don't
- 2 (28.6%)
have
- 1 (14.3%)
time
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: ☼Masterwork☼ human RUIN: Shielgates. Reclaiming experiments  (Read 21835 times)

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Masterwork☼ human city: Shielgates. Save up for grabs!
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2016, 01:19:35 pm »

Yea I didn't mean to rush you, just wanted to know if you were still alive since we had a bad start. I didn't want to wait a week to find out your computer burnt too  :D
Anyway! Save's up again for anyone to claim it. As usual if none comes forward in the next week I'll restart the rotation and you may all play another turn.
Soon a new piece to the story!

EDIT
I took a look at the save... I have just one question: did you do anything during your turn?  ???
Our problems with FPS just became SERIOUS 400+ livestock is absolute madness. We'll need a hero to put this fort back on track.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:22:14 pm by IlFedaykin »

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Masterwork☼ human city: Shielgates. WE NEED A FPS HERO!
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2016, 06:40:19 am »

Previously
This

Annals, v.68, year 167, Umbralveis

Death descends upon us. King Agra passed away. Four years He lasted against the growing storm. May He now finally rest in peace.
I was young last time someone tried to duel with Agra for His title. The first to come was an uruk. He was named Bagroqu, if memory doesn't betray me. The expression on his face a few seconds after the beginning of the fight can't be described with words... He had came from the other side of the world to slay our king, through perils unknown to mankind, and he didn't stand a chance. In the blink of an eye the ground under his feet melted, his blood boiled and spikes of iron pierced his heart. That was Agra king of mankind, ruler of Umbralveis.
This story has already been told, tho, and my duty is to write about the last hours of our lord.
This morning a mighty War Elephant came to town. He was wearing a shining armor and held a mace longer than a man. He undoubtedly came to increase his fame with an easy victory. He wasn't expecting resistance. He found some... many would say he found too much. Our king, even on the deathbed, managed to rip off one of his arms before giving in to pain. Ritas, this was the name of the elephant, didn't even make it to the throne to claim it. We saved his life and healed his wounds, as honor demands, and we'll kick him out as soon as the sun rises. We have a funeral to prepare.

Any feedback is appreciated, of course. If you find mistakes in my english please tell me, by the way, it's been a looong time since i last attended a class... i'm quite insecure about tenses
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:53:21 am by IlFedaykin »

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Masterwork☼ human city: Shielgates. Save up for grabs!
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2016, 01:12:05 pm »

Yea I didn't mean to rush you, just wanted to know if you were still alive since we had a bad start. I didn't want to wait a week to find out your computer burnt too  :D
Anyway! Save's up again for anyone to claim it. As usual if none comes forward in the next week I'll restart the rotation and you may all play another turn.
Soon a new piece to the story!

EDIT
I took a look at the save... I have just one question: did you do anything during your turn?  ???
Our problems with FPS just became SERIOUS 400+ livestock is absolute madness. We'll need a hero to put this fort back on track.

I butchered all the moleweasel kits and dewbeetle nymphs, mined out more bauxite to be made into blocks for the Z+2 3x3 bedrooms (added maybe 10-12 of those, since the fps was Sooooo Slooooow), and also added the Oubliette/Endless Passage.  So far, a single Ferric elf and a goblin has survived the plummet.  Interestingly, the elf killed off the goblin the first chance it got - it would be interesting if a Colosseum was built with cells operated remotely by levers, where the various captured prisoners could possibly fight each-other.  An exit lined with cage traps behind yet another remotely operated door would keep any from escaping.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2016, 01:23:55 pm »

An even safer practice would be to operate cages in a walled out environment with one bridge entrance and a moat. I guess it would be a little slow for tournaments, tho

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2016, 01:29:44 pm »

True.  Of course, you could also just have rooms with bridges that dumped possible combatants into a glass-block central cell, itself connected to the exit with an "endless passage" type of arrangement. drop them into a room filled with cage traps and hey presto! 

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2016, 04:15:13 am »

- The "Oubliette" is fairly large for said name. It's like a giant, compactor version of one.

Though, hm, any chance they could climb near honored dead? It seems probably not...

Is that a flooding trap I spy?

