- 4 (22.2%)
005, Venom
- 0 (0%)
006, Psion
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: October 23, 2016, 05:19:11 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Life of a UFO Commander  (Read 21963 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Life of a UFO Commander
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 07:23:03 pm »

We could probably use the Abomination to feed the Hunter also if we don't just deploy the Hunter somewhere immediately.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 07:25:41 pm »

Design tests based around problem-solving, determining the new Cat-man's ability to work through challenges, with the end goal for the creature being food/prey.  Provide distractions in the form of temperature changes, loud noise, etc, to test what wins out: instinctive reaction or rational thinking.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 07:27:57 pm »

We could probably use the Abomination to feed the Hunter also if we don't just deploy the Hunter somewhere immediately.
Could. If we need to. We highly doubt that the creature will starve to death in only a few day-tenths, though.

((Day-tenths: tenths of a day. Alien culture, yeh?))
~~~
Design tests based around problem-solving, determining the new Cat-man's ability to work through challenges, with the end goal for the creature being food/prey.  Provide distractions in the form of temperature changes, loud noise, etc, to test what wins out: instinctive reaction or rational thinking.

This is good. Let's do this. Be sure to include at least a few tests with simulated humans, also. At the end of some of the tests (33.3% to 25% or so), provide a reward of some kind. Maybe we can pick up another Myooou creature for food.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2016, 07:33:25 pm »

^+1

Yes. A pair of metal gauntlets that can extrude plasma/energy/whatnot claws, connected to the wearer's neural system so they can trigger at a thought. Surely the huumens must have workshops with supplies you can steal somewhere, right?

If we can't do that, how about we cannibalize some of Abomination's bones and other biomass and create a pair of "gauntlets" that can extrude bone claws at a thought as a result of neutral connection. Not as good, but helps us get some more experience with biology.
No bone, and nothing from our ship. Let's use some humin metal, something titanium. There should be some some titanium scrap metal in orbit, these fools care nothing about [Kessler syndrome].
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2016, 07:35:28 pm »

There should be some some titanium scrap metal in orbit

Brilliant idea! Why risk alerting the X-Com when we can succeed at the same objectives without doing so?

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2016, 07:45:13 pm »

+1  to titanium gauntlet idea.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2016, 07:48:11 pm »

Maybe run electricity through the gauntlets.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2016, 08:08:32 pm »

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

KiwiOui

• Bay Watcher
  • Genetic monstrosity of unknown origin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2016, 06:34:30 am »

You set to running tests on the Hunter, mostly mazes, at first. Force fields laid over the holograms provide touch.The first two tests show that it can eventually navigate through, but on the third, it simply climbs onto the walls, and balances to the holographic prey. As a reward, you head north again, to pick up a few 'Myouuus' for the Hunter to eat. Other tests condition stealth, and teach it to recognize houmuns as prey. Currently, you've got it set in a loop of tests to condition in stealth. The 'Myouus' are given as food at the end of some tests.

You decide some form of claw-bracer would make the best use of it's instincts. Your craft rockets into the orbital path known as 'Graveyard Orbit'. Over the course of a few Day-Tenths, enough scrap has been collected to melt and shape in the fabricators, as well as rubber insulation to line the bracers. One of your batteries is placed where the palm would be, and you work on a subdermal cord to connect to the brain.

After the tests, in which it performed admirably, it gets a shot of anesthetic, and is prepped for surgery. The wire pokes out at the wrist as a connection port for the glove, an from there is run to the back, up the spine, and into the brain stem. Linked to the Hunter's idea of hunting and pouncing, connection is seamless. And to your good fortune, everything works out well, down to the electrification of the claws.
+6 Science Points

As if that wasn't enough, a familiar little menu pops up on your console, upgrades galore.
Available Upgrades: (Please pick one.)
*Heavy Laser Battery- More powerful defense systems.
*Area Scanners- Data on subject numbers and settlements.
*Medium Range Tractor Beam- Reaches longer, lifts more.
*Biogenerator- Create biomass and organs.
*Long-Term Containment- Be equipped to feed one creature over long periods of time.

Spoiler: Ship (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Subjects (click to show/hide)

Kiwis- Odd man out of both the animal and plant kingdoms.
Didn't we get the pilot? Can't we scan his brain?
If we did, +1, but I think they either got scrambled by the tractor beam or got blown out into space.
This is a normal discussion, folks.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2016, 07:12:33 am »

Get Area Scanners, use them to determine more accurate information on houmun numbers, technology, organisational structure, and other pertinent information.  As long as we don't have to get too close to a city and risk detection.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2016, 07:46:10 am »

How about the Biogenorator that way we can produce a couple of our Hunters for further science on what happens when they're in a group.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2016, 08:02:39 am »

I'd rather have the weapon upgrade, in case we're intercepted. First we think of our own survival, then we get shinier toys with which to do !!Science!!.

Now, I wonder what would happen if we cross an octopus with a (damn, I can't seem to get their name right...) houman? Houmin? Vermin? Whatever. Maybe also add some corrosive slime or something... Let's get some new subjects on which to play.

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2016, 08:34:19 am »

Available upgrade options detected. Analyzing...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So... basically our request should depend on X-Com's capabilities and situation.

Recount current known X-Com operating capabilities and probability that they've detected us.

If probability of imminent X-Com attack is high, go for the laser battery. Otherwise, go for Long-Term Containment-it's the upgrade we can't do without. We need to be able to keep multiple specimens without any risk of them killing each other, after all. Plus it'll likely lead to even better containment structures, which we will also need. Ideally, the next upgrade after this should be either the tractor beam, the bio-generator, or the next level of containment, for maximized bio-engineering and Science capability.
~~~
How about the Biogenorator that way we can produce a couple of our Hunters for further science on what happens when they're in a group.
Biogenerator produces biomass-unlikely to produce full specimens. Projection of use of multiple Clawed Hunters: infighting based on natural personality. Black Jaguar appears to be a solitary hunter. Put multiples of them together? You do the projection.
~~~
((But if you want a pack of beast-men, we can always abduct some wolves.))

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2016, 09:12:21 am »

I'm for the laser, and we can create a pack once we better containment; right now we're just mix-matching to get a broad view.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2016, 10:22:26 am »

laser
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12