Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 24 - Year ??? It's over  (Read 21830 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 24 - Year 2- getting to know the neighbors
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2016, 07:05:32 pm »

Interesting offer. "I'll give you a cease-fire if you let my disciple keep his last two provinces and attack my less conveniently located enemy."

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2016, 08:57:50 am »

POLLY HAS AWAKENED.

That is all.
Check out my books at O and H Books

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2016, 06:09:49 pm »

Alright, gonna place down a 6 hour extension for arco, just in case, feel free to ask for more but I gotta get to bed.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2016, 02:56:17 am »

Whoops, thanks for that. Expected to sleep for significantly less than that.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
Re: Dominions 4 Round 24 - Year 3- High intensity diplomatic exchanges
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2016, 12:12:25 pm »

Polly wants to disclaim any and all responsibility for consumption of frog-tainted drinking water.

If you do, it's toadally your own fault.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2016, 04:15:43 am »

It's been almost a week since the last message, heh. These games don't lend themselves to much socializing do they? So I do wanna ask at least, how do you guys feel about something like a disciples game as opposed to a regular free for all? I can't be the only person that finds the social aspect of this whole game to be one of the more fun features and draws.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2016, 06:26:46 am »

Not a big difference for me on the talking to my enemies/future enemies front (Let's face it, sudden, but inevitable, betrayals happen eventually, it's part of the nature of the game), but then again, I've always been a quiet person.

But overall socialization? I think disciple games are great for that! Especially if you maintain an active team discussion. Although I feel more teams are needed to really make it shine... Not quite sure why.

As for funnest part of the game though.... Well I did say I was quiet. But it's nice to talk to someone every now and then.

(P.S. One of the Funner parts of the game for me is the analysis I do to answer the simple question of 'How do I smash army?')

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2016, 09:33:41 am »

The thing with disciples games is that there's fewer teams, which leads to a smaller amount of diplomatic shenanigans. There's effectively four players, even if each of them has two heads. At the moment we're pretty much all at war. (I think the graph looks like a Z?) so there's not that much room for kibitzing from third parties--particularly when the moment one of us goes down another war's going to start.

I've been having a blast, though. Being only one head is a lot less stress. And Jilladilla knows a ton about Dominions.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2016, 11:00:16 am »

I'm not enjoying this game's socialization as much as last game's. There's not much room for diplomacy with so few sides, and there's much less chatter in this thread, since we have one safe person to talk with and don't want to give away anything important. I'd be interested in trying a disciples game again with more players, though.

In other news, Epiphany, the god of Ragha/Ulm, was diseased down to 2 HP last turn. She been cured, and survived the stupid assassin-throne with its ninja plague site.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2016, 11:17:10 am »

Trash talking is like half the fun afterall ; )

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2016, 11:34:13 am »

Yeah, my goal was to get a 3 person per team deal going, but we were a person short of that, and it would have lead to few teams. If I can nab 12 that's just a perfect disciples number.

In other news, Epiphany, the god of Ragha/Ulm, was diseased down to 2 HP last turn. She been cured, and survived the stupid assassin-throne with its ninja plague site.
The cure was something of an... epiphany.

Other than that, I'm also worried about Cheeetar and Sean here. I mean, we're at war and all but I also wanna be a gracious host here. Knowing what went wrong this game should help get more satisfying games next time.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2016, 12:08:53 pm »

Yeah, my goal was to get a 3 person per team deal going, but we were a person short of that, and it would have lead to few teams. If I can nab 12 that's just a perfect disciples number.

The cure was something of an... epiphany.

Other than that, I'm also worried about Cheeetar and Sean here. I mean, we're at war and all but I also wanna be a gracious host here. Knowing what went wrong this game should help get more satisfying games next time.
It's not so much where "we" went wrong. I mean, it could have helped if you actually helped us against the terrors from the underground (instead of, y'know, suddenly and inevitably attacking us instead), but for the most part it was that the starts placement screwed up. If either Ulm was swapped with Marignon, or Bogarus with Ragha, it would have made a much more balanced start for us. As it was, we were stretched into a thin strip that was undefendable and surrounded on all sides, and we couldn't help each other.

edit: also, just because I know that it'll mess with starts even more, but also because I do like how the map turned out, I'd like to request Dawn of Bridges as the map for the next game.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:16:06 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2016, 12:17:19 pm »

Well, in terms of that... It's not as though we went into diplomacy to stab you in the back right from the start, but the terms of what was proposed was too constricting that it felt we have more to lost from agreeing to it than not. If I do run another disciples game I might tag you into my team for what it's worth, since your team's diplomacy game seemed fairly weak... we knew who was in the better position when it came to discussing terms, so that worked against you. Diplomacy should start with anticipating what the other party wants and using that in your favor.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2016, 12:26:27 pm »

I don't usually play the diplomacy game just for diplomacy's sake. Most of the time it's either I have something I want to trade, or it's someone I can pretty definitely see as a mutual threat and I try to convince the other side of it. Convince as in convince, not bribe. Dominions is not a game where you negotiate peace just because you don't want to be at war, and in my opinion if an appeal to common sense fails (i.e. "if you attack us we'll fight you and not the other side and then they will beat you") then diplomacy would never have achieved much anyways.

(besides, in our strategic situation? There was nothing we could have offered to even bribe you people. ::) )
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:29:18 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2016, 12:39:31 pm »

To be perfectly honest, the main thing was the sudden border dispute up north. If all it was was a nap and a joint was that was a pretty good enough "bribe". I was surprised it fell apart myself. So uh, yeah, we're not trying to be greedy bastards, it just felt that the terms of the agreement would have hamstrung us worse than a war with another power would have.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15