Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The biggest library  (Read 9313 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
The biggest library
« on: October 17, 2016, 03:01:25 pm »

I have a library with 200 bookshelves spanning 2 z levels.

What is the biggest library you guys have made? Mine has 100+ books right now and counting.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: The biggest library
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 04:05:32 pm »

I haven't made a library that large, but I am posting to watch the thread. Damn that is one impressive library.

Do you have an old crusty leader of bookkeepers, Urist McKeeperOfSecrets?

Five seconds of Googling has satisfied what I was looking for.

Does he complain to the other dwarves about a time before time?

Do human wizards come barreling into your fortress and spend weeks on the history books?

Do some of your books scream? Is there a section that says RESTRICTED?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 07:08:19 pm »

I know now what has been missing, and that was a restricted section. I'll fill it with goblin books, they keep bringing vicious tomes with them when they invade. It will have special security and everything.

There is indeed a crusty old library-master for life. He has his own office and dining room and frequently argues with patrons. Other scholars get living quarters on the premises.

There are often human and elf religious figures that come storming into the city without asking and muck about in the library. They often injure some visiting goblins. Specifically goblins.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:10:08 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 11:19:48 pm »

You need at least one book with the secrets of life and death.  Use adv mode to deposit one if needed.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 01:10:26 am »

The problem i've always has with making a large library is that all the visiting scholars keep stealing the books! This would not even be a big problem were it not for my scribes being a bunch of slackers who copy one book then go back to drinking and hauling even when there's a hundred books sitting defenceless and alone. 

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 03:08:51 am »

How many of the books were written in fort / copied / bought / captured / ...? I rarely see books as trade goods or visiting scholars in the kind of world I run (very small usually).

Ironbreaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 04:34:32 am »

I would love to make a library. But there is no option to create a bookshelf in any of the workshops. Has the feature been implemented into 43.03? I created a tavern no prob. Haven't tried a temple yet.

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 07:31:48 am »

My libraries have been getting "smaller" the past few forts, instead focusing on size I instead work on architecture, placing statues, etc. The most books I managed so far is close to 100 (75-80 something) in a near masterpiece filled library, ran out of gold for statues though... Go figure my dwarves are split into to castes: The Taverns and the Scholars. Making a multi-z level library... Hmm... Think I might try that next fort just for kicks. What would be a project though would be to dedicate an entire Z-level to a library and stock it with masterpieces, then forget the fort for a few centuries then adventure back.

Anyway, it would be nice though if my dwarves would PICK UP THE BOOKS dropped by the visiting scholars I have executed, they just leave them lying around the fort refusing to pick them up, rare and unique books too!!!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 07:47:09 am »

My libraries have been getting "smaller" the past few forts, instead focusing on size I instead work on architecture, placing statues, etc. The most books I managed so far is close to 100 (75-80 something) in a near masterpiece filled library, ran out of gold for statues though... Go figure my dwarves are split into to castes: The Taverns and the Scholars. Making a multi-z level library... Hmm... Think I might try that next fort just for kicks. What would be a project though would be to dedicate an entire Z-level to a library and stock it with masterpieces, then forget the fort for a few centuries then adventure back.

Anyway, it would be nice though if my dwarves would PICK UP THE BOOKS dropped by the visiting scholars I have executed, they just leave them lying around the fort refusing to pick them up, rare and unique books too!!!
Were they unforbidden/claimed?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 07:48:52 am »

I would love to make a library. But there is no option to create a bookshelf in any of the workshops. Has the feature been implemented into 43.03? I created a tavern no prob. Haven't tried a temple yet.
That's because it is bookcase.

That said, they - and containers - are used purely for storage in libraries. Discussing or reading needs nothing, and I think writing needs at most materials, table and chair.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 08:20:05 am »

I like the sound of such a megaproject, Build a library that is the envy of the Gods themselves! I might at some point see If I can build something so grand.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 08:29:24 am »

The reason books that belonged to executed visitors aren't moved is that they're marked as "merchant" owned (at least that has been the cases with the books of vampires I have eliminated). You can use DFHack's gui/gm-editor to remove the flag. It's also been said on the forum that the tag will eventually be reset when the book has blocked the door/building site/other unsuitable location for a sufficient time.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 12:04:21 pm »

Is there any mechanical advantage to dwarves reading/copying books?

I mean I know they can write more, and possibly make 'advances', but those don't actually do anything, right?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 12:42:22 pm »

Well, they can satisfy their needs for abstract thought, and their personal values can be shifted by what they read. Also, when discussing things they get a little exp (enough to get few levels of skills in few years, or just to keep healthcare skills from rusting).

You can sell the copied books, though it isn't as good an income source as spiked balls (even at it's most simple with quires and papyrus, you're still looking at 3 jobs per book). Also, obviously it can help to counter visiting scholar-thieves.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 01:50:01 pm »

I thought that skills like doctor and whatnot could be raised somewhat by reading books about diagnosis and the like?

In my case I just want to collect knowledge.
Pages: [1] 2