Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Installing Starcraft II Legacy of the Void.  (Read 3773 times)

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Installing Starcraft II Legacy of the Void.
« on: October 18, 2016, 06:15:59 pm »

Bought a physical disk today for SCII LotV.

It won't work. All it does it open a little download bar that refuses to move. It says Starting Battle.net.... It then does nothing, except it seems to have damaged my SCII Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm Expansions so those aren't playable either....

I can't play my new game expansion. It looks like it messed up with old ones, and I'm out $42.99.

Ideas, please?

Thank you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Installing Starcraft II Legacy of the Void.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:32:47 pm »

It wants to make sure battle.net is up to date. The actual installer leverages battle.net as a torrent tracker, among other things. It uses it to distribute patches, and even full downloads for people who buy digital only copies.

Allow it to do the update.  The game installer will fire afterwards.

It screwed up your other bnet hosted games because bnet is basically the copy protection mechanism.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 06:50:03 pm »

I will attempt to try and get it to work by doing some kind of update (assuming the game itself will start). It said something about damage and running a program to fix it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 06:55:46 pm »

Pull the bnet client installer for SCII, and install that.

https://us.battle.net/account/download

After that, it should scan for games.  It uses torrent technology, so corrupted filed will have the corrupted bits fixed, rather than downloading whole new copies.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:37:04 pm »

! "Your StarCraft II installation is damaged.

Would you like to run Battle.net Desktop Application to repair the Problem

Repair, Close

Choose Repair.... Nothing.

I do have all copies of SCII on hard disk, Wings of Liberty, Heart of the Swarm, and Legacy of the Void (that I just got). Here's hoping something can help, and thank you for your tips. I appreciate it.

P.S. The website download you sent doesn't seem to be doing anything different, oddly enough. (Not your fault, but frustrating of course). It just gives the same "Starting Battle.net" gray box.... Loading bar that never loads.

P.P.S. Would uninstalling the whole thing and reinstalling work if I had to, and if so, would this kill all my progress?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:41:22 pm by Transcendant »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 07:44:09 pm »

Iirc, save games are saved in your my documents folder.

You can try uninstalling battle.net and reinstalling it.  Bnet is not blocked by the windows firewall is it?

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 07:47:38 pm »

It asked if starcraft could make changes and I said yes, of course.

It says in the installation is damaged. I don't know if that helps.

I do hope it's cool with my games being saved in my documents.

Hoping I don't have to do full reinstall, because I know some of my arcade game progress is going to be wiped if I do.

SCII itself won't run, but I see B net running.... despite that little gray box....

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 07:53:26 pm »

see if you can get into the battle.net main window.  iirc, there is an option to check file integrity in there somewhere.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/6572

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 08:00:17 pm »

Scanning gratefully. Fingers crossed. Thank you. Here's hoping.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 08:16:36 pm »

Welp, I did the scan thing under options (thanks for letting me know about that). It said no repair was necessary.

It still won't run the game, says it's damaged and asks if I want Battle.net desktop application to repair the problem....

It then does nothing and won't open the game....

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 08:20:19 pm »

i bet the problem is battle.net itself.

close it, and stop the service.  uninstall it.  reinstall using the download from thier site.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 08:48:16 pm »

Not sure I did this right, because.... :(

Overall, I uninstalled battle.net and reinstalled it but it doesn't seem to be doing much. Crap. The game itself still won't start and says its damanged. Scanning won't fix it. This is a new problem as of today....

I can't have somehow screwed this up forever can I? There's gotta be a way to uninstall this thing at worst and reinstall from the disks?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:02:07 pm by Transcendant »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 07:57:52 am »

Have you tried contacting customer support?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 05:50:39 pm »

I have not called customer support but I'd like to. I've never done that before with blizzard. I bet they have something you can type in. Maybe an email or some sort of online box you can use to type in things.

Update: I uninstalled and reinstalled the original game (Wings of Liberty) and the expansion (Heart of the Swarm). Still says bad things and that my installation is damaged. Crap. I have physical copies of all three games including the boxes and discs. No luck, but it worked before I bought Legacy of the Void.

I'm not even sure where to go for help.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 06:42:24 pm »

Questions:

Are you running Windows 7, 8, or 10?

Are you using a 64 or 32 bit system?

If you do not know, they your system requirements can be displayed in different ways depending on what you're running, like the "computer" screen that displays your drives and the "system properties" tab. Assuming you're on 7. 8 is a little different and I won't touch 10 unless I'm forced to.

Sounds like you've got two problems. The first one is getting your game to work and if it's windows 7, which I'm guessing it is, then your problem is this mess right here: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/sc2/topic/20749857180
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: [1] 2