Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Septerra - Rise of the Junkers (On hiatus)  (Read 15298 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: Septerra - Rise of the Junkers (OPEN!)
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 07:59:20 pm »

I should draw you guys' attention to the new "Creatures" spoiler in my original post. It might give you some new ideas about what you want to do with your character's skills or bio.

Skills:
1.Vehicle expertise (you have knowledge of many different models of vehicles, can salvage useful parts from vehicles, and potentially create one yourself)
2. Vehicle specialty (aircraft) (you are particularly knowledgeable about all types of flight from hot air buoyancy to core engine levitation)
3.Vehicle mounted weapons (you are experienced with the sort of weapons mounted to vehicles)
Weapons: GM's choice maybe some sort of pistol.

If you see any problems or have any questions or advice please let me know
That'll work. I'm sure I can come up with something good for ya. Thanks!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 08:26:45 pm »

I'm really looking forward to this, but I'm having a hard time visualizing what the world actually looks like. Are the shells floating islands or is it more like a layered cave system with each if them sustaining their own ecosystem?
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 09:26:22 pm »

The "Shells" are layers of orbit around the central planet. I don't say "orbit" as in outer space, mind you; the term "Shell" is meant to describe the floating islands at varying levels of height in the world, Shell 8 being the exception because that is the surface. Shell 7 is the lowest due to being right above Shell 8. Shell 6 is the layer of islands above that, Shell 5 is the next, and so on. The distance between shells is typically around 4 to 6 miles. Yes, I know that puts Shell 1 at an incredible average of around 35 miles (184,800 feet) above the surface at the least, but this planet is quite a bit smaller than Earth. The atmosphere is extremely large, but the planet itself is pretty compact because a massive amount of its mass is up floating in the sky right now. 8)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:28:32 pm by Xvareon »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 09:36:31 pm »

Thanks for the clarification, that helps a lot with my visualization of this planet. Can't wait to kick this off!
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 11:41:29 am »

Can't wait to kick this off!
Agreed

I have a question that affects my Character's backstory.
How fast is flight tech improving in Septerra? Would it be ridiculous for Jarish's great grandfather to have found the family airship?( I assume it's had regular maintenance and modifications since then.)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 12:18:55 pm »

Agreed

I have a question that affects my Character's backstory.
How fast is flight tech improving in Septerra? Would it be ridiculous for Jarish's great grandfather to have found the family airship?( I assume it's had regular maintenance and modifications since then.)
Flight tech used to be limited to hauling airships and platforms via Helgak (see "Creatures" spoiler) or via hot air balloons, jet propulsion engines and the like. With Core Engines, however, you can create flying machines that not only have more than enough power garnered from the atmosphere to provide lift, but also power battleship-grade weapons and defense systems. Manipulation of Core Energy can also offer limited control over other forces, such as gravity and magnetism. You would need a pretty powerful Core Engine to do that, however.

Some Shells still use Helgak-based transportation because it's very efficient, but if you head to Shell 5 or 1, you are likely to find nations sprinting for any technological advancement in flight technology they can get.

As for your character, it's definitely possible that his great grandfather could have "found" the airship. Whether it was Core Engine-based or not is up to interpretation, of course, but more advanced nations would likely throw out old and outdated frames as they transitioned to newer and better ships. He could have picked up one of those, and just updated it as he found the parts and the time.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 12:27:19 pm »

@Xva: Btw, are there any glaring issues with anyones sheet that needs fixing, lore or mechanics wise?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 12:35:23 pm »

@Xva: Btw, are there any glaring issues with anyones sheet that needs fixing, lore or mechanics wise?

S34N1C = Looks good. "Jerryrigging", I'm assuming is more like "jury-rigging", seems like it would deal more with making certain pieces of tech do more (or less) than they are really supposed to. That could be dangerous if trying to overclock a laser pistol or something, but it's your funeral!

Kassire = All good here. Cybernetics & biotechnology are both big parts of the universe.

Drahknil = Yikes, your character looks rough. But in a good way! Glad to see you getting into the spirit of things. The bio checks out, and so do the skills. I can think of some good ways to use "artistry", too.

Dwarmin = Very apt picture for this setting you have there, I must say. A Royal Guard for a family on Shell 1 checks out, as Shell 1 is basically a smattering of powerful feudal clans and families. Going for armor and weapon crafting, huh? Sounds like you'll be the fighter-type. This all looks good!

GiglameshDespair = Sculla sounds like just the right hunter-type, and you give me a good few ideas on new creatures and bits of culture to include in the setting. I'm sure I can come up with some good throwing weapons for you.

Sudurandom = Perfect, actually. I'm already getting plenty of great ideas about what to do with your skillset, and the bio looks good too.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:06:59 pm by Xvareon »

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 07:31:35 pm »

Thanks Xvareon, that seems like it works perfectly.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 07:37:09 pm »

S34N1C = Looks good. "Jerryrigging", I'm assuming is more like "jury-rigging", seems like it would deal more with making certain pieces of tech do more (or less) than they are really supposed to. That could be dangerous if trying to overclock a laser pistol or something, but it's your funeral!

Yes I did mean jury-rigging, just misspelled it I guess. I was looking more for the ability to craft medium-high quality weapons from scrap, but didn't want to call it weapon-smithing.

Glory to United Forenia!

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 05:44:38 am »

Rather than playing I might be interested in Co-GMing. Do you still need/want one, Xvar? Or have I disqualified myself by asking in this thread rather than posting?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 06:13:37 am »

Name: Zachary
Appearance: Shaggy shoulder-length black hair hanging loose. Blue eyes. Green jumpsuit with a bomber jacket over the top. Flight helmet has a five-pronged star emblazoned into the forehead above the visor
Bio: Zachary is a young flight-obsessed gun nut.
------
Skills:
1. Heavier-than-air Pilot lv1: Basic aerobatic skills
2. Heavier-than-air Pilot lv2: Advanced aerobatic skills.
3. Mechanic/panelbeater lv1: Zachary makes all of his aircraft personally
Weapons: Revolver on his person.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:16:05 pm by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 12:12:13 pm »

Rather than playing I might be interested in Co-GMing. Do you still need/want one, Xvar? Or have I disqualified myself by asking in this thread rather than posting?
Someone to at least bounce ideas off of would be both helpful and fun. I'm still in the market for a Co-GM, yes. If you're really interested, can we hook up in Skype, Steam or some other instant message client sometime? If not, back-and-forth via PM will work. Send me a PM in that case, or find me on Skype -- my Skype account name is right there below my posting picture.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 06:31:46 pm »

Do you know what we're missing? Trains. Prefentially with armor and guns. Character in construction.
Spoiler: Character Done (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:30:02 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Sosoku234

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny and chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2016, 10:50:03 pm »

Drahknil = Yikes, your character looks rough. But in a good way! Glad to see you getting into the spirit of things. The bio checks out, and so do the skills. I can think of some good ways to use "artistry", too.

Thank you, I was going for the Batman's Penguin Backstory, only without the horrible evil character traits. I also wanted to play with a character that has enough flexibility to help in some combat and also support the team with some form of consumer based industry.

I eagerly await this.
Monster stowage inventory running low. Starting #2 Monster Pump, filling #4 Monster tank, via #2a Demonizer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9