Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 280

Author Topic: Twilight Academy: Resurgence (School Thread - IC) - Welcome to Class  (Read 124136 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight Academy: Resurgence (School Thread - IC) - Welcome to Class
« Reply #2850 on: November 01, 2016, 08:44:39 pm »

"There do not exist any magical effects that, by themselves, or in conjunction with each other, are capable of causing a paradox?

If something is said to be immovable, and another is said to be unstoppable, then that implies that one or both isn't really what they are said to be, because otherwise there'd be a contradiction?

And that even if our definitions of our powers seem to contradict, it is only because the definitions we give them don't necessarily reflect their true natures, which can never actually come into conflict?"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:50:16 pm by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: November 01, 2016, 08:45:46 pm »

"Dimension. Is that what they call the place you live?"

Alex whispers to Relspi.

"Don't worry about it, I'll explain later if you like."
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: November 01, 2016, 08:51:43 pm »

Tsakaka taps her un-flipped piece of paper, still listening intently.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: November 01, 2016, 09:01:19 pm »

Mr. T. makes a hand gesture that indicates "mostly."

"In that specific example, the immovable object and the unstoppable force - if they were truly what they were said to be - would simply not interact with each other at all. The force would remain unstopped, the object unmoved. This is why I am unhappy with how I have worded the second law. However, be that as it may, you are close to correct. Magic may break many perceived laws of reality - that matter cannot be created or destroyed, that energy in a closed system cannot increase - but even magic cannot create a true paradox. Take, for example, a spell that decreases the magical power of whomever it affects by fifty "points" until the spell is cancelled. The caster of that spell has sixty points, and it takes thirty for them to sustain it... That person could not use such an ability on themselves."

He stops walking back and forth and instead stands by the board once more.

"This is probably the most bland of the laws, but it is important to remember that if you were ever to use a spell in a way that made it internally conflicting, it would simply fail. Are there questions?"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:04:28 pm by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: November 01, 2016, 09:38:16 pm »

Anna takes some more notes.

"So...Exactly how the physics-based construction would resolve itself...

Are you sure magic isn't another fundamental force?  It sounds like it is...

Also, wouldn't it be that a closed system's energy has just changed state from magical to thermal or electromagnetic?

Um.  Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the caster would immediately lose their spell as it leeched their magic below the point needed to sustain, versus saying it couldn't take effect at all?  Because it obviously could, for at the moment in which it is cast, the caster has sixty 'points' and can cast it, and then loses 50 from their cap, which renders them unable to maintain the spell.  But that doesn't make it impossible to cast in the first place.  Just stupid.  Wouldn't it?  I mean, you say it will fail, not refuse.

It's not paradoxical, simply a waste of time to try.

Again, you keep saying these things, and I cannot help but be convinced that magic is by necessity couched in the same things as the rest of reality is, because that's the hypothesis that makes the most sense as of yet and there has been no evidence presented to disprove it.

Okay, here's a paradox though:Could you go back in time and stop yourself from going back in time with magic?  Unless the universe doesn't give a shit for linearity of individual timelines, in which much more probable case, you already failed...

Uhhh...No, that's quantum physics, but it's still equally nonparadoxical because when you observe a thing that may or may not exist, it is either one or the other....Right?"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:58:22 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: November 01, 2016, 09:52:59 pm »

Tiana continues to write the law down.

Anthelia also writes, but she looks ever so bored.
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: November 01, 2016, 10:09:50 pm »

"Umm, pretty sure Magic just is a thing that both conforms and doesn't conform with regular physics."
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: November 01, 2016, 10:11:46 pm »

Isaac and Heather continue to write down notes on the lecture.

Jason half doodles, half takes notes, only really writing down the proper laws.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: November 01, 2016, 10:25:57 pm »

The door creaked open as Averly walked in, tossing his hallpass in the trash and casually walking in as his blue eyes glanced across the room with a friendly smile to the inhabitants.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2859 on: November 01, 2016, 10:36:25 pm »

Aurora looks like she may actually be in pain from attempting to follow Anna's questions.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: November 01, 2016, 10:56:49 pm »

Tsakaka pauses, and simply writes the simple version of the first two laws down.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: November 02, 2016, 03:31:15 am »

Averly might notice that his name was already ticked on the board to indicate attendence.

Mr. T. looks at Anna and shakes his head.

"The amount of time in which the spell might theoretically exist is positive zero, utterly infinitesimal. It is impossible to tell whether it has been cast or not because even the most sensitive of measuring devices or techniques cannot detect anything occurring. Thus, the distinction between a failed cast and a successful cast that lasts for the smallest length of time it is possible for something to ever exist for is not made, and we say that it is impossible. It is potentially feasible that one day something shall be discovered that will alter this law, maybe it will even be you that discovers it? But, no such thing has happened yet. As to your attempts to equate magic and physics, you will quickly find that they do not work. At the utmost, you might say that magic supersedes physics. You are stretching physics to include Magic, rather than placing Physics as a derivation of magic. Much like how Chemistry is a derivation of Physics, and Biology is a derivation of Chemistry, Physics may be said to be a derivation of Magic and Mathematics, although that is likely far too complicated for a first year class. The answer to your question, as well, is that..." he grins, at least as much as a bird can grin "It depends on the magic."
The circle is complete.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: November 02, 2016, 03:53:46 am »

Imhotep has written both laws down, but avoided adding to the discussion.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: November 02, 2016, 04:15:24 am »

Anthelia has gone back to looking at her nails dismissively, although she glances at the board every once in a while.

Tiana is still writing down what is being said, but looks perplexed.
"Tsakaka, do you get what this guy is trying to say? Because personally, I don't got any idea of what Mr. T is trying to explain here."
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 05:02:09 am by wipeout1024 »
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: November 02, 2016, 04:59:08 am »

Veikko pauses writing for a moment and glances, ever so slightly at Tiana and then to Mister T. Seeing as the latter didn't care to reprimand her, he speaks:
"Magic fucks physics. And if a spell that's like a uh, 'buff', you know those bonuses from RPGs and stuff? If a spell's like that and it stops the very moment it starts, then it might as well be a failure since there'd be no difference between the two."
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 280