice demons, deep water everywhere, and Antaeus, I always have to be careful even with rC+++. And Dis is the hardest non-zig area in the game because you need some of every resistance and everything does tons of damage. I always save these two for last.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 04:24:20 am »

Well... uh... this is awkward. I meant to start a game on Berotato's experimental Thorn God server while we're still organizing teams, realized I accidentally picked .19 tournament, figured I'd just run with it for practice... and pulled off a 15-rune win that's currently the high score.

Does that run still count for the team, even if it was finished before joining? ><

Edit: Welcome to the rules for the 0.19 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup Tournament, running from 20:00 UTC Friday 4 Nov to 20:00 UTC Sunday 20 Nov.  *facepalm*

And since we're discussing it, I did Lair>Spider>Swamp>Orc>Vaults>Elf>Slime>Depths>Crypt>Tomb>Abyss>Pan*5>Tar>Dis>Geh>Coc>Zot>Out.

Forgot to sneak in a Zig dive, though I doubt I could've finished it.
DO IT AGAIN :D
But other than my capitalizations, cheers and congrats! :)
[...]

Umpf :/ At that time I was under TSO and full rN...hence why I panicked when I kept seeing those large chunks getting lopped off without any noticeable attack (I had figured it was due to the scarab beetles and went 'Woah what!? I have high AC!')

Also I don't think I can stairdance on the first floor of the Tomb when it's statically structured to be a giant rectangle with one entrance, so I had a long way to run. :P

Edit: Squeeze me into the Miners if able (or put me anywhere higher if one thinks I'm capable of that ._.), I don't think the 5-man Noble team will fill in 4 days unless there's a lot more activity.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:27:26 am by Tiruin »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 05:24:01 am »

(or put me anywhere higher if one thinks I'm capable of that ._.)
Considering you've made it to the Crypt and Tomb, I'd honestly say you're past intermediate. Hell, my record is a mere two runes with easymode characters yet I'm 'Advanced' by the OP definition.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 05:44:13 am »

[...]

Umpf :/ At that time I was under TSO and full rN...hence why I panicked when I kept seeing those large chunks getting lopped off without any noticeable attack (I had figured it was due to the scarab beetles and went 'Woah what!? I have high AC!')

Also I don't think I can stairdance on the first floor of the Tomb when it's statically structured to be a giant rectangle with one entrance, so I had a long way to run. :P
[/quote]

The scarab beetles are actually surprisingly dangerous, but they're more of a support/grinding kind of danger. I typically use the walls/corner/statues and just push my way through. The upshot to the layout of the Tomb is that you have a pretty good chance of landing somewhere safe, if you already cleared the outer area.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 08:16:28 am »

(or put me anywhere higher if one thinks I'm capable of that ._.)
Considering you've made it to the Crypt and Tomb, I'd honestly say you're past intermediate. Hell, my record is a mere two runes with easymode characters yet I'm 'Advanced' by the OP definition.
HMM :I
* Tiruin trusts her scandinavian buddy and wishes IcyTea to place her where he thinks she can do best.
Or anyone else for that matter to suggest where I can go. :P
The scarab beetles are actually surprisingly dangerous, but they're more of a support/grinding kind of danger. I typically use the walls/corner/statues and just push my way through. The upshot to the layout of the Tomb is that you have a pretty good chance of landing somewhere safe, if you already cleared the outer area.
I haven't noticed ._. Being a ****** of TSO + heavy armored formicid doesn't help me differentiate if the source of damage is "THat greater mummy spawning those scarabs and just standing there and being grumpy at you (lowering your health like that)' or 'those rolling scarabs that bump you and go rawr'.

Still, will try the Tomb later on with a non-Good God (I'm going to ♥ you tons, Hepl.) Thanks a ton dudes :)

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 10:08:00 am »

Partial team update... but there's been a lot of interest in Blacksmiths and we can't fit all of you.

IcyTeam31, Not good with names, Empty, vogonpoet, AlStar, and Aoi:

One of you is gonna have to shift teams... There's plenty of room available on the Champions, though if we're making a serious attempt at beating top 7, I don't want to just assign someone there. Otherwise, someone can shift down and keep Tiruin company.

Arcvasti, Aelig, TheDarkStar: Anyone want to be captain?

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2016, 10:31:50 am »

*if* the big players don't show, I don't mind being bumped up (or indeed down), but its still early days - we have until Friday 11, a whole extra week, to finalise the clans, and we normally get a fair few extra playas once the tourney begins.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2016, 10:33:53 am »

Yeah, we'll have more participants. I'm not too worried about that. The only reason I mentioned anything is because we now have 7 people (including me) signed up for a 6 person team.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2016, 10:49:05 am »

I was the least scoring player of the Blacksmiths in the 0.18 tourney. I guess I wouldn't mind being bumped down to the Miners. I could captain it if nobody else wants to.

E: also, my Crawl username is "IcyTea" not "IcyTea31". Best fix that early so there won't be problems 1 hour before deadline.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 10:54:05 am by IcyTea31 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18