Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weaponry & armory?  (Read 1364 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weaponry & armory?
« on: October 27, 2016, 01:25:10 am »

I've got a magma weaponry and an armory, the armory lets me upgrade plate gauntlets but the rest is red and all is red at the weaponry even though i've got a lot of menacing spikes i want to fix.
What am i missing? searching the forum says i need a boulder but that i have plenty off. Is it a special type or do i need to enable economic stones in the stocks menu?

Also, does anyone know how effective mauls are or should i just make another two handed weapon?
Third, considering that my civillians ragerush every wild animal in sight I am considering giving them mithril uniforms but I am unsure on what to arm them with. train them as wrestlers? give them daggers or something else?

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponry & armory?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 01:11:40 pm »

If you follow the references given at the bottom of the Wiki pages on Weapons and Armor, there are links to Bay 12 forum  !!!Science!!!  where folks have determined the effectiveness of various weapons against various armors, varying all the materials.  The manual gives a graphic comparison of Masterwork mod two-hand weapons but you’ll still need to search the Raws for each one to compare damage potential.  In the Wiki Masterwork page under Metals, there’s the chart Smake put together for the unique alloys.  That page is now a bit dated but still very useful when comparing density, impact yield/fracture and the like. 

Tl;dr version: daggers are for little folk.  It takes a large and strong dwarf to handle a maul well.  A ☼steel maul☼ is amazing for pounding undead without leaving parts.  A ☼welded wolfrum☼ or volcanic maul with adamantine rune is one reason weapon metals were nerfed back.  Mithril should be much harder to obtain; a dorf wearing multiple mithril cloaks over plate armor is nearly invincible.    Most players in previous releases didn’t bother with the Tanner shop but tough, studded lamellar leather was lightweight, available early and certainly good enough until invaders came with steel weapons; I hope it comes back someday in a new release.  But just for bum rushing wild (non-Giant) animals, any cloak and any weapon is likely good enough.   
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 01:15:52 pm »

1. Burrows. Check if there are any, and if the materials and workshops are in different burrows.
2. two-handed edged weapons are the best, swords or axes.
3. Picks. Its always good to have civilian miners running around. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 01:18:17 pm »

When I go to add an improve menacing spike job at the armory (All my spikes are already in use) it says I need an "unimproved spear" as the only reagent for the reaction. Could it be a burrow issues, i.e. the workshop is in an item limiting burrow (even an unactivated CivAlert burrow can count) but the needed items are not in the burrow?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Meph!

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 01:50:49 pm »

The workshops was outside the only burrow i had, which covers the whole fort except for the newly added workshops.
I tried extending the burrow to cover the workshop and then i deleted the burrow, but to no avail.
I had an armor pile feeding the armory with plate gauntlets, when i removed the link the workshop no longer had the option available.

Hm. Demolishing and rebuilding seems to have helped.

On armors: I dislike the layering and maximizing armors so I only let them have what seems reasonable. A mithril plate armor only weighs 5 urists but my sense of reason refuses to rationalize the everyday life of a whole fort running around in plate armor. Chain mail i can kinda accept, if really wealthy, but not plate.

Also, I was one of the players that did bother with lamellar armor for my peasants in the early version :D

The Mauls was mostly so i do not have to clean up as many body parts, and the image was kinda pleasing.

Thanks for the assist. Most of the new stuff is had to find what they actually do. Some can be found in patch notes but others are just mentioned with a very brief description in the main mod thread.