Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Dead Thread  (Read 15290 times)

RattyB

• Bay Watcher
  • Help.
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress
Re: Beginner's Mafia LXI *Replacement sign-up open!
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2017, 07:23:08 am »

They technically van, but I would give the noobs a higher chance of receiving the special roles. They are guaranteed town tho.
Good day to you, sir!

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2017, 07:56:02 am »

I'm unfamiliar with site mechanics; what exactly is going on with Neutralforce?

They technically van, but I would give the noobs a higher chance of receiving the special roles. They are guaranteed town tho.
Doesn't that make the setup rather strongly townsided (extremely strongly in the 2 mafia 2 town power roles case)?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2017, 08:18:24 am »

It is certainly unusual on b12 to have confirmed town.
One wheel short of a wagon

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2017, 11:03:54 am »

Well, this certainly won't be an ordinary beginner's mafia. What with the setup deviation and confirmed town and all.

Spoiler: it's never been like that before.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2017, 01:04:09 pm »

I'm alive.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2017, 01:42:25 pm »

....Can we please run the Beginner's Mafia like a Beginner's Mafia and not like any other kind of Mafia?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2017, 01:27:03 am »

It is certainly unusual on b12 to have confirmed town.
Essentially only in very rare games has it ever been :P

ESPECIALLY IN BEGINNER'S MAFIA. 'Confirmed' anything teaches a lot less than actually making equality of random alignment--especially if putting the ICs into that note.

Please, GM, reconsider making anything 'confirmed'; I had initially thought that the confirmed town IC was more a slip of thought there. :O But please run it as is. It's a setup that has been thought out thoroughly, in the least towards teaching in a forum-based setting.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2017, 11:32:48 pm »

I'd argue that the precise setup of a beginner's mafia probably doesn't matter a ton, as much of the point is just getting people to stumble through their first (or second, or third, or...) game in a relatively productive fashion.

That said, I'd also argue against confirmed ICs because it makes the ICs both relatively noninteractive and tempting parrot targets: It's hard enough questioning an Officially Better Than You Player as is without making them An Unquestioned Paragon Of Virtue as well. It is similarly tempting to follow the lead of ICs as is, without making any of their suspicions or accusations really august and pristine.

I'm unfamiliar with site mechanics; what exactly is going on with Neutralforce?
If you mean how there's a post by him but his name lacks a link and lists him as a Guest, I believe that happens when an account is entirely deleted rather than just banned. Since Toady sometimes does that with simple spam accounts or the like (or in this case, new accounts from previously banned individuals), you occasionally get odd relics like that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2017, 02:36:11 am »

I'd argue that the precise setup of a beginner's mafia probably doesn't matter a ton
I would go so far as to say that the setup of the game is virtually irrelevant, so long as there is a reason for the new players to want to appear town.

In the case of clear vs. unclear IC's, I would think that it doesn't matter but if it came down to a vote I would support unclear IC's for the sake of normalizing the situation for IC's steeped in B12 meta.

Spoiler: IC Handling in BM LX (click to show/hide)

But please run it as is. It's a setup that has been thought out thoroughly, in the least towards teaching in a forum-based setting.
This game was never and is not currently listed as being in the BM format used in the previous few games.

@RattyB you will indeed need to strike -Neutral Force- off of your list of players.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2017, 02:38:08 am »

It's literally in the title.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2017, 02:39:59 am »

It's literally in the title.
What is, exactly?

"Beginner's Mafia", which has been associated with a number of formats over the years?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2017, 02:40:37 am »

Over the years?  Dude.  What.
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2017, 02:44:32 am »

Also, it's in the games list under Beginner's Mafia according to Meph.  So yes, it is Beginner's Mafia, and it should use the Bay12 format for it.

Beginner's Mafia:
  • Beginner's Mafia LXI
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 02:46:24 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

doll

• Bay Watcher
  • hollow inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2017, 04:07:17 am »

TheBiggerFish The Beginner's Mafia is not a game with a specific setup, and the particular setup I've assumed you are referring to is a relatively new creation; in any case
it is not "the Bay12 format for (the Beginner's Mafia)".

Regardless, we're still waiting for Moony and Aurnyx or replacement's therefor.

RattyB please message Moony and Aurnyx if you have not already done so

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2017, 04:49:08 am »

Doll: That is correct, TBF is referring to the rough general setup used in BMs on bay12, which have shown some variation but NO confirmed town thus far. It is considered by most older players to be a good setup for teaching the inexperienced while still giving an enjoyable game.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8