Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: [IC] Lairds of Orren  (Read 7074 times)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] Lairds of Orren
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2016, 01:16:51 pm »

"I'm not intending on touching it. I am merely examining it."
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2016, 01:29:49 pm »

"I see you reaching for the stiletto. You might trigger whatever this thing is by moving or trying to take the stiletto. We should leave it as we found it until we get someone who knows what they're doing to look at it."
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2016, 03:59:16 pm »

"Very well, I won't touch it. That won't stop me from taking a look at the body."
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2016, 04:16:20 pm »

"By all means, look. Just don't touch it. I'll keep an eye out to make sure nothing sneaks up on us."

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2016, 05:04:38 pm »

"Sounds like a plan to me."

Examine the corpse further, being careful not to touch it.

Glory to United Forenia!

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2016, 05:38:23 pm »

Dead Drop
Tyr, Rathgar

A close examination of the corpse verifies the brutality of this man's death. Where flesh is not decomposed, it is torn or burned. There are carvings too, but it is unclear whether they were inflicted before or after death. The runes are nothing you are familiar with, perhaps magical. Besides the chest and one loose arm, the body is swaddled in thick fur hide, preventing any further examination. The hide is not burned, so you can assume he was wrapped up after death. Someone went out of their way to lodge him between these fallen trees.

As for the stiletto, it appears completely unsuited to combat, but its craft is beyond masterful. A sheen of yellow light dances off its surface, revealing a pristine blade of warped glass.

Just before you finish examining the body, your keen eye picks up one minor detail. Beneath the head, you notice a slight gleam. Upon further investigation, you find a few shards of broken glass lodged beneath one of the fallen trees. You recognize the glass. It's the same type as the glass containers you found in the shack. A badly faded label remains in the debris.

Rathgar, meanwhile, searches the immediate area for any clues. Unfortunately, the body is the only sign of any activity. Whoever brought it here did so quickly and discreetly. The tracks continue into a small creek, making it near impossible to follow them any further.

Middle Path
Nix

Heading down the path, the subtle sounds of human activity intensify until Nix reaches a wooden archway leading into a clearing. Small, mundane runes line the fine woodwork, and beyond the threshold you see a small lumber camp occupied by burly rough folk. They work timber with rough tools, talking among themselves in a tongue close to your own, their words too faint to decipher.

Beyond the camp, you identify, at last, the village, composed of humble homes, and full of busy wild folk living their lives behind the safety of a palisade wall. One structure stands out from the rest. A soaring tower of lumber, high above the village and the forest canopy. It ascends, unassuming, into the sky, until it culminates into a wide basin. The tower appears relatively new, and even now you see small figures finishing the construction.

Shrine Junction
Kat

Klanik continues his work, dismissing Kat’s remark with silence for a time. After he collects what he’s after, the magician responds in a cold tone. “It’s only the death knell of some used incantation. The spell, like all men, refuses the embrace of death.” The apprentice and bodyguard are silent, but Pesc lets out a short, dismissive laugh.

“Let’s not be so dire yet, yeah? We’ve still got a job ahead of us.” These words do little to settle the dismal air surrounding the wayshrine, to Pesc’s chagrin. Visibly annoyed, the veteran leaves the shrine and idles near the fork in the path. Jureel takes her side by the magician, but Vernon pulls Kat aside.

Now that you have a closer look at the man, you can see that he, like his master, is pale with some affliction. Sweat beads on his brow, and his words slur ever so slightly. “Kat, that is your name, yes? Please, don’t be too alarmed, but I fear the potent magics of this forest are a bit much for Klanik. It isn’t my place to say… Well, perhaps I’m not quite myself… I mean to say, be careful. He has some interest in you, for reasons he’s kept from me. I’ve never thought him dangerous, but this air is intoxicating.” His eyes dart over to Klanik, then downwards.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2016, 05:46:55 pm »

Head back to the main group of lairds, inform them of the village just ahead.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2016, 05:50:23 pm »

She nods, wondering what strange affliction has come over the group.

"All men are dangerous, Sira Vernon. I know that better then anyone...

We should get moving, away from this cursed place-it seems to be causing a certain discord among us, merely standing here. I will keep your words close to my heart, of course, and my eyes open."
She said kindly, though her own demeanor was pale and cold.

