Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Inquisition - Base Camp: Now recruiting for mission 3!  (Read 14452 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Inquisition - Base Camp: Now recruiting for mission 3!
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2016, 09:09:28 am »

Well, nobody is claiming that the bio is accurate; almost the whole point of that copypasta is that it's just unsubstantiated boasting.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2016, 09:44:58 am »

I'm going to scale the neptunic shark suit to about 15 hitpoints.

It's one of the best achievements of modern armor, tested to be able to take the force from the jaws of a full sized shark while ensuring the human underneath remains intact, and provides top to toe protection.

It is probably bullet resistant, but I doubt it handles sustained rifle fire very well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This abomination, the Brewster Armor, is proven be both man-portable and impervious to rifle fire. It weighs 50 Kilos. If I didn't have to do prolonged marching to reach a gunfight, I'd wear this. (unless I get shot at by tanks)

This pervert suit also looks really good, and we could use it to model a stripped down version of the Brewster armor.

This armor was mass produced, probably half the weight of the Brewster Armor, it was about 10kg. but was proof against rifle fire only at 60 metres and further. It was made from nickel-steel. If one were to scale this up with a blank cheque, I would try the same design with modern superalloys like nickel-nobium

Pic of some Lobster armor after being shot at:

This fancy armor is also made by the Germans for officers. But there's less data on people shooting at it.

The German Lobster Trench Suit and the Brewster Suit were used by the Germans and Americans in combat, and both are proven armors.

But the thing is, modern rifle plates and vest carriers have shit coverage, and casualties from people wearing them are mostly from bullets and shrapnel going in through the gaps. If you can sacrifice mobility, you can go full retard with the armor even without an exoskeleton.

Some other pics I found:

Italian WW1 soldiers using body shields on the march:

Use of a hand shield in WW1:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:00:19 pm by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2016, 11:38:29 am »

Hey, why don't we get a whole pile of armor and put it on wheels? We can call it a "tank". :D

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »

Hey, why don't we get a whole pile of armor and put it on wheels? We can call it a "tank". :D

We could but then it'll have trouble going room to room or maneuvering in tunnels to clear out supernatural shit lurking in the dark...

50Kg seems to be the upper limit on what has been thrown on an infantryman as armor and then have him fight on foot... It's not that difficult to train people to wear armor to fight, a lot of infantry training is about load conditioning and how not to die from heat exhaustion. The muscles and skeletal system can easily adapt to the load through repeated use of said muscles and maybe a good diet.

If true armor that you could rely on were available, it would change the way you fight. See that machine gun? Give it the finger and advance! ( I think Brewster stood in front of a machine gun, I'm trying to find the footage ).

In modern times, Troy Hurtubise tried inventing an armor suit that was proven against most pistol calibre rounds, and offered 97% coverage. If you get shot by a rifle, he said it comes with built in morphine injectors and a "last words" voice recorder.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:53:25 pm by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2016, 05:28:26 pm »

Not that this historical armor talk isn't interesting, but I'm fairly happy with the system we have right now.  Could we hurry up with the mission?

If nobody else objects, I would like to not buy the mook's FAL, M4, and UMP, or the ammo.  Instead, purchase:
  • A light shield for both of them.
  • Three vials of adrenaline, for both of them.
  • Knives for both of them.
  • A MAC-10 for each, and four mags of .45 JHP for each.
  • Twelve hand grenades for explosives dude, to replace his 40mm grenades
That is the rough order of priority for money, so if we run out, remove stuff from the end of the list first.  If we can't afford even the knives, just scratch all that and tell me how much we have to spend; TNT suicide vest just aren't a good idea without shields.  I'll probably just give them Remington 700s or something...

Sialia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2016, 08:55:16 pm »

Mirella will also buy another Mook. Buy it concealable Kevlar and a jumpsuit, buy it a knife and a flamethrower + appropriate fuel, M4A4 and appropriate ammunition (I don't know how to guns, I have no idea what is enough.)

