Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GLACIER EMBARK TRUBS  (Read 1321 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
GLACIER EMBARK TRUBS
« on: October 14, 2016, 07:29:30 pm »

So I have built the military portion of my fortress directly underneath the glacier layer.

None of the walls or floors are made of ice, but I expect that the CIELING is. If there were to be some kind of catastrophic melting would the ceiling flood my fort?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GLACIER EMBARK TRUBS
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 07:58:43 pm »

So I have built the military portion of my fortress directly underneath the glacier layer.

None of the walls or floors are made of ice, but I expect that the CIELING is. If there were to be some kind of catastrophic melting would the ceiling flood my fort?

Unmined ice melts when exposed to great heat, from magma or from very hot creatures. Otherwise, it doesn't melt. The ceilings would only melt if you ran magma underneath them, or a very hot creature (like a magma man) walked under them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 08:03:01 pm »

There's a volcano. It's more of a "when".
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:09:47 pm »

Volcanoes don't erupt. They are simply magma tubes that reach the ground. Like any magma tube, magma will rise back up to the original level if magma is removed, and there are something like magma fountains that pop up while it is refilling, shooting a bit higher than the original level. But no eruptions. The only way the volcano will melt the ice is if you make it melt the ice, on purpose or through carelessness.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 09:13:56 pm »

Why do I feel the OP's defense style is going full boatmurdered on his enemies, hence the "it's more of a when"
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 09:36:09 pm »

Why do I feel the OP's defense style is going full boatmurdered on his enemies, hence the "it's more of a when"

I had that very thought myself. "Oh, but the magma WILL flow, my friend. Aw yisss, the magma will flow, mwahahaha!"

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 09:42:42 pm »

If you're feeling especially ambitious, one of the more advanced SDTs is to place a layer of magma and obsidian directly under the ice, so as to create a water moat.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 09:52:17 pm »

hmmmm.. fun idea...

create wall of raising bridges around the moat. these do not keep invaders out; they keep them IN.

when the gobbos arrive, bridges raise.  magma is introduced beneath ice, and the army goes for a swim. they cant get out because of the raised bridges.

magma is then piped out\atom smashed from the cistern below, refreezing the moat.

no more invaders.  works on any enemy type other than fliers.

i bet it would be very satisfying. 

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 11:07:42 pm »

hmmmm.. fun idea...

create wall of raising bridges around the moat. these do not keep invaders out; they keep them IN.

when the gobbos arrive, bridges raise.  magma is introduced beneath ice, and the army goes for a swim. they cant get out because of the raised bridges.

magma is then piped out\atom smashed from the cistern below, refreezing the moat.

no more invaders.  works on any enemy type other than fliers.
i bet it would be very satisfying.

Didn't DS try something like that with Roomcarnage, only to have it fail because the ice floor tile is TWO z-levels above the magma, and it never melts? I.e. you have magma, above that the ice melts to liquid water, but above that, the ice floor tile remains frozen.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 01:12:36 am »

there is an option to avoid that, but makes reloading a pita.

just inside the retainer walls, and just outside the fortress entrance keep, a 1 tile wide channel is made.

retracting bridges link the resulting land area, and the outside of the moat.

invaders come over the bridges toward the fort. when they are all in, but before they get to the fort, the retracting bridges retract, and the containment bridges raise.  this leaves the "courtyard" supported only by the level below, and not from any sides.

when the ice below melts, the floor is no longer supported, and caves in. the cavein is stopped by the natural obsidian floor below.

invaders go for a swim.

magma is destroyed or vented.

invaders become cryogenically frozen. siege ends.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 10:16:04 am »

I am 100% certain that at some point my map or portions of it will be covered in magma. It is, as they say, inevitable.

Anyway is that how ceiling tiles work? And would it be possible to roof my fort to avoid this problem.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 12:14:54 pm »

Volcanoes don't erupt.
Terms and conditions may apply: After reclaim, the DF together evil glacier-neutral mountain embark volcano started "erupting" - that is, overfilling.

This was eventually stopped by using map edge drainage underground.