Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Were-creatures attacking each other?  (Read 11922 times)

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Were-creatures attacking each other?
« on: October 15, 2016, 10:22:14 pm »

In my current fort I have 4 dwarves who were bitten at different times by weregoats. Sure enough, on the full moon, they all transform. I'd like to have them all in a separate fort together (the were-monastery) but every time they transform they attack and kill each other. The wiki doesn't seem to think this will happen.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to make the weregoats friendly to each other?

cheers!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Were-creatures attacking each other?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 10:37:17 pm »

I think if they were bitten by different were-goats then they aren't members of the same were-beast tribe, and will be hostile to each other. Was it a different were-goat that bit each one?

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 11:03:12 pm »

I think if they were bitten by different were-goats then they aren't members of the same were-beast tribe, and will be hostile to each other. Was it a different were-goat that bit each one?

Hmmmm, I think perhaps two of them might be from the same weregoat, but I'm unsure which. I didn't realise the were-tribe was important! I think The were-monastery will have to be individual rooms instead then. How sad for those dwarves!

I'm not sure what they can meaningfully do in their monastery. Any tips on stopping them from going insane?

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 05:48:45 am »

Transformations aren't exactly simultaneous. If a single dwarf transforms just before another, there will be a brief period in which a weregoat can see an unturned dwarf, which triggers hostility.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 11:10:25 pm »

Are they all weak to the same type of metal?

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 12:17:04 am »

Werebeasts are weak to certain metals? Other than steel and candy, that is, all organic creatures are nothing against steel or candy.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 12:28:55 am »

They are, yes. The effect isnt extremely obvious, but they are.

Werebeasts are friendly to one-another of the same species. The "loyalty" is a side-effect of the CRAZED tag, which makes them berserk. Except, to other members of the same species who are also crazed.

However, it's possible that your two weregoat groups are completely different species as far as the game's concerned, because it generated a "weregoat" twice. Each species should have its own descriptive text, like regarding its eye and hair color. Check them all when transformed and see if there are two different descriptions. of the creature's eyes and hair color.

Never seen werebeasts kill their own species before, honestly.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 03:42:36 am »

However, it's possible that your two weregoat groups are completely different species as far as the game's concerned, because it generated a "weregoat" twice. Each species should have its own descriptive text, like regarding its eye and hair color. Check them all when transformed and see if there are two different descriptions. of the creature's eyes and hair color.

I've checked all 4 of them. They all have azure eyes and patchy charcoal hair; some of them were from a different weregoat-- but one with the exact same description seems odd?

Currently they're members of an inactive military squad (randomly named "The Walled Creatures", I kid you not), but even when I remove two of them from the squad and separate them, they all still fight each other.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 04:17:44 am »

Try letting them transform alone, then see if they still attack each other when they meet each other in were-form.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 02:36:11 pm »

I wonder if there are multiple creatures with the name tag of "goat" in your game. Any mods active?

Because werecreatures that are from the same animal should not attack each other.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 09:26:54 pm »

I wonder if there are multiple creatures with the name tag of "goat" in your game. Any mods active?

Because werecreatures that are from the same animal should not attack each other.

No mods at all! Not even dfhack or therapist. I'll build a room where I can release them to each other's company after transformation and report back.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 10:10:19 pm »

Okay, two of them don't seem to attack each other, whether they transform within line of sight of one another or not. The other two still seem hostile. I can't remember who was bit when, so I can't comment on their were-lineages.

[edit] put the two in close proximity: they still attacked each other. It seems that transforming separately might be the way to prevent were-mortalities, but I can't think of any way to reasonably automate the process so that were-creatures are separated during transformation only. For now they will have to have separate quarters.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:10:17 pm by Russell.s »

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 01:06:51 am »

Okay, two of them don't seem to attack each other, whether they transform within line of sight of one another or not. The other two still seem hostile. I can't remember who was bit when, so I can't comment on their were-lineages.

[edit] put the two in close proximity: they still attacked each other. It seems that transforming separately might be the way to prevent were-mortalities, but I can't think of any way to reasonably automate the process so that were-creatures are separated during transformation only. For now they will have to have separate quarters.

Werebeasts start growing thirsty or hungry towards the end of their cycles. Maybe give all dwarves a dining room at the end of a very long corridor, so that they'll be moving down the corridor at the moment of transformation?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 05:21:00 am »

Elaborating on Derro's answer: Dining rooms might be tricky given that weres will trash them. However, you can burrow each were such that they have access to separate food and drink stockpiles corridored away from each other.

Edit:
You could have private dining rooms and pressure plates that open retracting drawbridges to drop them into transformation holding cells in/under those corridors, so they never actually reach their nice dining rooms. You'll likely get some premature captures with that setup unless the weres are busy, though.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 05:24:12 am by PatrikLundell »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 05:31:35 am »

Only a bit. No, assuming full moon lasts 6 days out of 26 and resets counters on all transformations, dwarf will have 24000 hunger/thrist by the time next full moon arrives, so if they're busy they may not go there at all.
    20000 - dwarf starts considering getting something to drink (1/120 chance per tick) if idle
    22000 - dwarf decides to go get something to drink if idle 
25000 - dwarf starts flashing "Thirsty"
35000 - dwarf gets an unhappy thought about being Thirsty and cancels its current job to get something to drink
Which means they'll have around 2 days to move to the dining room (or about half a minute, rounding up). Assuming it is 12 steps to pick a new job, they'll have around 10% chance per job to go for a drink one 16 2/3 days have passed, which does make it seem likely that they'll transform anyway.
Pages: [1] 2