Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [OOC] Lairds of Orren (4/4)  (Read 3004 times)

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC] Lairds of Orren (Sign up)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 09:40:31 pm »

@Shadestyle, Hm, a short description. Maybe you can answer these questions and shed some light on the character?

'Scholar' is a nebulous title. What does Rohan call her specialty? Why did she follow that path?

Wanderer or no, recruits need some form of history. Where is Rohan from, true or no?

The Lairds have some keen interest in Rohan. What makes her a special asset to them?

Functionally a Loremaster/Gossip-listener/Theorist  'Teacher' might cover her class's application better, but she does have the abilities of patience, learning, and teaching, she is best at teaching others things, so most of her skills in the magical and martial arts would be "Teach the theory of 'Summon tiny fireball'." while she herself cannot really use them.

As a Gypsy once upon a time, and a wanderer, her life was on the road with her close knit relatives, until striking out on her own to learn the ancient things and the new things that the world has learned and is learning, this left her with little money, no weapons aside from the barest minimum, and a bad habit of asking questions whose answers she should not know.

She knows a lot, and has the invaluble ability to keep good notes and explain things well, a must for keeping a group from making poor errors from misunderstanding the most basic of tasks, and her ability to survive wandering in spite of this is a nice bonus.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 09:14:19 am »

@Dwarmin, I can see why you reuse the character. Here's a few questions to see what Laird Kat is like.

After such poor fortune, it seems reasonable that Kat would keep to herself. Describe an instance where her wandering ways proved valuable... or when they were a hindrance.

Music is a luxury mostly lost to the world. Some say it has mystical properties. Describe a time where Kat's not-a-weapon appeared to have otherworldly properties.

All suffering leads to salvation... or at least that's what the lairds say. Kat has suffered, but what does she seek to ultimately gain from the lairds, if anything?

Kat tends to wander alone, but her survival ultimately depends on finding an audience to listen-she has found many such groups, always following them for a time, then leaving. One of the times her lack of conviction proved beneficial was when she found herself among the camp followers of a small army of militia soldiers. Their mission was to pierce deep into the unexplored wastes in search of secrets of some sort of long lost magic-led by a self proclaimed 'warlock' Cassandra Foot, known as a cruel, yet beautiful woman had supposedly mastered the lost 'dark arts. Though the true extent of her power is shrouded in mystery. What Kat saw in those rightly forbidden lands was terrifying, and beyond her living knowledge of men, gods and magic-perhaps, it was merely a hint of the evil that once tormented the world, and was now hopefully extinct. Ultimately, she joined the legions of deserters, and fled back to what amounted to civilization. Later, she heard that no one returned from that expedition alive...except, Cassandra herself. Supposedly bearing the awful prize she had sought, the exact nature of which no one would speak about out loud. Where she might hear you.

Her not-a-weapon is surely something amazing-the music it makes sometimes seems more than merely sounds, like something alive. Kat could recall once having spent all night playing a mourning song for supposedly dying young soldier by the name of Tom Drake (being well paid to do so by him)-yet, by mornings first light, his wounds were far less grave than the medico had predicted-he lived, and recovered. The young man, who became quite close to her in time, later claimed he had heard her beautiful music from the pits of Na'ar (also known as Hell)-and, his lost soul had found it lured back into his body. If true miracle, merely the power of belief, or a fever dream given form and function-or even just the Medico being more drunk than usual, and misdiagnosing a relatively minor injury as a fatal one-she could not say in truth.

Kat is young, and has a healthy distrust of most forms of authority from the events of her childhood. While she has a great deal of sympathy for the Lairds cause at the moment she merely views it as another army to follow, earning her daily bread through honest labor-she has at times, starved and gone destitute, and the lingering terror of those times means to her, that all causes to her come second to avoiding hunger and taking care of herself. Desperation makes one selfish, though for her it's life itself that she hungers for-she is still very much the stubborn and hot-tempered young woman who would rather flee her home, than accept a marriage to someone she didn't like-though, he actually wasn't all that bad, considering. She ultimately doesn't feel she has to prove herself to the Lairds-she feels they have to prove themselves to her.

If she wants of anything, it's clues to her brothers (whose name is Dan) ultimate fate, though she knows this for a fools task. There are many ways to vanish into the wastes, after all.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:11:30 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 04:36:13 pm »

The path to salvation is sullied by the failure of man. Tell me of a time, when you were training among the monks, that you were tempted by baser instincts. Did you return to barbarism, or did the teachings save you?

Many believe the gods died long ago, or were never there to begin with. A life among monks may have instilled a different message. What does Nix think of the gods?

Nix must have wondered why he was spared. What was he told of the men who destroyed his family, and gave him another chance?

Spoiler: Faithful agnosticism (click to show/hide)

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 05:26:56 pm »

Is this still happening?
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 07:58:35 pm »

Yep, I'm just hammering out some of the details for the intro. Should be up in the next couple days, time permitting.

Oh, it's gonna be the five of you that answered the follow-up, by the way.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2016, 10:09:59 pm »

Thread is up! S34, NRDL, Dwarmin, Shade, and Beirus, you're all set to post.

Here we go.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [OOC] Lairds of Orren (5/5)
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 08:16:29 am »

Btw, can we get all the player/character sheets listed in the OP of either this thread or the IC thread in one post?

It's getting confusing telling who is who.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 04:38:09 pm »

Btw, can we get all the player/character sheets listed in the OP of either this thread or the IC thread in one post?

It's getting confusing telling who is who.

Yep, thanks for reminding me.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 05:15:22 am »

Is there a wait list?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 08:24:31 am »

Is there a wait list?

Sure, don't see why not. Just throw down a character and I'll keep it in the OP. Though, I don't expect anyone to die anytime soon. If someone drops out, we can put you in.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 08:12:10 pm »

I am unable to keep up with the game to to prior obligations, I am sorry for having wasted your time.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2016, 08:14:17 pm »

I am unable to keep up with the game to to prior obligations, I am sorry for having wasted your time.

Life comes first man, don't feel bad.

We've got somebody on the waitlist anyway.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2016, 09:23:18 pm »

I understand, thanks for the heads up.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2016, 01:46:51 am »

I vill give character sheet in two seconds.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2016, 03:49:22 am »

Statistics:
Might: 3
Skill: 7
Mind: 10

Name: Grendabar Greymane

Appearance: An elderly man, with glasses, a grey beard, and books on a belt around his waist. Wears a long, ragged, brown and green cloak, over beige clothes. He does not look very strong.

Class: Historian/scholar who can use a bit of magic.

Bio: Gendabar was the lore - keeper of a large tribe of humans in a deep forest. His tribe was eventually soaked up by another, larger tribe where he became a fully blown scholer/historian. In this yribe, he learnt about the lost arts of magic, and strived to learn more, but this was not to be, since one day, the entire tribe was crushed by evil. He spent a long time as a slave to a corrupted tribe, where he was forced to write scriptures to be sent to the "gods" (aka the evil). Eventually, the Highlanders of Orren came and saved him and his tribe. He gladly joined up as a writer, so as to send orders back and forth throughout Orren's highlanders. He is now a laird, having learned a bit about magic, as well as miliatary tactics.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 [2] 3