The endless passage is cruel - but there is a glimmer of hope. If they grab hold of the walls instead of dropping, they'll have a chance to live. I recall something like that has happened with NCommander's swim training.

Though, it functioning as arena is unexpected. Heh.

And heh, antsy IlFedaykin - to be fair, before you the last play was by Arcturus. I wouldn't mind if you played a week or two more.

- The party is never over?

That's insaner amount of animals. How about digging down to magma sea, breaching hell without seeing it via constructed downward ramp (and preventing demonic incress by floating vertical bars), and then dropping all the animals into eerie glowing pit?

(I mean, there's tossing a cage under raising bridge, but that lacks the pull of gravity so strong time crawls.)

Could also butcher them. That should  give something like 17 things per animal, so 6800 things - half of it food. Large, but manageable.

- Tense troubles? "That time was an uruk, Bagroqu." - Uruk o'clock? Maybe "That time it had been". "That time the challenger was" would be another option, expect the narration is already in past tense, and this is telling about an event that happened is over. Mind, English is third language for me.

Did you took someone adventuring to slay the king?

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2016, 04:22:17 am »

"At that time, it was an Uruk named..." would be the best English.  Nontheless, the way its written is still perfectly understandable.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2016, 06:00:12 am »

And heh, antsy IlFedaykin - to be fair, before you the last play was by Arcturus. I wouldn't mind if you played a week or two more

Yea I was just making sure he didn't fall in the oubliette himself, didn't want to rush anyone... As for the turns I'd prefer to keep them one year long in order to make the city as "patchwork" as possible (actually it almost worked too much in our early years).
I'm taking the save again and restart the circle tonight if none comes in by then. Of course anyone who never took a turn will still have priority.
P.S. thanks for the corrections  ;)

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok found time sooner then expected... I officially claim the save and restart the rotation. It will take quite some time with reorganization so be patient. I found corpses and dying humans all over the town so something must have happened here. I haven't  unpaused yet but i fear the FPS will drag till I get rid of all the livestock.
I'll keep you posted as things progress

WHAT. THE. HELL.
It took me half a day but i eventually managed to reset the jobs on the dwarves and set orders to butcher the beasts. In the meantime I also found out that we no longer have a firing range and absolutely no trained militia. We also have a shining new hospital already full of our brave soldiers, unroofed bedrooms with no doors and only a few farming fields.
I'm going to expand the city south across the river as soon as i deal with the FPS situation. We'll probably lose some workers to the wilderness but some things just can't be avoided, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:23:46 pm by IlFedaykin »

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Masterwork☼ human city: Shielgates. Dealing with catsplosions since 193
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2016, 06:32:05 am »

It took me half a day but i eventually managed to reset the jobs on the dwarves and set orders to butcher the beasts. In the meantime I also found out that we no longer have a firing range and absolutely no trained militia. We also have a shining new hospital already full of our brave soldiers, unroofed bedrooms with no doors and only a few farming fields.
  Humans, not dwarves.  :P
 Weapon of what grade is needed to do serious damage to amethyst golem? We can weaponize him, due to our lack of militia. In theory. And why the hell we don't have a firing range? I'm built nice firing range, arcturus improved it, but we don't have it one year past. ::)

Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 14, 2016, 08:16:34 am »

Targets were deconstructed for i don't know what reason, probably to move the range somewhere else.
It's a sapphire golem by the way... has to be one of the mods

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 14, 2016, 02:00:00 pm »

No, we do have a firing range.  It's up two levels directly above the west gate.  You can see the piles of spent ammo on the level below quantum stockpiled.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2016, 02:22:36 pm »

Iirc masterwork buffed gems - to steel-grade, iirc?

Vanilla, it should be inferior to metal, I think, given the dwarven amputation procedure.

I'd say "draft some miners and give them picks", but "what miners" in human fort :P

Oh yes, training archers make one of the neater werebeast watchdogs :)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2016, 05:20:06 am »

Any news, Fedaykin? How battle with kitsplosion goes?  ;D
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2016, 12:07:03 pm »

Update coming tonight!
I finally found some time to play today. Should be able to post 6 months report tonight... I fear it will be hard to deal with the animals even with 6 full time butchers.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15