Action: She goes to follow Pesc down the road.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2016, 06:17:43 pm »

"That glass matches the bottles I found in the shack. This man may have been the one who made those mysterious potions. Anyway, let's head back and report this."

Glory to United Forenia!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2016, 06:44:33 pm »

"And the trail goes cold at a small stream further up. No telling how far the person could have gotten in the river before getting out." Rathgar replies before heading back to the main force of laird and reporting what they saw.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2016, 07:33:03 pm »

Shrine Junction
Kat, Tyr, Rathgar, Nix

Pesc doesn't move far, Kat would find. He simply stares down the roads, an annoyed look on his face. "I never liked staying still, let's hope the others return soon." And soon they would.

Tyr and Rathgar are the first to come back, reporting news of the shack and the body. Unsurprisingly, this piques Klanik's interest, who volunteers his group to investigate. "Now unctions... they are something I'm finely in tune with." Pesc requests they stay until Nix returns with news, but the magician insists that wherever they go, he could intuit without much trouble. So Klanik, Vernon, and Jureel separate from the main group, leaving Pesc with mixed feelings.

Not long after, Nix would arrive with news of the village, and of the brooch he found.  Pesc seems disturbed by the news, but insists they move out at once, and 'leave behind this cramped trail.' Nix leads the way, along with Pesc, with the others trailing behind. The trek down the path is somewhat slower than anticipated, and the sky begins to fade to an orange glimmer. When the group happens upon the pile left by the creature Nix encountered, they find it scattered along the trail. The old food was picked clean, and some of the metal objects were gone.

Village Path
Kat, Tyr, Rathgar, Nix

Just when Rathgar identifies strange tracks in the dirt, a terrible creature with a long, scaled face, standing on four squat legs appears out of thin air. One of its claws thrusts a twisted knife towards Nix, but Pesc quickly tackles the thing to the ground.

From the trees, the group could hear a guttural call, and soon they were beset by several of the beasts. They scuttled close to the ground until in range, then lunged forward with makeshift spears and jagged teeth, their long bodies affording them some reach. Kat, Tyr, and Rathgar were surrounded by four of them, each alternating between timid lunges and terrible barks. Nix and Pesc were separated from the others, contending with two of the beasts. Pesc grappled with one on the ground, while another closed in on Nix from behind.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2016, 08:06:29 pm »

((So, do we have any weapons or armor, or are we barehanded?))

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2016, 08:20:46 pm »

Tyr grabs a knife, takes aim, and throws it at one of the creatures. He aims for the head, preferably in the eye.

Glory to United Forenia!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2016, 08:30:06 pm »

((So, do we have any weapons or armor, or are we barehanded?))

((OOC: Maybe we have to figure it out ourselves!))

Kat put the meaty Rathgar and the skinny Tyr between herself, and the monster men (Seems she didn't avoid them after all), and reached for the junk-crossbow that was slung on her hip. It was a relatively light weapon, made of cord-wood and scrap wires, fitted with flattened iron bolts, and turned with a hand-crank, designed for speed and not power. It fit her relatively lean built body well. She also had her own knife, as well a bag of javelins, but aside from that she was lightly armored. Her own combat style was based on being fast, and not being in range of larger, stronger foes.

She didn't why these creatures were attacking them, and really didn't care. Kat decided to take charge, her clear voice ringing out in commanding tones.

"Strike together, and take the beasts down! Look how much they fear us!

Spill their cursed blood upon the ground-Rend for the Old Gods!"
She cried, the traditional battle cry of her own tribe.

Action: Kat draws her light crossbow, and fires at the closest creature, aiming for their chest. She tries to keep behind the meatier members of the group.

Also, use my Bardly powers of inspiration to rally the group!

« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:33:56 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2016, 08:40:25 pm »

"Stay behind me and they won't reach you." Rathgar says to his comrades as he looks at the beasts attacking them. He lets loose with a loud roar to try and intimidate the beasts before taking the machete-like blade from his hip. This blade was a gift from his father when he left on his own. While it was meant for cutting through dense foliage, he found it cut through flesh just as well. He uses his blade to attack any of the beasts in his reach, or otherwise slap their spears away. If he gets the opportunity, he'll rip one of the spears from a beast and use it against them.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:32:27 am by Beirus »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11