Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Invasions know better, wish they didn't  (Read 1940 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Invasions know better, wish they didn't
« on: October 14, 2016, 09:02:51 pm »

Hey, so, the last major invasion was around 200 goblins and trolls and such.

They were routed by a literal hydra deity named Tobnom who was also on the map. Since then all invasions have been maybe 10 at a time. Are they afeared or will I get more huge invasions later, do you think?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Invasions know better, wish they didn't
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 09:10:03 pm »

I would recomend turtling in. Let their numbers grow back. Let some kids play outside and whatnot.

Also, did you ever post the pic for that hydra bone artifact chest?
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 03:19:02 am »

The siege may just have exhausted their supply of bodies to send in.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 04:01:12 am »

As indicated by the previous posts, sieges all come from a single settlement, and that can run out of bodies to send (and DF doesn't yet know how to recruit from other settlements). I wouldn't bother with waiting for them to grow back, though: I had a fortress that exhausted the siegers' settlement of bodies, and it took them close to 70 years to grow back to a pop of about 35 and send two sieges, the first about 30 of all raw recruits, and the second about half of that (consisting of those who ran away when they realized the first one was doomed). The 6 or so remaining gobbos at the site would probably have needed another 70 years to regrow the numbers enough to mount another pathetic siege).

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 07:03:44 am »

It would be nice if Toady programmed in population explosions, after major wars that usually happens and then more fighting breaks out. The lack of sieges really spoils it for me since I play largely to test my defenses.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 07:43:47 am »

It's certainty annoying, does anyone know of anyway to change what is considered the nearest site? Would sallying out in adventurer mode and killing the last survivors of the goblin fortress work, how about using dfhack to delete the goblin site from existance(if thats even possible without crashing the game). Is it still possible to use DFHack to force sieges? I'm not really that experinced with modding, so i don't know.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 08:51:41 am »

What you should do if you require repeated large sieges is to generate the world and view it in Legends Mode (or export the XML and view it with Legends Viewer). There you can see how large a contingent various sites have, and then you can embark to ensure that site is the one closest to you (you probably shouldn't embark more than two world tiles away). To make sure, you should copy the save, retire or abandon your site in the copy, and again check with Legends Mode to ensure the goblins haven't established a puny site closer to you during the two week embark frenzy.

I don't know if you can force sieges with DFHack, but suspect that may have been lost (if it did exist) when sieges started to actually come from somewhere.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 11:21:30 am »

I would recomend turtling in. Let their numbers grow back. Let some kids play outside and whatnot.

Also, did you ever post the pic for that hydra bone artifact chest?

This was all good information, thank you all.

Also here you go:

It's covered in spikes of iron and hydra bone and depicts dwarves being slaughtered by a still-in-existence titan. Further prophecy?

Now the artifact door in only openable by lever. On the door is a depiction of the first artifact in this fort, an aluminum sarcophagus. Once the king arrives down the road this will be placed in their tomb and the lever to the door will be moved there, probably behind some kind of trap puzzle.

Also I need to fill that reliquary room with other treasures too. Masterwork golden crafts and the like, any named weapons from fallen soldiers, etc.

Not to pontificate, but this fort is now Tobnom Fort. I was planning on it lasting for like a few years, but then this happened and now the main entrance has a giant tower with statues of Tobnom surrounding the base. The biggest recommendation I get from friends in this fort is some kind of Indiana Jones trap (In the anchient dwarvish.... Tobnom startsh with an "I")
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 11:53:12 am by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 02:03:50 pm »

You have so very many artifacts Dunamisdeos! Do you play 1 main fort?

I specifically like to abandon forts and start new ones in more !FUN!, dangerous and goblin-infested areas if I don't get enough assailants :p.
It sucks when a fort suffers because of inaccessible stuff in the surroundings, or when siegers run out.
I straight up just abandon the site and leave, because frankly, I love watching my tiny armoured dwarves march to war against goblin hordes.

A good way to guarantee sieges is to have dead dwarf-civ and a world full o' goblins
(makes the dwarf fighting seem like desperate revenge too!
"You extincted my race but we'll survive and fight you off! I. AM. DWARF! *berserker rage*"
"You killed my ancestors, now I'll return the favour! *uses siege weapons*"
"My ancestors are dead, but not the spirit of my civilisation!" etc.)

If you kept wiping out sieges and embarking near goblins, you could probably wipe out most of the goblins in the world through fort mode!

Might make a good challenge run if you like sieges (which are quite easy anyway):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 03:29:09 pm »

I like that a lot.

Don't get me wrong I've gotten multiple sieges, but they've all been of relatively small size.

I do play one fort until it's "finished" usually once whatever project I had in mind is done. This is going to be TOBNOM FORT.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 12:10:47 pm »

1. Dying civ, world infested with goblins (1000 000 goblins in a pocket-sized world, anyone?)
FTFY :p

(Probably can't do, though, mainly due FPS - I find worldgen starts to get noticeably slower around 30k total pop in pocket worlds - and due goblins going to war with each other.)

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 06:46:13 pm »

1. Dying civ, world infested with goblins (1000 000 goblins in a pocket-sized world, anyone?)

(Probably can't do, though, mainly due FPS - I find worldgen starts to get noticeably slower around 30k total pop in pocket worlds - and due goblins going to war with each other.)

Is it possible to seed an insurrection by creating dwarves through embarkation? I hope so :p

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 07:01:14 pm »

Is it possible to seed an insurrection by creating dwarves through embarkation? I hope so :p

I've wondered what would happen if you seed multiple sites out of range of the goblins then let em' alone for a while, maybe start an actual fort for a decade or so.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 07:09:01 pm »

Using just that, spamming embark and retiring? Not much of an insurrection, even if dwarves were to war with goblins. Assuming it takes you a minute to embark, it'll take 24 minutes to spawn 168 dwarves into world in one year - not much when a fortress starts in year 2 at 200ish.

In that scenario, the goblins would truly rue other goblin, as their society is kinda murder-happy. Lots of death would happen due that, I think.

Still, it seem like a cool idea (though seems like it'd be tedious in practice)....Hm. If you uncapped sieges, then you'd likely want to plan it so that you'll kill goblins almost as soon as they'll appear on the map to save fps and avoid archer troubles.

Maybe do it with just 1 or at most 2 dark full dark forts.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 07:12:37 pm »

Yes but while you are playing in your fort, wont other dwarves be born in the seeded ones? It could take awhile but you could in theory restart a dwarven civ so long as you planted the initial sites outside goblin range.
Pages: [1] 2