Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The dwarven diet  (Read 3794 times)

Elitay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The dwarven diet
« on: June 10, 2008, 11:22:00 am »

My dwarves live off of sunshine and sugar. They seem to enjoy it. What are you guys feeding your dwarves?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: The dwarven diet
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 11:30:00 am »

Well, before it was an all-mushroom diet. Now looking for more of a challenge from my crops, I plant a mildly successful sugar industry.

Of course, this leaves biscuits made entirely made of sugar. Now both booze AND sugar drive these guys to do what they do for months, till they fall down into a comma-like state for weeks on end.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:38:00 am »

In the beginning it's usually just Plump Helmets, but as soon as my crafters get enough experience to create nice crafts my dwarves get everything they want from the caravans. In my current fortress i maximize my wishes for fish, meat and booze with the liaisons. Usually it takes no more than 3-4 bins full of crafts to buy out the entire caravans supply of food.

Elitay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:42:00 am »

Ah, well. It's always Plumps at first. I'm thinking of feeding my commoners prickle berries and sewer brew.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:48:00 am »

Just mushrooms for my dwarves, and whatever we get after we raid the eleven caravan is bonus. And in some cases, the human caravan too.

Stormlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »

I run a heavy food industry, so they get whatever they want. Masterful gorrilla meat stew, dwarven syrup roasts, Quarry bush leaves, whatever. I import a variety of ingredients from the caravan to add variety. Currently experimenting to see if I can make some syrup/cheese roasts, should be worth an insane amount of monies if my calculations are right.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

I usually only grow cave wheat and sweet pods so my dwarves eat a lot of flour and syrup biscuits except when then they get raided by mandrills or the caravan comes with exotic meats.

Occasionally I'll something different like a ranching fort with no farms, just for a change of pace.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

My dwarves usually get a varied diet made up of whatever random meats, drinks, powders and cheeses the traders bring.

I very rarely have to actually produce my own food anymore, even without ordering any the caravans bring enough for 50+ dwarves every year.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »

The wonderful purple shrooms and wine from aforementioned shrooms, plus whatever I decide to buy from the caravan with narrow thongs and whatnot.

And the occasional meat from animals used as target practice for my ballista (as a side note, it's amazing how 1 wooden ballista bolt can divide a cat into 6 individual pieces.)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ubersoldat:
<STRONG>And the occasional meat from animals used as target practice for my ballista (as a side note, it's amazing how 1 wooden ballista bolt can divide a cat into 6 individual pieces.)</STRONG>

Not really. Remember, "Ballasta" is the Dwarven word word for "Death Ray". Or just remember that you're shooting the cat with a friggin' log.

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

Most of my dwarves (In my above-ground fortress) just eat wild strawberries and strawberry wine. Wow, such variety...

Elitay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 02:57:00 pm »

Yeah. High quality food is the only thing keeping my fortress alive. A bronze colossus just came and smashed through my artifact weapon traps before annihilating half my fortress. Everyone is still ecstatic. Good booze, sweet food and a gigantic dining room are all my little gluttons need in life.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »

I'm currently trying to deal with an excess of food, and not enough booze (between barrel shortages and the wrong mix of available materials).  I need to look into fine tuning my agriculture more, therefore.  Maybe take out the quarry bushes and replace them with something brewable.  Maybe add another still by the stockpiles.  Maybe see if I can specifically assign legendary planters to the fields with brewables.

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »

I actually do alot of above ground farming, so my dwarves eat plenty of prickle berries, ratweed and such forth.  We of course drink the same.

Right now I've started allowing my chefs to cook with seeds since I've been getting way too many of them (The occasional sewer brew buscuits can feed way too many dwarves.)

Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »

You know how most people have a catsplosion?

Well I get donkeysplosions.

So... an abundance of healthy donkey meat.

And I set my fields up to have one food field and one booze field.

Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo
Pages: [1] 2 3