If I have enough left over which I think I do, give the mook a set of formal clothing too.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 09:09:41 pm by Sialia »

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2016, 12:33:39 am »

Will update later.

I'm in a post-assignment sleep catch up state... Bed so warm...... must snuggle it...

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2016, 03:09:08 pm »

Alright, here's what I'll buy. Approximately, because I'm not the accountant here.

Anything I can make myself, do so.

Done

$3,350 total. We'll overdraft by $1,350 and just plunder team funds. 18,450 left.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 03:53:25 pm by Aigre Excalibur »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2016, 03:32:54 pm »

Just drop the silver for now. Plenty of science we can do without it.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2016, 05:22:28 pm »

Not that this historical armor talk isn't interesting, but I'm fairly happy with the system we have right now.  Could we hurry up with the mission?

If nobody else objects, I would like to not buy the mook's FAL, M4, and UMP, or the ammo.  Instead, purchase:
  • A light shield for both of them.
  • Three vials of adrenaline, for both of them.
  • Knives for both of them.
  • A MAC-10 for each, and four mags of .45 JHP for each.
  • Twelve hand grenades for explosives dude, to replace his 40mm grenades
That is the rough order of priority for money, so if we run out, remove stuff from the end of the list first.  If we can't afford even the knives, just scratch all that and tell me how much we have to spend; TNT suicide vest just aren't a good idea without shields.  I'll probably just give them Remington 700s or something...

2 light shields - 3000
6 Adrenalin - 420
2 knives - 400
2 Mac-10s 1600
240 rounds of .45 ACP JHP - 600
8 mags - 160

12 Hand Grenades, fragmentation - 600

6780 Total

We have 11670 Left.

Also: Helena's Sheet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Tih0idpojnOVZPU3hxc0FuYzA/view?usp=sharing

Mirella will also buy another Mook. Buy it concealable Kevlar and a jumpsuit, buy it a knife and a flamethrower + appropriate fuel, M4A4 and appropriate ammunition (I don't know how to guns, I have no idea what is enough.)

If I have enough left over which I think I do, give the mook a set of formal clothing too.

1 More Mook:

Concealed Kevlar 200
Jumpsuit: 1200
Knife 200
Flamethrower - 1600
3 Gallon Tank with (6/6) Charges - $50

Duffel Bag:
M4A4 Carbine - 1000
10 Magazines - 200
300 5.56 Ammunition - 300

Total: 4750

Setting up sheets for mooks. gimme a bit.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2016, 05:37:49 pm »

Just drop the silver for now. Plenty of science we can do without it.

You don't want to. Silver can stab vampires good too. (It does aggravated damage against both vampires AND werewolves. Unfortunately, it's useless as a stake, maybe you want to shape it into a blade.)

Blackshirts:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Tih0idpojnZkpUOFJfYy02OVU/view?usp=sharing

I'll set up the post in a bit. Plan some stories, including a "guided tour" of the Clinton Hospital, and do some interior design.

6920 left in the Team Fund

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2016, 05:57:39 pm »

You don't want to.
Yes, I do want to. I just said that I want to. Are you going to claim that I don't know what I want?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2016, 08:44:41 pm »

I think we're all ready, except possibly for S34N1C?

I think we should probably save the last bit of money, in case this mission fails and we need to buy more equipment, but I won't object if someone wants to buy a bit more.  I already spent the vast majority, so I don't have much of a right to complain anyway.

If anyone does buy a last minute gun, I suggest the MP7 (w/ JSP) or Mark 12 SPR (w/ AP).  Former is better offensively, or in tandem with a shield, while the latter is better defensively, or when at medium/long range.  Both cost 2000$, though the MP7 has slightly more expensive ammo.  Light assault shield is the best defense you can get for cheap.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2016, 08:47:35 pm »

Sorry for holding this up , but I'm feeling super unmotivated right now, and don't want to figure out what kind if character I want and what gear he should have.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2016, 08:49:26 pm »

I'm ready.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10