Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Paladins: a team based hero shooter  (Read 3502 times)

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paladins: a team based hero shooter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 04:34:39 pm »

I think they had like generic names that sorta gave it away no?  I didn't notice it until they "chatted" and said overly nice things to the player/each other.  No lobby is that nice!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 02:07:31 am »

Nope, Kinessa is just mad overpowered.
No, she's not. She's pretty damn strong, but is balanced by the fact that she's hard as hell to play as, and a good flanker will make her life a living hell.

It doesn't matter how good you are at lining headshots when Buck lands on top of you.
Oh my fucking god, Buck.

But I mean, speakign as a Kinessa and Ying player, I feel like both heroes are a class above other heroes. But then again I think Makoa is objectively better than Fernando while everyone else think that Fernando is the meta frontliner, so I guess it's just my personal opinions.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 06:23:18 am »

Nope, Kinessa is just mad overpowered.
No, she's not. She's pretty damn strong, but is balanced by the fact that she's hard as hell to play as, and a good flanker will make her life a living hell.

It doesn't matter how good you are at lining headshots when Buck lands on top of you.
Oh my fucking god, Buck.

But I mean, speakign as a Kinessa and Ying player, I feel like both heroes are a class above other heroes. But then again I think Makoa is objectively better than Fernando while everyone else think that Fernando is the meta frontliner, so I guess it's just my personal opinions.
The problem with Fernando is that people that play as him think he's a flanker and keep pursuing instead of just sticking to the objective. His charge got nerfed last patch because of it and I can see it happening again.

Anyway, I mostly play flankers and Buck in particular.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 08:51:36 pm »

Personally I feel like Makoa kicks ass as  a sort of "secondary" frontline, ie having another frontline on the team, most likely Fernando. He can sit on the point for ages, sure, but he can't really threaten anyone while doing it--he can't attack while doing his shield thing, his ult is, well, an ult, his pull is basically reliant on teammates to be effective and, if he's on the point already, he probably needs to focus more on surviving, and his basics don't deal enough damage to really confront an enemy frontline imo. However, he complements Fernando and/or Barik wonderfully; in an even exchange, shielding or adding damage to the enemy frontline can help remove them more quickly while not having to worry too much about staying alive thanks to his huge healthbar (and shielding the squishier Barik or Ruckus would be helpful and prevent them from collapsing).

Fernando, on the other hand, has a very strong defense in the form of his shield, while having respectable damage output with his basics and fireblast, ESPECIALLY if the enemyteam decides to line up. His ult is much less useful, but can still help in emergencies I suppose. His health isn't as overwhelming as Makoa, but still respectable.

Ruckus is just too squishy to be helpful as the only frontline, in my opinion. Barik can get away with his low health thanks to his shields and high damage potential, but Ruckus, even with his right-click and Q activated, just folds too quickly when focused. He has much higher damage potential than Fernando or Makoa, and maybe Barik, and his dash is objectively bettre than his competitor's, but he will inevitably be foced off the point either by death or bullying much earlier than the enemy's frontline, and that's always a great way to lose a point.

EDIT: Also, I wonder, what role do you guys think is the most helpful to double up in? I haven't played enough to be totally certain, but I'm kind of leaning towards frontline. A damage going down hurts, a flank less so, a support dying will suck but can be weathered. However, if you lose your frontline while the enemy's is still strong enough to sit on the point, it seems hard to really hold it, and once they're entrenched, it'll prove kinda difficult for the frontline to get back on the point and stay there. Also, as I talked about above, I feel like the frontlines support one another better than the other roles.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:54:44 pm by flame99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 11:08:56 am »

I haven't played recently, but when I did I tried Ying, Kinessa, Skye, and Cassie, and I liked how Cassie played best, and Skye second best.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 11:39:05 am »

EDIT: Also, I wonder, what role do you guys think is the most helpful to double up in? I haven't played enough to be totally certain, but I'm kind of leaning towards frontline. A damage going down hurts, a flank less so, a support dying will suck but can be weathered. However, if you lose your frontline while the enemy's is still strong enough to sit on the point, it seems hard to really hold it, and once they're entrenched, it'll prove kinda difficult for the frontline to get back on the point and stay there. Also, as I talked about above, I feel like the frontlines support one another better than the other roles.

I've found that double front line can be quite useful, and I've read that at higher levels of play that they prefer double front line, usually Fernando + someone else.

I have a hard enough time in pugs even getting one of each role though, I always last pick and try to fill, but on some days it just seems like nobody wants to play front line or support. I don't know why, none of the supports are Mercy levels of boring. Although I guess Ying is pretty close. I usually find if no one picked front line or support that front line is the better hole to fill. Having someone who can lock down or contest a point seems more important than having someone who can heal.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 04:47:06 pm »

Due to recent rebalancing Ying is now basically Paladins' Zenyatta.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 10:45:08 pm »

I've been playing this and it's been pretty fun, since a random person added me and we ended up adding more people and playing as a party. Tons of fun.
With the new patch, I got mad at Sha Lin ditching 7k damage in ~3 seconds with one use of his Q, so I promptly made a (rather throwaway/troll) thread called NERF SHA LIN, only to be promptly called retarded and etcetera. I can feel the sewers of MOBA games just flowing into this one..

But hey, the game's fun. I've been leveling up as many heroes to level 5 as I can, and I think I may have got all the 12 needed to play competitive. I prefer to play flankers, but I dislike Androxus and Buck is goddamn amazing (reminds me of Super Shotgun playstyle of Quake). I also love Ying, and many times I got more kills, damage and heals with her than everyone else on the match. Ying is amazing.

Double front-line is great. Fernando, Anti-tank Ruckus and Grover is the best frontline combo I've seen yet, but the other two damage/flankers needs to be decent players for it to shine.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 02:54:39 pm »

tried this game, and it sort of just made me miss tf2 :v

anyway, all i've been playing as is skye, which seems okay, at least against bots. the maps feel tiny though so its sort of hard to catch people out or find good flanking routes. also, her ult feels like "press e to win mid", which is pretty funny to me :V

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 [2]