Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Outside perspective. Or, the life and times of Jimbo.  (Read 1525 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Outside perspective. Or, the life and times of Jimbo.
« on: October 12, 2016, 07:00:05 pm »

So, I've hit a somewhat rough patch in my life. My job is contemplating layoffs and my entire division is under review. This really was never the job I wanted to do as a kid, so I'm working on a life plan to get my life back on path and I'm keeping it vague but simple and organized so even if there are disruptions it's still good. I talked it over with some friends and family who agree it's a good plan but I feel a little needy and worried and could use an outside perspective.

Some background:
I'm in my late twenties. I kinda wasted my twenties after getting out of the Air Force, working 2 good but dead-end jobs. One was security and the current one is for a local office IT group. Both have no upward movement capabilities or anymore raise potential but are good work environments and the people i worked with were okay. Both, most importantly, required no college degree. I went military after school because I was a shit head who didn't think I could get in anywhere decent. I had bad grades (2.7 GPA) and never took the SATs. Agh. Great ASVAB scores, 94, though.

So my plan is as follows for the full college and back on track plan:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some points: money isn't an issue, I've got money for tuition, classes, books. What I could save up for: living expenses, entertainment. I've had my hard knocks and partying. Unless I have an Old School moment and create a frat, I'm probably going to spend my time finishing homework and then playing games. Also, reenlistment with the reserves or national guard could be a thing at any point in the plan.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outside perspective. Or, the life and times of Jimbo.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 10:47:10 am »

What do you have for GI Bill bennies and where's the nearest major military base?

If you have a military education center near by, there's some chance that you can take free/discounted CLEP tests, then roll those into credits for a lot less time and trouble than taking the classes themselves would be.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 10:51:48 am »

What do you have for GI Bill bennies and where's the nearest major military base?

If you have a military education center near by, there's some chance that you can take free/discounted CLEP tests, then roll those into credits for a lot less time and trouble than taking the classes themselves would be.

I didn't even think of that, see, this is why posting random life experience and asking for advice on the internet is a good thing! I'll look into this, thanks.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 04:47:11 pm »

Hi!

I'm just here for moral support!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 06:20:19 pm »

Hi!

I'm just here for moral support!

Thanks! Some guys on here need it quite a bit more then I do, but even a few kind words eases my mind on this. The CLEP idea was good, I can study at my local library and my nearest Navy base does offer some discounted CLEPs, so I can at least knock out some of the basic courses.

Infinityforce

• Bay Watcher
  • NOW I AM ONE WITH THE COSMOS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 02:34:06 pm »

Good luck with whatever happens. You seem strong and well-adjusted, I hope you'll do fine :)
Just be yourself, can't be no one else.
Just let it flow, and let the shit go.
Make your name, earn fame, avoid blame.
Try your best, beat the test and forget about the rest.
Know who you are, a brilliant shining star.
Do it for yourself, the world, love and health.

Get out there and show what a solid, good person you are can be. You seem the trustworthy type.
Are you a team-player? Look out for others? It comes across in the way you speak and act.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 08:25:13 am »

Bumping with great justice.

So, I did end up getting laid off. At least it was a lay off and not a involuntary termination and my manager wrote me a great recommendation letter. This actually brought up a interesting idea. Maybe I can do a whole 4 year college at UF, my manager who gave me the letter offered to write another one for UF as he is an alumni. He wasn't like a 4.0 GPA Valedictorian but he did graduate with a 3.5 and he did like me and my work. I could call up my old Security manager and get him to write one too. He only went to FSCJ, a local state community college, but he did good there. I'm reasonably confident in writing a essay/letter as well.

Of course, this necessitates getting excellent SAT scores to go with those so I can make up for my poor high school career.

And to pay for this, I need another job to pay for admissions and the SATs themselves. The job hunt is quite mixed. A lot of interviews and interest but no calls or offers yet. I blame the elections.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 11:50:24 am »

Good luck man!   Also you should check on GI Bill, I think it can be used to pay for SATs and admission fees.   Quick google: for one college: What fees are covered by the GI BILL? If you are under 100% coverage for Post 9/11 benefits, the GI Bill will cover the admissions fee after your acceptance, tuition .." and from http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_gibill.asp under "National Testing" "Advancing your education often requires you to take costly national tests. Students can be reimbursed all required (mandatory) fees charged for national admission tests and national tests for college credit."  includes SAT, GRE, CLEP, etc.