Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick questions about this mod from someone a bit confused and curious.  (Read 1007 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

So I've been digging into this mod a bit from the outside in, like poking through the manual and guides and messing around in adventure mode since I still find that fun to do. And I was gonna give running an actual orc fort a try, though I felt a bit confused at the embark screen seeming to limit items like seeds or alcohol to dwarf stuff. Is this as intended or have I somehow horribly broke things?

Also with the two versions of the mod being around, which is actually the most feature complete at this point? Legacy or the new one? I noticed Legacy seems to have more playable forts and such than the newer one.

Edit: also a silly tiny question/possible bug report? It seems like I can't disable naga through the launcher either. I was trying to cut down on civ bloat in worldgen and they didn't feel that interesting to me at the moment, though there's not much I can do about them if the checkbox doesn't seem to work?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 07:20:58 pm by Gunner-Chan »
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick questions about this mod from someone a bit confused and curious.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 08:05:08 pm »

Legacy has more modded features, but of course it lacks the features that have been included in the base game since version .34, like multi tile trees, locations, visitors, and needs.  I honestly think that the newer version has a more sensible mix of features. In the legacy version, dwarves have absolutely everything and the kitchen sink. Too much got thrown in. Things have been pared down in the newer version. This is less true regarding the other races, which were always more focused. Because of the way sieges and ambushes work now, they can no longer be scripted in because they don't just appear "out of the void." So, there is more combat in the earlier version. Personally, I find the latest version to be the most fun. You can still include enough warlike Fortress Defense races to get lots of sieges and ambushes, if you want.

I'm assuming you generated a new world after selecting orcs as a playable race in the launcher GUI. You won't be able to select orc civilizations without doing so. If you have more than once playable race selected in the GUI, you can select which race/civilization you want in the civ screen during embark. In the newer version, apparently, all races have access to all things, so you will find humans with plump helmets, and orcs with cavernkeets and the like. Not sure why that is.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 08:18:09 pm »

Hrm, well I did actually gen a whole new world for the fort I wanted to run. And I enabled just orcs as the only playable race for fort mode. But I only seem to be able to bring things like plump helmet spawn, pig tail and so on. Though I did notice I could bring fighting tomahawks and a few other things. But not really anything that seemed appropriate at least when it came to pets/seeds.

If I had to guess maybe they're not 100% appropriately set up yet? It persisted even after installing a new copy and generating a pocket world to test the embark screen with again. Still just dwarf plants/foods and I'd presume other things too.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 08:52:22 pm »

Yeah, it seems like the playable races all have access to dwarf stuff for some reason. You could turn off the "deeper dwarven domestication" mod to limit yourself to only vanilla domesticated animals. I'm also not sure what orcs are supposed to have access to in the way of starting equipment. So I can't say what is on purpose or a bug.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:00:35 pm »

Hm, well that might be it then. I guess Ill regen a world without the dwarven domestication mod at least so I can get other animals. I didn't even know that was on.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 09:05:03 pm »

Well you should be able to have regular animals besides the dwarven ones, at least I do as dwarves! Maybe orcs aren't supposed to come with animals at all, and them being there is a bug.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 09:15:02 pm »

Well, the reason I was confused to begin with was while reading through the guide and the manual it did mention other animals. Like aurochs, and the guide thing did mention some unique crops.

Then again maybe things are just more standardized since those were written. I really don't know since this is both my first time running a fort in this mod. It just seemed weird to me at first glance.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 09:22:05 am »

underground access to plants is by the civilization research,  Same for pets, weapons, armor, etc.  at year 1 all creature initial populations and knowledge are set in world gen, then the civs start learning.  In vanilla DF you can still get a dwarf civ that doesn't know how to make high boots or gauntlets, if you set the end year on world gen to less then 20 (I've ran a year 1 worldgen once where dwarfs didn't have access to anything but plump helmets and cave wheat, no steel, etc on embark... you can set what they are restricted to/from equipping, But you can't really stop them from learning the same plants and everything else.  Also all alcohol names remain so if it was called Dwarven X, it can't be demodded to say Orc X... although everyone figured out how to make the Craft(X) shop lol.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 01:04:34 pm »

underground access to plants is by the civilization research,  Same for pets, weapons, armor, etc.  at year 1 all creature initial populations and knowledge are set in world gen, then the civs start learning.  In vanilla DF you can still get a dwarf civ that doesn't know how to make high boots or gauntlets, if you set the end year on world gen to less then 20 (I've ran a year 1 worldgen once where dwarfs didn't have access to anything but plump helmets and cave wheat, no steel, etc on embark... you can set what they are restricted to/from equipping, But you can't really stop them from learning the same plants and everything else.  Also all alcohol names remain so if it was called Dwarven X, it can't be demodded to say Orc X... although everyone figured out how to make the Craft(X) shop lol.

This is only true for specific things that are coded that way in the raws, like high boots. You will never see a dwarven civilization with the ability to make loincloths. You will never see a dwarven civilization without the ability to make querns.

What you saw was a different issue. Your dwarven civilization spawned in a biome where the caverns were dead. They had no access to the plants. Because you stopped it before they built a second site, which likely would have been on a cavern with water level greater than zero (and thus, not dead) they had no plants.