Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TV Card (DTT) whit support for decryption?  (Read 1188 times)

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TV Card (DTT) whit support for decryption?
« on: October 25, 2016, 02:46:15 pm »

Hello, got some annoyances whit TV card at current time. Signal type DVB-T / digital terrestrial television network (DTT) . My signal provider is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RiksTV if thats of any use.
Because all the channels I wanted got behind the bloody encryption/decoder boxes, my old card and Windows mediacenter (Win7) can only get the one un-encrypted channel.
Any here that can recommend a TV card, that supports decryption of signal, I have the card for decoding, a cam-module if needed. found a picture of the card and module.

Id prefer to use Mediacenter on Win7 64bits, on my clunker machine to record, but can use another program as long as I can view the recorded programs at either My PC, a PS4 and/or Android tablet

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: TV Card (DTT) whit support for decryption?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 03:12:07 pm »

No. Even if you found a box or dongle that could do it, the encryption is a digital restriction and protection mechanism. Circumvention is a violation of the DMCA, and legal decryption is highly unlikely, because settop box rental fees are part of the cable cartel's business model. They are very unlikely to provision your device upstream as a consequence.

The FCC very much wants to open up the market to allow 3rd party competition for the settop box product space, but the cable industry has acted like the FCC has just invoked prima nocta at the very idea of the matter.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 03:25:57 pm »

forgot to mention, I have a http://www.hauppauge.com.sg/site/products/data_ci.html thats suposed to do decoding, but it do not work on win64bit, and I had trouble whit getting it working even on 32bit, especially as the hauppauge software did not even get any signals even the un-encrypted ones..

PS.
European Not American, so, the Decrytion would be legal.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 03:34:15 pm »

Fascinating.

I suggest using it with a virtual machine with USB pass through. VMware player (the free version) supports that feature. That would let you use the outdated/out of support OS configuration the device requires. It needs windows media center to operate, which was removed in win 7.

You can easily run a 32bit winxp guest in VMware to do the decoding. That is a supported OS for that product.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 03:49:22 pm »

Have a clunker PC Frankensteined from old components running Win7, Had it running 32bit while trying to get the CI module working, unfortunately it was not decently supported by Hauppauge, so it did not really work. even whit driver updates, software updates, registry editing and a reinstall of OS or two..

So currently looking for some bit more up to date, and working solution.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 03:52:32 pm »

Try running it with Linux.  Let me see if it is supported.

No. Device does not currently have a video for Linux capture driver.

I will look for one that does.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 03:56:22 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:58:12 pm »

Linux TV wiki had the following list of supported devices.

https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices

A supported device would work with any number of tools for Linux, and or, Linux based htpc/dvr solutions, like KODI or MythTV.

Being supported by Linux means the internal workings of the device is known well enough for third party Foss developers to create drivers.

Sometimes they make windows drivers as well.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 04:04:10 pm by wierd »

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 04:33:37 pm »

I do have to thank you for your help, especially since I forget to write so much. The USB device I linked is a "expansion" for the PCI card in the PC. (Although plugged into USB and not the card).

The USB devices on your link, did not really seam to have a way to connect the card needed to decode signals. I migth be missing something in the text, the one whit decoder in text, the link went to a domain parking site, but ill examine the site a bit further.

(Slots avavible in machine I hope to put it in, PCI, PCIe 2.0 x1 PCIe 2.0 x16 and USB2).

Sigh, Why cant things like this be easy like find card, check card for option you need, buy card, install card (physicaly), install drivers, and it works..

*edit
Found something possibly promising.. https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB_Conditional_Access_Modules seems to be what I might be looking for.

*edit 2
Some more searching on the products in the last list lead me to http://www.technotrend.eu/2987/TT-connect_CT2-4650_CI.html I should look for a PCIe one, but atleast I have a option now. Much better than when I started.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 05:35:41 pm by Mokkun »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 11:22:30 pm »

Huh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 04:57:40 am »

Huh.
Quick summary, I needed a Device/Card for my PC to record encoded TV signals.
2. Got exelent help even if I messed up my description by wierd
3. Thru the site he linked to, I found a Device that should work, and I am checking if there is also a PCIe version of the device to have less of a mess behind the machine.

Hope that cleared it up.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 07:13:53 am »

There's also the Kodi box if you want to switch to streaming video online instead of using TV signal, though be careful of how you load it, as the EU has taken steps to limit pirating with the software.